• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Credit Card Fraud

DaWiz9578

Got a call from area code I didnt recognize so didnt answer. They actually left me a voicemail and said it was a guy from Culinary Classics out of chicago and someone was trying to use my credit card and they verified it as stolen. He left his name and number. Instead of calling them back I called my credit card company, they said everything looks fine (no flags or pending charges) and didnt recommend calling the number because they could be fishing.

About 30 mins later the sheriffs show up at my house and say they have information to pass along that someone from Culinary Classics called them and said someone has stolen my information and is trying to use it in Chicago. The name and number the Sheriffs provided does not match the one from the voicemail.

Any input? Figure cancel my card and get a new one at minimum? Should I call one of the numbers back?

I dunno. Sounds strange to me. I would ask my credit card company to issue a new card (new number) just to be safe and not call them back. I've never heard of a vendor doing this. The card either gets denied or goes through, its usually the credit card company managing the fraud stuff.

One concern is they obviously have some info on you (address, phone, name), they may have other info. You might want to consider is putting a security freeze on your credit report. I do this for me and my wife. It basically prevents the credit reporting agencies form providing your credit report to anyone. If someone uses your info to try to take out a loan, when the lender tries to get a credit report, they'll get blocked and they won't open the account. If you actually want to take out some new credit, you can temporarily lift your freeze. Google security freeze if you're interested. You need to do it with all 3 credit agencies: Equifax, TransUnion, Experian. But you can do it all online. I think it's free to put on but then you have to pay $10 or so everytime you want to lift it.

Not Sure. Thats a new one. Cant Imagine why a scammer would send the sheriffs to your house. Do you know they have the CC number already or are they just fishing? Did you google search the company to see if their legit & have a real brick and Morter shop? Otherwise i would see what the police thought you should do and then as you said, get a new card and block the numbers.

Why a sheriff cares about credit fraud is beyond me. So the whole thing sounds suspicious.

I'd call the issuing company and have them cancel the card and give you a new one. Forget about the sheriff or person calling you.

Also doesn't hurt to do a soft pull of your credit to see recent activity. Lots of free credit reporting websites but experian, equifax, etc. would all be able to give you a soft credit report. Or you could visit a bank or pay a company for a hard pull.

Cancelled the credit card and they have a new one (new number) coming my way. Ill look into the credit freeze.

I was curious about the sheriffs as well but he said he does it more than you'd think, passing along information. Guess that means crime is down??

Out of pure curiosity I called the first number back and he said they have been dealing with someone out of NJ trying to place large orders with stolen credit card numbers. Yesterday he gave them one from Aurora CO and today mine. So they were keeping file and confirming them all and trying to build a case against him and turn it over to the proper authorities.

Who knows. I said credit card is cancelled and I appreciate it I guess and hung up. Never said yes or my name or anything like that cuz Ive heard they can use that for voice recognition? It all kind of makes you want to bury money out back haha.

Also googled the name the Sherriffs provided and it came up with a linkedin out of chicago under the correct company. Not to say it isnt some fake account, but quite the web theyre spinning if its fake.

Cancelled the credit card and they have a new one (new number) coming my way. Ill look into the credit freeze.

I was curious about the sheriffs as well but he said he does it more than you'd think, passing along information. Guess that means crime is down??

Out of pure curiosity I called the first number back and he said they have been dealing with someone out of NJ trying to place large orders with stolen credit card numbers. Yesterday he gave them one from Aurora CO and today mine. So they were keeping file and confirming them all and trying to build a case against him and turn it over to the proper authorities.

Who knows. I said credit card is cancelled and I appreciate it I guess and hung up. Never said yes or my name or anything like that cuz Ive heard they can use that for voice recognition? It all kind of makes you want to bury money out back haha.

Also googled the name the Sherriffs provided and it came up with a linkedin out of chicago under the correct company. Not to say it isnt some fake account, but quite the web theyre spinning if its fake.

The fact that they didn't ask you for more personal info makes their story sound pretty legit. Either way, you got a new card #. Now, for the pain ass: you have to change your Netflix / Amazon and other recurring charge accounts!

The fact that they didn't ask you for more personal info makes their story sound pretty legit. Either way, you got a new card #. Now, for the pain ass: you have to change your Netflix / Amazon and other recurring charge accounts!
Luckily the wife handles all of that. I pay the mortgage, save and invest. We tried joint accounts and cards and it lasted about 3 months. you wouldnt know we were married until tax time.

Its getting crazy out there. I have several scammers that call on a daily basis for every trick in the book (every scam has a name). Always cancel card and get new one. I have had mine stolen from gas pumps and from some gov data breach twice. For some reason, I get calls for a Janet Conolly almost daily since 2014. It has gotten so bad that I made a youtube channel of me leading these people on when they call. My phone recorder app went down so its been a while since I have recorded one. “Scamminjanet” dont take no lip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had to cancel two credit cards in my life because they were compromised.

Not exactly related but, this thread reminded me of this Ted Talk.

I dunno. Sounds strange to me. I would ask my credit card company to issue a new card (new number) just to be safe and not call them back. I've never heard of a vendor doing this. The card either gets denied or goes through, its usually the credit card company managing the fraud stuff.

One concern is they obviously have some info on you (address, phone, name), they may have other info. You might want to consider is putting a security freeze on your credit report. I do this for me and my wife. It basically prevents the credit reporting agencies form providing your credit report to anyone. If someone uses your info to try to take out a loan, when the lender tries to get a credit report, they'll get blocked and they won't open the account. If you actually want to take out some new credit, you can temporarily lift your freeze. Google security freeze if you're interested. You need to do it with all 3 credit agencies: Equifax, TransUnion, Experian. But you can do it all online. I think it's free to put on but then you have to pay $10 or so everytime you want to lift it.
Thanks for sharing, that is a great idea.

Back