• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

CSI Saddlehunter 2021-2022

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So going to try and do something novel. I want to start a thread where people post the "forensics" on their dead deer. THIS IS JUST FOR DEAD DEER. Shot situation, placement, and as much info as possible about what went into killing that deer and how it died. If you can post pictures I believe they'd be immensely helpful to folks. I neglected to do so this time but will try to in the future.

My goal in doing this is hopefully to help out folks with low body counts and/or analysis paralysis when it comes to tackle, shot placement, and recovery.

Here's a nice and easy calculator to help archery folks with FOC and KE.

Here's @kyler1945's hit placement chart:

Deer Shot Chart.jpeg

And here's a template for you to use in your post. PLEASE USE IT.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DEER: sex, weight, size, etc

WEAPON: bow/gun, arrow setup (include FOC, KE, broadhead, and as much info as you can), site, and how confident you are in the rig and its setup

SHOT SITUATON: how high you were, how far the deer was, how calm it was, light level, shot clear vs obstructed, shot angle, strong vs weak side, etc

SHOT REACTION: deer jumped/ran/ducked,etc

RECOVERY PROCESS: blood trail, travel distance, recovery effort, etc

FORENSIC ANALYSIS: impact, pass-through, organs hit, bones broken, etc

TAKEAWAYS: any valuable insights you gained from the kill

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:
DEER: 200lb-250lb 5.5 year old Missouri whitetail buck.

WEAPON: Mathews No Cam HTR 29” 70lb draw. 550 grain Easton axis arrow at ~12% FOC. 160 grain simmons landshark 2 blade broadhead stropped to beyond shaving sharp.

SHOT PLACEMENT: Middle of the lungs, broadside at 65 yards. Clean pass through, buried in the dirt.

SHOT REACTION: The deer mule kicked and jogged off at the hit. He went downhill about 40-50 yards and stopped to look back towards me. He shuddered and fell right over. From shot to death was less than 30 seconds.

TAKEAWAYS: It doesn’t take much arrow or bow to pass through a whitetail if you don’t encounter bone. Double lung hit deer should die nearly immediately. Sharp cut on contacts don’t hurt that bad and a deer won’t run so hard.

Deer: 100-110lb dress weight doe (estimated by final processed meat total)

Weapon: Hoyt Torrex, 28.5" 60# draw. Montec G5 CS with Archerz Pro Series carbon 8.2GPI

Shot situation: Entry B4, right side. Exit D3 left side. 7 yards from tree, approx 20' above, quartering away. Arrow was seen sticking out of entry point a good 12" as she ran off (lighted nock). Deer was heard walking through tall grass at my 6:30 position. Due to tree cover, she didn't see me reach for my bow and calmly walked down trail less than 5 yards from tree.

Shot reaction: Stumbled to the left (fell?), got up and jogged about 50 yards before dropping. Total time to death under a minute.

Recovery process: I could see her drop from my position in the tree. Fantastic blood trail but arrow sticking out back led to doubts of passthrough. Once recovered, the doe had a perfectly clean exit wound with a center hole and (3) clean blade cuts. Best guess the arrow passed through and dug into the ground. When she squatted, it passed the arrow back up through the entry wound before breaking off.

Takeaway: Lighted nock immediately confirmed arrow hit exactly where aimed. I was convinced any deer would come from woods and bedding areas (my 12:00 to 3:00 position) to a food plot (6:00 position) that I never considered any deer doing the exact opposite. Thankfully, I had enough back cover that it hid my movement when I turned around to find (2) does less than 10 yards from me.

Autopsy: Clear double lung with significant damage to upper lobes. Heart had no damage. Based on the size of blood trail and significant amount of blood in chest cavity, arrow most likely severed aorta allowing the heart to pump the system dry. Based on large amounts of corn in the gut, she was feeding during the day about 1 mile NW of my position and must've been heading to a known water source. Again, exactly the opposite of what I was expecting.

Edited for proper thread format.

Last edited:
Trophy hunting I see?
You know how they bring out some bread as soon as they seat you at a sit-down restaurant so you're more docile while you wait for the food you came there for? This dude is the bread. ;)

@Hunter260, just to verify, did you break a rib on entry or exit?

And @MNFarmHunter, if you'll shoot me the link to @kyler1954's graph I'll post it up in the OP. I'm also updating it to have a template folks can copy/paste to make it easier.

You know how they bring out some bread as soon as they seat you at a sit-down restaurant so you're more docile while you wait for the food you came there for? This dude is the bread. ;)

@Hunter260, just to verify, did you break a rib on entry or exit?

And @MNFarmHunter, if you'll shoot me the link to @kyler1954's graph I'll post it up in the OP. I'm also updating it to have a template folks can copy/paste to make it easier.
Broke one on entry and exit, I don’t count ribs as bones.

DEER: roughly 90-100lb yearling buck. South Alabama but far enough north that it was likely the virginianus subspecies instead of my local osceola.

WEAPON: Hickory Creek Mini Vertical Crossbow. Shooting a 380 grain arrow (100 grain Chinese Rage Hypodermic knockoff and 50 grain brass insert up front, 23" shaft, 300 spine, 8.6gpi, 14.7% FOC) at 324fps average generating right at 90 ft/lbs of KE "at the muzzle". Topped with a Burris FastFire III reflex site. High confidence in the setup. Have killed probably 10 or so deer plus hogs and 2 coyotes with it. I personally set up my own stuff and had faith that everything was functioning as it should and was "tuned."

SHOT SITUATION: 12ft up a tree. 10 yards away. Deer came in in quickly and quietly and headed straight towards me but I was able to shoulder the crossbow as he approached and had a completely unobstructed shot when I pulled the trigger. Deer appeared confident and relaxed. I felt very good about taking the shot. Low adrenaline, good light, steady aim, and a can't-miss distance at what I thought was a broadside target. 8:30am so plenty of light. Deer was at around my 10 o'clock. Could not ask for a better setup.

SHOT REACTION: Deer jumped what looked like 6ft straight up and made a strong dash in line with his general direction of travel (did not spin around and go back the way he came). I was unpleasantly surprised to see what I guessed was half (1ft) of my arrow sticking out of him. Crossed an old, broken barbed wire fence at a low point and went into thick young pines that were a bit taller than "Christmas Tree" size. At this point I lost visual contact with him but heard him running for several seconds. There was a pause after that, followed by thrashing and flopping. I had felt very good about the shot but was uneasy not seeing him pile up (what usually happens) and seeing that I did not get a passthrough on a shot that I assumed was a no-bone, broadside shot. I am generally a pessimistic person on deer that don't die "right there."

RECOVERY EFFORT: I always watch the deer as long as I have a visual. If I lose that visual, I listen until I can't hear anymore. I then use the compass on my chest to get a line on last contact. I gave the deer 30 minutes while I quit shaking (I get delayed-onset jitters. Usually I'm calm and collected until I run out of things to do and then I start shaking) and texted my buddies to thump my chest a little.

Then I climbed down, set my phone to lay down a breadcrumb trail, and headed in the direction of my compass bearing. I did not bother going to where I shot him because I knew that he would not be bleeding with no exit wound and there was no arrow to recover. At the fence (20 yards into the run), I did start to see small splashes of blood. I was surprised to smell faint gut smell on the blood. I had registered the shot as broadside or slightly quartering towards me.

The splashes continued for about another 20 yards and I saw a white belly. Per the breadcrumb trail, the deer made a relatively straight 50 yard dash before it expired. I did follow the blood trail, but would have recovered the deer just by walking the compass bearing.

FORENSIC ANALYSIS: The shot was further back than I had thought and had better penetration. Arrow only had maybe 6" sticking out. It broke the 3rd rib counting from the back, and almost penetrated the far side shoulder. I did not keep that shoulder because it was very bloodshot. I did prod and twist to see if it was broken and do not believe it was. The deer seemed to run on it fine. I did not gut the deer but my best guess is I probably got some liver and stomach and both lungs. Probably clipped the near lung and decimated the far one. No chance I got heart. Definitely think the shoulder stopped the exit.

The arrow and broadhead survived perfectly intact, much to my surprise. The broadheads are usually trashed with bent and nicked blades, but this one was just dull. I still do not reuse them and it was replaced with a fresh one, hosed off, and put back in the quiver for next time.

TAKEAWAYS: I was surprised that the deer was quartering away and the shot was further back than I thought. Shooting the bow after the fact, it is dead on. I believe it is possible that I either made my assessment too quickly due to the point-blank nature of the shot and how fast it all happened (I shot maybe 5 seconds after I saw the deer) or the deer turned somewhat between the trigger getting pulled and the arrow arriving. It was a very close shot with a very quick bow on a very calm deer though, so I'm banking on a bad chip in the targeting computer.

Part of me is not thrilled with the lack of a passthrough. But I have broken spines and shoulders with that setup and killed one large (for the area) buck with a straight-on ground-level brisket shot. I'm not sold on fixing what doesn't appear to be broken.

Broke one on entry and exit, I don’t count ribs as bones.
Gotcha. I ask because I've shot small fixed and big mech (currently a big mech guy) and I've had deer bolt at small heads and literally just stand there when hit with big mechs. My current theory is it depends on the deer's "personality" and alertness level to a certain extent, the noise of the shot, and most importantly what got hit. A sharp head zipping through seems to not get noticed as much. Break a rib or shoulder and they seem to feel that one.

DEER: Whitetail Buck 130-140 estimated live weight. ODWC determined 4.5 yo buck when jaw bone was sent in for aging

WEAPON: PSE Dream season X-Force HF #55 draw, 28" Gold Tip Nugent 29" 300 spine 175gr insert/125 grain samurai single bevel 623gr TAW ~19% FOC. Not sure on my FPS or KE

SHOT SITUATON: Shot 1: 15 yards, I'm ~18' high. Buck is facing left tailing a doe, strong side shot wide open. buck stopped at my grunt. Shot hits C5 exit D5
Shot 2: 35 yards from the same tree now facing right and slightly quartered and less angle, arrow hits B4 exits C3

SHOT REACTION: Shot 1: Buck hunches and bounds three times looks back then stares down his doe, Could see blood dripping from the body cavity
Shot 2: Buck mule kicks and snow plows into a blowdown running left to right then wheels left again and dies within 20 yards of 2nd shot

RECOVERY PROCESS: Died in sight. Good blood from second hit, decent blood from first hit

FORENSIC ANALYSIS: Shot 1: back of liver/Front of stomach pass through
Shot 2:Took out main artery from heart and shattered Humorous bone just under where it connects to the scapula buried into dirt ~6"

TAKEAWAYS: slow down and make a better shot, focus on the center of the center of the vitals.
Single bevel broadhead was super quiet on first shot. Horny bucks can be pretty stupid when they're actively chasing

You can see the entry of shot 1 and the exit of shot two in this picture
826d49a89cbbcc91a165eeb5153ca957.jpg

I will say this. Being a first year bowhunter, I've never spend so much time studying shot placement as I have this year. When I shot my doe, I had zero doubt where I wanted that arrow to do and thankfully I was dead-on with the shot.

DEER: Whitetail Doe ~110-120 live weight

WEAPON: Bear Black bear Warf bow w/ 55lb Sammick sage limbs. 31.5" Gold tip Traditional Arrow/ 100gr brass insert/ 200gr grizzly single bevel heads
660 TAW/ 18.5% FOC unknown KE or FPS

SHOT SITUATON: Drop shot 10 yards from base of tree ~18' high to my head. One foot on my platform and on foot on the 6" around limb directly behind me, extreme down angle quartering to me slightly facing my right. Arrow deflects from very small dead twig, hits A6 my side of the spine(through the backstrap), exits belly D6 offside, but is carried by deer.

SHOT REACTION: Deer bolts as fast as I've ever seen a deer go carrying arrow crashing extremely loud.

RECOVERY PROCESS: Arrow pulled out by brush she ran through ~30 yards from the hit site. Pin drop blood. Called in a track dog and decided to go after her due to dog not being available in the morning and warm conditions 2.5 hours after hit. Dog found deer 140 yards from hit sight in 3 minutes.
Very minimal blood seen along track while following dog.
FORENSIC ANALYSIS: clipped major artery near spine and front of guts, no liver damage. Exit hole was plugged my stomach matter

TAKEAWAYS: Ensure of clearance when shooting at deer. Practice extreme angles at home
bd940c014c5324c860bd344efc8d0c56.jpg

Last edited:
DEER: Whitetail buck 120#

WEAPON: Bowtech Insanity CPXL 60#@29” Easton 6.5mm Match. 100gr Sevr Ti2.0. 396gr @ 299fps roughly 78-79 lb ke. 11%FOC give or take

SHOT: 5:17pm with good light and clear arrow path 20’ up at 46 yards. Deer full 1/4 away. Entered at intersection of B/C mid point of 5. No exit as it slammed opposite shoulder bone.

SHOT REACTION: Buck mule kicked and stumbled and disappeared behind trees.

RECOVERY PROCESS: Instant blood at impact then nothing for few yards. Sun glinted off wetness shoulder high on wax myrtle. Realized was actually blood. Followed for 15 more yards and found arrow/broadhead in perfect condition then dissipated followed muddy water and bubbles for several more yards then saw white belly. Total of 30 yards and 2-3 seconds from impact to expiration.

FORENSICS: Upon recovery I found the reason for the blood to stop. His lung was laying on the outside of his chest. Once hung and skinned the buck had 5 severed ribs and huge slice in onside lung. Heart was disconnected from arteries and laying in thoracic region with massive hemorrhaging into chest cavity.

9BC04D2B-5419-4B1F-967A-CF47CE6299EC.jpeg8BB30DB0-53E7-4B0B-956D-3E7007D1FD86.jpeg
I will refrain from posting the post hide removal photos as they are border line gruesome.

Deer. 120lbish Doe. 2.5?
Shooting 65lb compound. TAW 665. 19%FOC. Razor sharp 200gr Massaia. Super confident in this..
18' up. 18yrds away. On alert as she was strait down wind trying to figure me out.
Slightly quartered in. About an hour after sunrise. She was at my 6 o'clock.
Entry was about B4. Exit lower opposite lung. See photo. Complete pass thru into the dirt.
She turned and ran about 50yards and fell over in stride. Watched the whole thing.
Holes thru both lungs. No Heart. Exit hole is air bubbles. Not guts. second picture is exit side.Screenshot_20211001-110112~2.pngScreenshot_20211001-101051~2.png
Love this set up.

DEER: Whitetail buck 120#

WEAPON: Bowtech Insanity CPXL 60#@29” Easton 6.5mm Match. 100gr Sevr Ti2.0. 396gr @ 299fps roughly 78-79 lb ke. 11%FOC give or take

SHOT: 5:17pm with good light and clear arrow path 20’ up at 46 yards. Deer full 1/4 away. Entered at intersection of B/C mid point of 5. No exit as it slammed opposite shoulder bone.

SHOT REACTION: Buck mule kicked and stumbled and disappeared behind trees.

RECOVERY PROCESS: Instant blood at impact then nothing for few yards. Sun glinted off wetness shoulder high on wax myrtle. Realized was actually blood. Followed for 15 more yards and found arrow/broadhead in perfect condition then dissipated followed muddy water and bubbles for several more yards then saw white belly. Total of 30 yards and 2-3 seconds from impact to expiration.

FORENSICS: Upon recovery I found the reason for the blood to stop. His lung was laying on the outside of his chest. Once hung and skinned the buck had 5 severed ribs and huge slice in onside lung. Heart was disconnected from arteries and laying in thoracic region with massive hemorrhaging into chest cavity.

View attachment 55103View attachment 55102
I will refrain from posting the post hide removal photos as they are border line gruesome.

Holy cow, Never seen that before. Feel free to PM me the post skinning photos. I'm not squeamish

Holy cow, Never seen that before. Feel free to PM me the post skinning photos. I'm not squeamish
Not sure how to pm photos but you can figure if the lung is on the outside the inside didn’t take it too well. lol

DEER: Whitetail Doe, 100ish lbs, 3ish.

WEAPON: Bowtech Realm SS 65lbs 31” draw, 250 spine Black Carnivores w/ 150gr Magnus stinger buzzcuts and Ethics 200gr inserts, think I’m 20% foc for total weight of 650? AAE Max Hunter vanes, EZV site, 100% confident in this setup out to 50 yards.

SHOT SITUATION: roughly 22ft up facing east on west side of tree alongside a trail that ran next to a creek, doe was 23 yards out (I think?been awhile), slight north->south wind maybe 3mph, about 30 minutes before last light, clear strong side shot, about 45 degree angle and slightly quartering to.

SHOT REACTION: doe jumped and spun, heard her crashing through the brush as she ran west->southwest up the slight rise behind me.

RECOVERY PROCESS: waited 45 minutes, after packing my gear found arrow with bloody bubbles on vanes and immediate bright red blood trail. Tracked slowly for 30 minutes probably 100 yards through briar(the good Lord and I are going to have a chat about them), once located dragged rest of the way up to the power line and packed out with my truck.

FORENSIC ANALYSIS: on impact I heard the textbook smack and saw my lumenok come out the other side so knew it was a pass through and positive hit. Vanes had bright red bubbles so good blood, autopsy revealed broadhead clipped the rear of the right shoulder blade (C3)punching through a rib and passing through both lungs before pinching through another rib and exiting around C5.

TAKEAWAYS: even with a good hit and good blood deer can sometimes run quite a ways. This was the longest recover distance I’ve had to date.

25B20A55-602A-447D-833C-515C9D26976D.png25B20A55-602A-447D-833C-515C9D26976D.png

Deer: tiny...90-100 pound doe
Weapon: bear cruzer 60pd draw ezv sight. 350spine 29" 125 single bevel 100gr brass insert lighted nocks 550gr 15%foc
Shot situation: 15ft up. 20minutes before last light. Standing broadside with the head facing toward the right. Strong side shot 18-20yds.
Shot reaction: At arrow release she drops, rolls, and turns. Arrow entered b8 on the passenger side of the deer and traveled down the length of the body on the passenger side until the arrow hit and redirected off the passenger side shoulder and the arrow exited out A1 on the driver's side. She stumbled/runs 15 feet and falls over and expires
Recovery process: there was blood everywhere...sprayed up 10ft into the trees/bushes. I could see the deer from my tree so no real recovery
Analysis: there were 4 broken passenger side ribs, passenger side shoulder was split almost in 2
Take away: deer are really fast and I'm glad I built "plan b" arrows
I wish I had some pics but I don't....

DEER #1: mature doe, 120-140lbs

WEAPON: PSE Evoke31 - 29"dl set at 62#'s shooting 585gr taw at 236fps, GT Hunter Pro 300 spine, 150gr Ethics ss inserts, Grizzlystiik Samurai 125gr single bevel, 18.5%foc, If I draw on it, it dies confidence.

SHOT SITUATON: 3 doe came in from my 2 o'clock 40+ yds out at 6:30pm walking right to left. Standing on ros set approximately 22' high, lead doe was 27 yards quartering away, head down walking and feeding, strong side 11 o'clock, unobstructed view.

SHOT REACTION: Doe was walking when I released arrow so hit was bottom right corner of B6, exit was top left corner C4, complete pass through. she ran 15 yds then stopped and looked behind her, waited 10 - 20 seconds then turned right and walked away from my direction and down creek embankment out of sight.

RECOVERY PROCESS: Arrow buried in dirt covered in blood, no gut smell and only a couple of drops of blood in area. Searched my side of creek embankment which was covered with thick brush but didn't dare cross creek to search other side because 1. not sure exactly which direction she went in because there was no blood, foot prints or disturbed earth to follow 2. other side of creek vegetation and brush is virtually impenetrable to humans and unknown to me 3. I'm searching in darkness with only a headlamp and could walk within 5 feet and miss her and 4. at the time I wasn't 100% sure where arrow hit exactly. Came back next morning crossed creek and fought my way back to the opposite side of the creek where I thought she crossed. Found her at 8 am, not 10 yds from edge of creek, already swelled up under a nasty tangle of brush that even kept the predators from feasting on her during the night. Packed her out because that was the only option.

FORENSIC ANALYSIS: Took out liver and one lung along with exit side rib. The way she was swelled up tighter than a drum leads me to believe she died within minutes of crossing the creek .

TAKEAWAYS: For new guys reading this - Know when to keep searching and when to back off. It's always safer to back out and resume the search after some time has passed. For me - Wait for the deer to stop, stop the deer before taking the shot or lead the deer if taking a shot while it's walking. You'll see this again...

DEER #2 young doe, spots barely visible

WEAPON: PSE Evoke31 - 29"dl set at 62#'s shooting 585gr taw at 236fps, GT Hunter Pro 300 spine, 150gr Ethics ss inserts, Kudu Point 125gr single bevel, 18.5%foc, If I draw on it, it dies confidence.

SHOT SITUATON: The lead doe I just shot ran off along with the second adult doe. I spotted this one standing alert looking in the direction the other two took..."...as the kill thirsty predator perched on his mighty ros throne quietly grabbed another death dart and ranged the unsuspecting victim at 33 yds broadside at 12 o'clock. In the last minutes of legal shooting light the reaper drew back his instrument of death..."

SHOT REACTION: The deer ducked at impact and bolted 20 or so yards crashed into a small sapling and piled up in sight.

RECOVERY PROCESS: Another arrow buried in the ground covered in blood. Blood spray covered the ground leaves at the impact site and left an easy to see in the fading light blood trail to where she came to rest. I threw her over my shoulder and walked her out to the truck.

FORENSIC ANALYSIS: Front onside leg broken, ribs, heart and offside leg broken. Complete pass through.

TAKEAWAYS: The arrow I grabbed didn't have a lighted nock which made locating it more difficult in the darkness especially since I walked directly to body because it was in view. Also keep in mind that your view perspective from in the tree vs on the ground is very different and in the darkness every tree starts looking the same making it that much more difficult in determining which tree you were in, the impact area, direction of travel etc.

"Heck I always take out the momma first so I have time to put some holes in her offspring..." An excerpt from the Times Best Seller "Nutterbuster's Secrets to Slayin More Spots"

Last edited:
DEER: 80lb dressed doe. Southeast VA

WEAPON: Ravin R20, 300gr bolt, with 100gr Grim Reaper three blade Pro Series. Ravin .003 20 inch shaft, 430fps, 153ftlbs of energy.

SHOT SITUATION: About 25ft up. At 9 O’clock two does came in from the 1200 position, with the victim actually walking up to the tree I was sitting in and smelled the tree where I went up. Deer never looked up. Deer continued to my 0600 position outbound, thought I was going to have to let her go as I was not going to take a back shot, then she turned right heading to 0700 position where I stopped her for an offhand almost broadside, slightly quartering away shot at about 25 yards.

SHOT REACTION: Deer ran back through the 1200 position until out of sight. Deer did not appear to be wounded and I seem to remember seeing her flag, which is unusual for a seriously wounded deer (tail clamped), although I heard the bolt hit her and expected to see her pile up in sight. I observed my bolt sticking up out of the ground in a position that would have been behind where the deer was standing at the shot. I had mentally marked a couple of trees that the deer ran between right before going out of sight.

RECOVERY EFFORT: I took my time, packed my gear and rappelled down, and walked over to my bolt. I pulled it out of the ground noted no stomach matter on the bolt, no gut smell on the bolt, a large amount of white hair and significant blood at the impact sight. The white hair clearly indicated a low hit, but I wasn’t sure where laterally. Was it just the brisket or did I get into the lung cavity. The blood was bright, but not quite as bright as lung blood normally is, more like a mixture of lung and arterial blood. While standing there I looked out several yards and could clearly make out a good blood trail. I walked out to the two trees that I had mentally marked the deer passing between prior to going out of sight, about 35 yards. Upon arrival, I found a good blood trail, also confirming a low hit by the height of the blood on Cain and trees, with good volume. About 40 min had passed between the shot and my picking up the blood trail. I slowly and quietly followed a significant blood trail with no difficulty. At about 65 yards out, the deer entered a significant thicket. I could see where the deer has stood momentarily before entering the ticket as there was a significant pool of blood, which looked more like lung blood with some bubbles in it, mixed with arterial blood. I knew the deer was looking for a place to lay up, but given that the deer had not expired in 65 yards with a Grim Reaper, and the fact that the deer had stood in one place even momentarily convinced me to wait a bit on the edge of the thicket, not wanting to jump the deer and wanting to give the deer some time to expire. I waited another 35 minutes and proceeded at about 1hr and 15 min from the shot. I worked my way slowly through the thicket with a good blood trail. the thicket was about 30-40 yards wide and the deer died right after exiting the thicket.

FORENSIC ANALYSIS: A low hit was confirmed on inspection and upon field dressing I noted an approx. three inch, 1/4 deep, slice in the heart. The bolt also cut the offside front leg upon exit. Per my GPS the deer had traveled in a relatively straight line from my stand for approximately 100yds before expiring. I haven’t looked at the broadhead. No need, I consider them expendable and do not shoot them twice without using a rebuild kit to restore them to factory condition.

TAKEAWAYS: This is the second deer that I have killed out of this tree in the last three days, which walked within feet of the tree. The first I killed at 1100 o’clock, a fawn that came in by himself with minutes of me using a grunt call. I also had to let him go outbound before he offered a shot. It’s great to pick such a great spot but it is actually too good with primarily a frontal or back only shot being offered. I have pegged another three about 15 yards away for future sits which will offer more broadside shots.
9165C1DB-8F68-4345-8E6F-ECE7A714AF59.jpegCAA06DA7-6AB2-45B8-BDE4-52475DBB4CDE.jpeg

Back