• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cutting Amsteel

PJC

How do you cut Amsteel Blue Rope? And once cut, how do you keep it from unraveling? I have a small 1/4" rope I used to practice tying knots and it started to fray and I whipped the ends with some Zingit. When I go to cut my ropes for my climbing sticks, will I have to whip them too or is there a better way. I tried melting this one with a flame but it didn't go so well. I've seen videos where they use a hot knife like tool, but I'd rather not have to buy something I won't use but a few times once in a while.

I wrap it in electrical tape before cutting, then bury the tail back into itself creating a nice end

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wrap it in electrical tape before cutting, then bury the tail back into itself creating a nice end

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
How do you bury the tail back into itself. Do I need a tool?

How do you bury the tail back into itself. Do I need a tool?

Just like doing an eye splice, but keep pulling until there is no eye. Or look up a video for a whoopie sling. One end of the line is buried into itself. That way you have a good visual. Pete

Ah, got ya. Good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will it cut with a knife? I thought I had a sharp knife but it's not doing the job. Time to hone it I guess.

if you are saddle hunting, a rope cutting tool probably isn't a bad investment.

25-30 bucks and you don't have to deal with tape, scissors and lighters

Seachoice 79901 Electric Rope Cutting Gun

http://www.boatstore.com/seachoice-...tting-gun.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc

Ive got one that cost much more that I bought from west marine years ago...if it died on me Id buy another one of these solder tools for the job

If you've got one of those trigger solder guns (not a wand) you may be able to just buy a rope cutting attachment for 8 bucks on amazon

Great for cutting/sealing ropes and straps

I use a torch to heat up a old kitchen knife until it’s red then just slice through any rope and also web material keeps it all from unraveling. I don’t know if it’s the best way but it works for me.

I found a sharper knife and it did the job. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back