• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crossbow Conundrum

DelaWhere_Arrow

SH Member
First of all, I have no problem with crossbow use. Zero. I don’t care how or why you use one or don’t, they’re a perfectly legitimate hunting tool and yes, I believe they even belong in archery seasons without restrictions.
I bought one this Summer for a few reasons:
1) I’m getting my daughter into hunting this year and she’s a long way from pulling a 45lb vertical bow, nor is she allowed to hunt from elevation yet so my bow is impossible to draw in our ground blind, necessitating a crossbow.
2) I have a host of injuries and owwwwwies from years of martial arts, weightlifting, and back-breaking physical labors. Plus bending down to pick babies up for the last 7 years has really taken a toll on my lower back and neck.
3) a pinched nerve in my left shoulder comes back to haunt me every month or so. It’s usually not a big deal but twice last year, I locked up drawing my 55# bow on deer and couldn’t get the string drawn more than a couple of inches. I recently turned it up to 60# peak and can usually draw easily. Needless to say those deer never became dinner. In heavy winter clothes and cold weather when when my shoulder is feeling pinchy, drawing is nearly impossible.
4) Sometimes deer and turkeys will hang out within 40-50 yards of my garage or fewer. I would never snuff my nose at an opportunity to fill such a gimme tag, and the crossbow turns those marginal 35-40yd shot distances into much more manageable ones. Still not into taking extremely long shots, but I don’t consider 35-40 out of xbow range in the open yard.
5) Turkeys. A lot less movement, I can shoot sharp scary expandables at high speed with decently heavy bolts, and the sheer stopping power of a bolt is intimidating.
6) Coyotes. Night optics and such are much more suited to crossbow than vertical, and I don’t love the idea of sending a $40+ arrow through a mangy yote when my bolts are cheaper and easier to aim/shoot overall.

Okay so if you’ve stuck with me this far, here’s the conundrum: what if a big buck comes in front of my xbow? I’m legitimately getting anxious that I would hesitate to shoot because it’s not with a vertical bow. Again, I have no ill will towards xbow use, and indeed I want the xbow to taste blood from a doe, turkey, or coyote, I just have a mental hurdle telling me I’d be somehow disappointed to not shoot a buck specifically with a vertical bow, since 99% of the time I’m able to draw it. I haven’t felt the “need” to relieve my shoulder of it. I have left the xbow on the hook 3 or 4 times already this season in favor of my compound, in anticipation that bringing the xbow would almost certainly egg Nature on to bring a bruiser right to me, and I’d choke on the opportunity just because of some weird tainted feeling I merely ASSUME I’m going to get.

Anyone else feel this way? Anyone wanna tell me to suck it up and just shoot whatever weapon at whatever animal I need to? Got a different solution? Cautionary or funny tales of the same feelings or situations arising?

TLDR: despite recognizing all the upsides to xbow use, I have a mental block on using it to shoot a nice buck. What’s my deal, yo?!

Agree with @BuffaloBill. Some may also be the negative stigma that goes along with crossbows such as it’s too easy, it’s not a real bow, it takes no skill blah blah blah. The 8 point I harvested this year I didn’t feel bad about one bit. As a matter of fact I was completely relaxed(other than the adrenaline from that toad) in the knowledge that I’d have good shot placement and my shoulder wasn’t gonna give out or my neck wasn’t gonna spaz on me. 60 yards later my confidence was rewarded. I’ll miss my compound for sure but I’ll never go back.

Following. I moved away from the crossbow and said I was gonna save it for the kids. Well after watching them drop a few, I can't make my mind up. Since I loaded the Single Bevels in the end, I haven't seen one go past 50 yards when hit. Last year I shot one because my compound was out of service. But I also missed one with it as well using the wrong yardage. It's such an efficient piece of equipment.... I enjoy the simplicity. But enjoy the compound cool factor.

Bro. These are questions only you can answer for yourself. The "which weapon should I take into the woods?" is imposed by your ego, nobody else. You've already provided enough evidence to yourself substantiating the notion that a crossbow is an acceptable choice for harvesting deers. At this point you're just asking the internet to agree that you won't make fun of yourself later.

Agree with @BuffaloBill. Some may also be the negative stigma that goes along with crossbows such as it’s too easy, it’s not a real bow, it takes no skill blah blah blah. The 8 point I harvested this year I didn’t feel bad about one bit. As a matter of fact I was completely relaxed(other than the adrenaline from that toad) in the knowledge that I’d have good shot placement and my shoulder wasn’t gonna give out or my neck wasn’t gonna spaz on me. 60 yards later my confidence was rewarded. I’ll miss my compound for sure but I’ll never go back.
Although I don’t ACTUALLY feel those negative feelings towards xbows, I’m sure they’re subconsciously influencing me. But you and Bill both bring up excellent points.

Bro. These are questions only you can answer for yourself. The "which weapon should I take into the woods?" is imposed by your ego, nobody else. You've already provided enough evidence to yourself substantiating the notion that a crossbow is an acceptable choice for harvesting deers. At this point you're just asking the internet to agree that you won't make fun of yourself later.
Dude that’s so…revealing. Not really what I meant to convey but definitely an observation worth its merit. I bring the “problem” here though for exactly this reason. Sometimes telling yourself is not enough. It’s not so much an ego massage as an ego wake-up slap, in the vein of your reply. Like yeah, I probably would feel some kind of shame if I were left to my own thoughts about it, or maybe not, but I DID (do? Hmmm) need someone like yourself aka “the internet” to help me figure out how I really feel. plus there’s a lot of ppl on here that can/have just today tout the virtues of both xbow and compound. And I feel like there’s less judgement both ways on here than anywhere else, including my own mind. Except for you trad guys, you’re straight insufferably judgey :laughing:.
You practice and practice and practice with your vertical bow for weeks, much longer usually, to get hunting-accurate out to what, 30 yds? then in an afternoon, can be ready to hunt to 40 or 50 with a crossbow if everything is right and tight. On some level my psyche feels actually bad about this. Like hey dummy, what a waste of time the compound was OR hey dummy, WHY did you waste all that time with the compound if this is so much more efficient OR hey dummy, don’t waste all that practice with the compound just because you can reach out a little further with a little less practice. But why? Like you said, I’ve already told myself many good reasons why it’s perfectly acceptable. And there’s no reason why I can’t use both at different times. Maybe it’s because I haven’t actually harvested anything with xbow yet. Maybe a cold day will change my mind in an instant. I dunno.

Following. I moved away from the crossbow and said I was gonna save it for the kids. Well after watching them drop a few, I can't make my mind up. Since I loaded the Single Bevels in the end, I haven't seen one go past 50 yards when hit. Last year I shot one because my compound was out of service. But I also missed one with it as well using the wrong yardage. It's such an efficient piece of equipment.... I enjoy the simplicity. But enjoy the compound cool factor.
You’re pretty well dialed into my head.

Two things... One, you can reach out to @kyler1945 for an internet ego slap any time you like. He's more than willing to oblige at a moments notice. Two, the buck in my freezer didn't seem at all concerned about being zipped through from 38yds by a Magnus-tipped bolt flung from my crossbow and not a 2 blade Grizzly-tipped arrow flung from my stickbow. And even after I got close and picked up his head by his rack he didn't mention that it was a waste for me to practice all summer long with my stick and string until I could poke vitals 9 out of 10 times at 30yds.

Having done exactly what you just described, I'm resting easy tonight knowing our freezer is one deer fuller. No ragrets.

I really dont care how I kill the deer, as long as I didnt do it with my truck lol. I'm a results matter kind of guy, I dont give style points for the how. My farmers I hunt on, want every deer dead. They dont care how they are killed either. They don't care what internet rando's think about your kills either/

I really dont care how I kill the deer, as long as I didnt do it with my truck lol. I'm a results matter kind of guy, I dont give style points for the how. My farmers I hunt on, want every deer dead. They dont care how they are killed either. They don't care what internet rando's think about your kills either/
They would probably ask why your not using the crossbow and stacking em high.

To be fair, I don’t care what you internetos think of how I kill my deer. After turkey season, I might put some corn out. If I’m feeling juicy, I’ll poke one at 31 even though I told y’all my limit is like 25. If I shoot a spike instead of a 22pt, I’ll still share it in LftS because I’m proud of it, not because I care what y’all think. I care what I think. And I’m thinking too much apparently! THAT’s where y’all come in.
But your point is very well made. Perfectly made, in fact. And once again I’m in a position to thank the fine users of SH.com.

Edit: this was in reply to @SNIPERBBB fine addition to the thread.

Cons to the crossbow. A little more weight. Gotta worry about limbs left to right when shooting around a tree.
Pros. Strait, accurate, easy of use..
Cons to the compound. Takes a little more practice. Higher chance for error on shot. Some internet keyboard jockey who hunts 500+ Acer farm full of big bucks says your not a real hunter.
Pros. Little bit lighter. It fits it shoots eassier. Keep your internet man card!

Enjoy the hunt. How ever you do it. I actually just fired a few arrows on my compound before I go tomorrow morning. I'm going with it tomorrow at least. I have meat in the freezer. So no extra incentive to get on. Looking for a slam dunk at 25 and in..

I can't do it...gave a buddy too much grief over getting one, perfectly able bodied, just didn't want to put the time in with practice.
Ooooohhh we have an evildoer in the chat finally!
Do tell.
Ironically enough I don’t really enjoy practicing with the crossbow by comparison to the compound or recurve. I like it, but more out of necessity than desire. I’m the total opposite of your buddy in that regard.

Cons to the crossbow. A little more weight. Gotta worry about limbs left to right when shooting around a tree.
Pros. Strait, accurate, easy of use..
Cons to the compound. Takes a little more practice. Higher chance for error on shot. Some internet keyboard jockey who hunts 500+ Acer farm full of big bucks says your not a real hunter.
Pros. Little bit lighter. It fits it shoots eassier. Keep your internet man card!

Enjoy the hunt. How ever you do it. I actually just fired a few arrows on my compound before I go tomorrow morning. I'm going with it tomorrow at least. I have meat in the freezer. So no extra incentive to get on. Looking for a slam dunk at 25 and in..
Love this reasoning.

Ooooohhh we have an evildoer in the chat finally!
Do tell.
Ironically enough I don’t really enjoy practicing with the crossbow by comparison to the compound or recurve. I like it, but more out of necessity than desire. I’m the total opposite of your buddy in that regard.
good thing about the xbow is you dont need to practice much with it...lube up the rails and wax the string, verify 0 and go kill stuff.

I can't do it...gave a buddy too much grief over getting one, perfectly able bodied, just didn't want to put the time in with practice.
What sounds better. Happy wife, happy kids, maintenance done around the house and cars. Kill deer in the fall not having to worry about the time you put into shooting a bow that fires in a horizontal plane versus a vertical?
Or unhappy wife because you spent all summer shooting your bow to be perfect, faucet leaks, kids starving for attention because your always busy tinkering. But hey, your groups at 40 are TIGHT!!!!!

Now if your friend is just lazy sitting on the couch smoking a joint and drinking beer. Well. That's a different story.

Last year was my first ever big game crossbow kill. Never hunted deer with one before and I had a blast. I’m not using one this year because the season isn’t open yet. I’m probably still not going to use one but I just might depending on the situation. And the only criteria is legality and then simply what I want to use. The 3.5 year old 8 I shot last year went 40 yards and somersaulted itself into pile. I’ve never witnessed the devastation with a mechanical that a crossbow can do with them. Higher poundage’s, higher speeds, it pushed that three blade NAP Spitfire through it like it was a hot knife through butter. It bled like I’ve never witnessed a deer bleed before. My vertical bow is a fixed blade head so I’m not an anti mech guy or anything.

Back