• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crossing a big creek

Rg176bnc

RS move this if you need to but I figured since this is the place for ropes, buckles, straps and such I might get more traffic here.

Looking to cross a deep, steep, muddy mess of a creek next year. Thinking about a rope or cable and sliding across. Anybody w/ experience w/ this.

Ive looked at a few youtubes of this, but as you know sometimes there a little short on info and theres usually a better way.

RG, I hunt an area with a very simular creek, and was thinking the same thing about crossing it. While scouting this year I found a spot where someone strung a rope across the creek above a downed log and used that to cross. It looked a little hairy to me, but I guess it could be done safely if you clipped in with your saddle or safety harness.

Rg176bnc said:
RS move this if you need to but I figured since this is the place for ropes, buckles, straps and such I might get more traffic here.

Looking to cross a deep, steep, muddy mess of a creek next year. Thinking about a rope or cable and sliding across. Anybody w/ experience w/ this.

Ive looked at a few youtubes of this, but as you know sometimes there a little short on info and theres usually a better way.

Just spitballing here... What if you setup 2 zipline type things, one going each way? You could probably safely hook up a saddle to a system like that to slide across.

I have been thinking about this as well, and was thinking of posting on a backpacking forum about it. Have you considered a pair of lightweight waders that you could pack in, use for the crossing, stow at the creek edge, then wear them on the way out?

How do you guys approach river crossings? I'd love to be able to cross a river near where I hunt, but it's about 20 yards across and has a pretty quick flow. I don't know if there's a way to do it safely without some type of boat/canoe.

Saw a post on another forum the other day where a guy said he kept a big contractor trash bag in his pack to use as waders in a situation like that.

Another option, if you have strong enough rope, cable or strap to walk on is to put essentially two tight-ropes across the stream - one about 6 feet higher than the other. It is quite easy to balance on one line when you have a second one to hold on to. I have found similar setups from many years ago where big power lines crossed rivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boone0 said:
I have been thinking about this as well, and was thinking of posting on a backpacking forum about it. Have you considered a pair of lightweight waders that you could pack in, use for the crossing, stow at the creek edge, then wear them on the way out?

How do you guys approach river crossings? I'd love to be able to cross a river near where I hunt, but it's about 20 yards across and has a pretty quick flow. I don't know if there's a way to do it safely without some type of boat/canoe.

I know that the Eberharts use waders for crossing creeks all the time. That is always a good option. I read the original post as that not being a great option due to this particular creek.

boone0 said:

Ya the waders are a no go. The banks are almost vertical and its that slick as snot mud. This area floods 2-3 times a year easy enough and holds water like a sponge.

We're going to try the zip line and maybe one going each way I think. Im not stuck to hunting that spot as I have others but my brother and nephew could get some good use out of it. I probably get as much or more satisfaction out of scouting new areas as hunting them.

Please post pictures of the zip line when its complete!

Check out slack line kits, kinda like a ratchet strap you walk on with two hand lines to balance yourself

Back