• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cutting down lone wolf sticks

Whitetail82

Could use some advice. I’m torn on whether or not I should cut my lone wolf sticks down to 17” or 22” I can make the 22” step very easily and after doing the math believe I could get to about 15.5’ high with no aider but will only save about 3 lbs compared to 5. I want to get to around 18’ and plan on using just one aider. I don’t really want to use multiple aiders which I Believe I would have to with the 17” stick to hit the height I want. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks

Use one moveable aider such as the versa strap and use it as a gear hanger strap too? Something I'm gonna try. Currently using 4 full size sticks gonna try to cut down to 3 with the aider.

How did you mod those sticks to stack sideways
I used a wing nut on their doublestep side. Bolts are grade 8, I've only just begun to test them at ground level and getting feedback from the forum. It may not work through rough testing. So far, so good. Maybe a longer bolt to ensure the nut doesn't get lost (always carry extra). Post any results (as I will) so everyone can try it or we stop anyone else from trying it! Waiting to see what the gurus on here say, since I'm a FNG to saddle hunting.

I have 2 sets of 4 LW sticks. I’ve had them for over 10 years. I cut one set down to 21” steps. Worked pretty well. I have a set of Beast sticks as well, so my cut down LW’s are roughly the same dimensions.....just a tad heavier and only one step vs two.

if your sticking with single steps I say modify. If your going to dual steps I’d sell the lone wolfs and go API. You can mod those down to about 2pds a stick and sell off the spare parts. Food for thought

I made mine 24” and I love them
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just playing with my lone Wolfs, I took the middle step off and put the versa button in its place then took a double step and put it where the versa button was cut it off at the top double step and have a 24" stick. I like it so I just ordered 7 more double steps from @DanO and I will be cutting the LW Sticks to 24"!

Back