• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crossbow Bolt/Broadhead Recommendations

CptFrank

So i am totally new to shooting a crossbow. I grew up gun hunting but now that i live in a new area and don't have access to private land, i want to take advantage of bow seasons as well. I know having a crossbow is not an excuse to forego practicing but i figured it would be an easier transition than learning to shoot a compound. I've had the xbow out a few times and am getting used to the mechanics of it but i have only shot the arrows it was supplied with (Killer instinct 415 with carbon arrows and 100g field tips). Now that i am starting to think about how i want to get set up for hunting i am totally overwhelmed by the amount of info on broadheads so if anyone has any recommendations i would be greatly appreciated. I will mostly be hunting deer but would love to take some hogs so if that changes things at all please let me know.

Some of my specific questions are:
1) Is there a consensus between fixed and mechanical or to each there own?
2) Is there a difference between heavier and lighter broadheads? I get that for the same speed heavier will penetrate better but when you factor in the slower speed a heavier arrow will go, whats the tradeoff?
3) (Sorry if this is a dumb one) Do arrows & broadheads shot at an animal ever get reused? I'm sure they are often damaged but idk if they are always damaged.
4) Are the stock arrows it was supplied with or should i look for something stronger/lighter/better?
5) Whats preferred Cut on contact or chisel/punching tip?
6) Feel free to add any advice/answers that i dont even know i dont know.

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend tooth of the arrow broadheads. I have these on my crossbow bolts and they are tough as nails and scary sharp. You will be able to reuse the broadhead/bolt combination if they are not damaged. Should the bolt pass though the deer without damage to the bolt then yes. You can use the bolt again and again. However inspect both the broadhead and bolt. With the broadhead you can resharpen and reuse. I personally do not use a mechanical bh. Reason is that I want the head to be fixed..just my personal preference. With the speeds of the bolt, you can use a 100 grain and be fine. All of the bolt/crossbow companies use the standard 100 grain head combos. Stock arrows are fine out to 25-30 yards. However I would look at spinal tapp or https://www.tapp-nation.com/index.php?cPath=95_139_140. He knows his stuff and is one of the best in the business for custom crossbow bolts.

I prefer a heavy arrow with high FOC %. I use GT nitro 500's with 110gr brass inserts and a 125gr magnus black hornet or muzzy trocar. I prefer mass weight as that increases momentum better than speed. Momentum is the force that will determine pass through or not. Fast arrows reduce the range estimation misses since the faster the arrow the flatter the trajectory. I use a rangefinder and ballistic reticle so guessing isnt necessary.

I use Spynal Tapps with 100gr Ramcat fixed heads and will not hesitate to take a 70 yd shot in a field situation. In the woods I keep it to 50.

John H.

My wife hunts with a crossbow. I have her set up with Luminok Bolts and Muzzy Trocar 125gr on the end. Very effective indeed.

Back