• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Critique my idea- all rope system

scottprice

I’m really considering I’m selling my Ropeman1 and going to an all rope system for lineman and tether. I don’t really care what other saddle guys are doing, but you will not find an arborist using a ropeman like saddle hunters do…. I’m looking at Oplux or Sterling HTP 9mm for both lineman belt and tether ( feel free to suggest other smallish diameter ropes ) and then use some type of friction hitch with a tender for one hand use on the lineman belt. I’d get 5 or 6mm accessory cord for the hitches for good bite

I also do not think I will bother buying ropes with eyes sewn/spliced into them. The small diameter ropes will allow for manageable knots and low bulk

From what I've read a lot of guys are using an all rope system. I like shiny mechanical stuff. So for now at least I'm using mechanical ascenders in my system.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I just started saddle hunting this year and have been using all rope set up. Not even sure what kind of rope it is. I have found that the prusik can be very hard to adjust. I always need two hands to move it and sometimes two hands aren't available. I think it would be nice to use a ropeman for that quick one handed adjustments, but I really don't know anything about which is safer or anything like that.

I have found that the prusik can be very hard to adjust. I always need two hands to move it and sometimes two hands aren't available. I think it would be nice to use a ropeman for that quick one handed adjustments, but I really don't know anything about which is safer or anything like that.
Get a tender

What is a tender?

I googled it and figured it out. I will have to try that out. Thank you for the tip!

While I'm not bashing your choice to go all rope, which i think is a fine idea really, arborist do use rope grabs all the time. Typically on their lineman's belt. The main reason it isn't a ropeman is because there are some slightly larger ones that are easier to operate one handed, and the ropeman requires a carabinier to jam the rope were as most other rope grabs use the body of the device. The main reason you don't see the arborist using one on there climbing line/ the saddle hunters tether is that tree climbing friction hitches allow for both ascending and most importantly descending underload. That is important because they are often in situations where they wouldn't be able to unweight the device to lower without additional gear or foot locking both of which would be tedious as the device is meant to hold or ascend the rope and not descend.

So thats why you don't see it used in a similar fashion. That being said a Blake's hitch, Distal, VT, Knut, etc are all perfectly acceptable replacements for a ropeman and have some advantages and disadvantages. If you plan on going all rope you could climb and descend with these knots as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just started saddle hunting this year and have been using all rope set up. Not even sure what kind of rope it is. I have found that the prusik can be very hard to adjust. I always need two hands to move it and sometimes two hands aren't available. I think it would be nice to use a ropeman for that quick one handed adjustments, but I really don't know anything about which is safer or anything like that.
Also try a Distal, schwabisch hitch with a tender very smooth for a all rope system, or a Knut hitch uses itself to create a tending bend. Results depend on you rope/prussik type combinations of how well they bite and release.

I’m really considering I’m selling my Ropeman1 and going to an all rope system for lineman and tether. I don’t really care what other saddle guys are doing, but you will not find an arborist using a ropeman like saddle hunters do…. I’m looking at Oplux or Sterling HTP 9mm for both lineman belt and tether ( feel free to suggest other smallish diameter ropes ) and then use some type of friction hitch with a tender for one hand use on the lineman belt. I’d get 5 or 6mm accessory cord for the hitches for good bite

I also do not think I will bother buying ropes with eyes sewn/spliced into them. The small diameter ropes will allow for manageable knots and low bulk

Reading your post, I wonder if you're being influenced by what's currently being discussed as the "latest and greatest." Oplux is a fairly recent entrant into the SH world. Why are you looking at that? There is nothing wrong with the slightly larger more conventional ropes like predator (which is very ropeman friendly). And there's nothing wrong with letting more experienced guys use Oplux for a season or two before you jump in. I'm using predator on my kestrel this season, and might go to Oplux next year depending on how it reviews here in the future.

Good luck, have fun.

Reading your post, I wonder if you're being influenced by what's currently being discussed as the "latest and greatest." Oplux is a fairly recent entrant into the SH world. Why are you looking at that? There is nothing wrong with the slightly larger more conventional ropes like predator (which is very ropeman friendly). And there's nothing wrong with letting more experienced guys use Oplux for a season or two before you jump in. I'm using predator on my kestrel this season, and might go to Oplux next year depending on how it reviews here in the future.

Good luck, have fun.
Biggest oplux attraction was size (diameter) Also looked at bee-line and some others

Also try a Distal, schwabisch hitch with a tender very smooth for a all rope system, or a Knut hitch uses itself to create a tending bend. Results depend on you rope/prussik type combinations of how well they bite and release.

Thank you for the ideas. Great Stuff! I'm looking forward to trying out the Knut hitch. That looks pretty slick!

Read the ditch the Ropeman thread. Lots of good ideas for you there. I just ordered oplux 8mm from DanO. Excellent rope

Back