• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crooked trees

Rex920

New member and new to saddle hunting I have a question on attaching sticks to crooked trees. I have two step hawk heilum sticks. Are there any tips or tricks to use when the tree has twists or turns that dont allow for four points of contact with the stick standoffs?

Here's a thread on tree selection. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/tree-selection.14693/#post-213783

I've hunted on crooked trees...if you're using using sticks then place the stick on top of the tree...that way you stay on the top of the tree. Once at hunting height, make sure you put your tether high enough to hold you in place. If you lean to one side...gravity is a strong reminder of who's stronger and will win. I have attached my linemans belt so that it allows me to pull myself close to the tree in the likely even that gravity wins. the linemans belt keeps you relatively close to the tree should you have to pull yourself back to the tree.

Here's a thread on tree selection. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/tree-selection.14693/#post-213783

I've hunted on crooked trees...if you're using using sticks then place the stick on top of the tree...that way you stay on the top of the tree. Once at hunting height, make sure you put your tether high enough to hold you in place. If you lean to one side...gravity is a strong reminder of who's stronger and will win. I have attached my linemans belt so that it allows me to pull myself close to the tree in the likely even that gravity wins. the linemans belt keeps you relatively close to the tree should you have to pull yourself back to the tree.

I'll add that there are a number of Youtube videos - I think I'm picturing NY Saddle Hunter's video in particular - on placing a positioning tether in leaning trees.

More specific to your question - this is a good application for an aider, which would give you more latitude in your distance between sticks. I've had success with 3 points of contact instead of 4 but I avoid it if at all possible. If the tree is too gnarly for your sticks, you might look at a rope ascender system like DRT or SRT or 2TC or JRB.

I used hawks for a long time. My two cents: leaning away from you isn’t too bad but your stick will tilt so like llama said get the top in contact. Leaning left or right be extremely careful, even with the top in contact you can still expect a shift. Even if you get the stick very snug the bark can still give and you’ll have an unexpected shift at the purchase point where your standoff makes contact with the tree, this is compounded if you’re using an aider where your weight acts like a pendulum. I experienced this very early in my adventures with saddle hunting, I was climbing a soft bark tree and my stand-off peeled the bark right off like peeling an apple and I just about took a header right off the tree. Also, depending on your weight, the angle of your stick, etc that’s a lot of force for just one stand-off to bear. You’re dealing with a hawk stick, not a custom made solution like a beast or EWO or OOAL. I’ve bent the foot pegs on my old heliums and that was just with regular climbing. The foot pegs aren’t stand offs sure, but hey.
So I said all that to say this, IMO if you can’t make four points of contact with a helium, don’t. But since we’re saddlehunters and prone to doing questionable things, get the top tight and snug that thing down like your life depends on it which in this case it very well might.

I used hawks for a long time. My two cents: leaning away from you isn’t too bad but your stick will tilt so like llama said get the top in contact. Leaning left or right be extremely careful, even with the top in contact you can still expect a shift. Even if you get the stick very snug the bark can still give and you’ll have an unexpected shift at the purchase point where your standoff makes contact with the tree, this is compounded if you’re using an aider where your weight acts like a pendulum. I experienced this very early in my adventures with saddle hunting, I was climbing a soft bark tree and my stand-off peeled the bark right off like peeling an apple and I just about took a header right off the tree. Also, depending on your weight, the angle of your stick, etc that’s a lot of force for just one stand-off to bear. You’re dealing with a hawk stick, not a custom made solution like a beast or EWO or OOAL. I’ve bent the foot pegs on my old heliums and that was just with regular climbing. The foot pegs aren’t stand offs sure, but hey.
So I said all that to say this, IMO if you can’t make four points of contact with a helium, don’t. But since we’re saddlehunters and prone to doing questionable things, get the top tight and snug that thing down like your life depends on it which in this case it very well might.

Thanks for that feedback/advice. I have backed out of a couple trees I thought were the perfect location because I just could not get the helium's standoffs to make more than two points. I learned early on an old Hickory tree that some trees are best left alone. I'll check out the other sticks you mentioned.

Thanks

Thanks for that feedback/advice. I have backed out of a couple trees I thought were the perfect location because I just could not get the helium's standoffs to make more than two points. I learned early on an old Hickory tree that some trees are best left alone. I'll check out the other sticks you mentioned.

Thanks
Rex I love one sticking but the 1 limiting factor for me is which tree to climb. Unfortunately I am trying to find telephone poles that don’t lean too much…….I am fortunate to have an abundance of them in a variety of species here in North Georgia. On a leaner it’s sort of a trade off. Low side your aider step gives lots of room to get foot in, high side it’s resting against the tree and takes effort. I’ve had luck on the sides, but again if it leans too much and and I can’t get at least 3 good points of contact, I’m finding myself another tree. BTW-3good points to me means that that one that comes off, barely comes off and the other side doesn’t slide over. If it does, I’m done.
All that said, I am gonna learn SRT next, just so I can get right up in the knarliest biggest white oaks I have already found……just like the old Hickories you mentioned. I’ll keep my one sticking act for favorable trees, but I’m having fun learning and hope you are too!

Back