• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cut down my LW sticks finally

Hailey_Phillips

SH Member
Hey guys, thought I would share. I cut down my LW sticks today during some slow time at work. Cut them to 23” overall length and that gave me 21” step to step. I’m 5’8” so that should be perfect for me. I had some cut down helium’s that were almost that same length and I liked it. I used the hole of the ‘stopper bolt’ of the old middle step to be my hole for the versa button. It’s 7.5” from the top. Not sure if that math is right, but I’ll try them and if they need to be moved down any, I’ll do so then. I used the old versa button hole as my top step hole. That left me only drilling a ‘stopper bolt’ hole for the top step, and a hole in the back for stacking. Gonna try and drill as little as possible. Thought I would share, thanks for checking it out.
2c98c405a82d454b831e2b1086955d2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting idea. I love my DIY mini's that are about 17 or 18 inches but an extra 3 inches 4 times....that's a nice bonus. And can't imagine the weight is too terribly different than mine either. Well done.

I was actually very shocked at the amount of weight the 4 cutoffs and 4 steps weigh. It was surprisingly substantial. Thanks for the positive vibes guys!

I was actually very shocked at the amount of weight the 4 cutoffs and 4 steps weigh. It was surprisingly substantial. Thanks for the positive vibes guys!

Anybody have any good ideas for the 4 cutoffs and 4 steps? Maybe a platform of some sort?

If anybody has some short sticks, in the 20” range, will you measure how far up from center your versa button(or other attachment point) is? Haven’t tried the sticks yet but I’m thinking the versa button may be too high. I’ll have to measure them, but I feel like on most sticks, the attachment point is around 60% from the bottom, or 40% from the top, depending if your glass half full or half empty kinda person haha. I was hoping to not have to drill anymore holes than necessary, but I don’t have a problem doing it if needed.

On my 24" sticks with a 22" step spacing I put the verse button 1/3rd of the way down the stick, which was right at 8". Works good for me and I've had no issues

On my 24" sticks with a 22" step spacing I put the verse button 1/3rd of the way down the stick, which was right at 8". Works good for me and I've had no issues

Thanks, right now with a 21” step space mine is at like 7.5”, so maybe it’s better than I thought. Just looking at them it seems a bit high...

I cut down some API's and had similar concerns with the button height. I never changed it and I have never felt like they were going to kick out on me. Just try them a few times to be sure, but I'd bet they're good to go.

I cut down some API's and had similar concerns with the button height. I never changed it and I have never felt like they were going to kick out on me. Just try them a few times to be sure, but I'd bet they're good to go.

Thanks for the input!

Just curious. I did the lazy man's no drill LW mod theres the stats:
15 inches step to step.
1.42 lbs no rope
1.70 lbs with 8ft rop mod attached
What do yours weigh. I feel I'm going to awfully mad at myself for asking. I probably could have had another 5 inches with very little weight penalty.... Might be a good comparison for others going forward.

As for the cut off pieces... if you figure out a good platform mod let me know. I am going to use one of mine as the post for my scooter platform mod. Trying figure out a couple DIY stand offs

Just curious. I did the lazy man's no drill LW mod theres the stats:
15 inches step to step.
1.42 lbs no rope
1.70 lbs with 8ft rop mod attached
What do yours weigh. I feel I'm going to awfully mad at myself for asking. I probably could have had another 5 inches with very little weight penalty.... Might be a good comparison for others going forward.

I haven’t even weighed them yet, and I haven’t come up with an idea yet either. I just picked up a klemz platform from the classifieds, I may try to incorporate them into that setup

As for the cut off pieces... if you figure out a good platform mod let me know. I am going to use one of mine as the post for my scooter platform mod. Trying figure out a couple DIY stand offs

SWO as in Ohio? I'm very near Cincinnati and have some API standoffs laying around.

Do you know what the weight savings were? Do you think I could do it with a saws all?

Back