• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cutting Down the Mission

J.P.

I realize a lot of guys were cutting their Mission platforms until the EDP came out. However, I am 100% unsure what size platform will work best for me.

My thoughts were to buy the Mission. If I do want a smaller platform, I could then cut it down.

Looking for others and pics of who have done this if possible. Thanks.

The reason i bought a Mission is so i have enough room on it to turn my whole body and size 13 boots around and take a weak side shot if need be. I can't see any other advantage to cutting it down other than weight and that would be only a few ounces.

Or you could get one and try it first. If you dont like it you can almost assuredly sell it here pretty easily. I really like the mission for the same reason as above. I can easily turn around or stand up and lean on the tree like a stand. It really is about perfect for me. a little lighter wouldnt hurt my feelings but that's nitpicking.

I realize a lot of guys were cutting their Mission platforms until the EDP came out. However, I am 100% unsure what size platform will work best for me.

My thoughts were to buy the Mission. If I do want a smaller platform, I could then cut it down.

Looking for others and pics of who have done this if possible. Thanks.
I wear a sz: 14 and never needed something as big as the mission to maneuver for shots or stand up straight. I personally would go for the EDP or maybe get the “fix” platform from LWCG. It’s light (less than 4 lbs) about 13” by
13” and it backs down real small. It has a small angled step on top for pivoting and a built in hook so you can hang it from your saddle

I saw one on one of the saddle FB groups that gave me a chub. Then I thought if I didn’t like packing a full size Mission I could cut it down and do the same.

I’d prefer a platform that is 15-16” wide, right in the middle of the Mission and EDP.

If anyone finds and more threads or pics that’d be great.

The Mission is solid but is a tank. I traded mine. Ended up with the EDP when it came out. Seems like the perfect size IMO. Cutting it down seems like a hassle when you'll basically end up with an EDP.

But someone has three Missions for sale in the classifieds if you're determined.

It's basically the EDP without the handle. Super stout little thing. I liked the mission but it was heavy and packed badly. The ambush was nice to pack with the lwcg singles but had a little flex I didn't love. Predator broke on me.

Tbh, I'm not a big platform guy, but I like this one best out of what I've tried so far.

It's basically the EDP without the handle. Super stout little thing. I liked the mission but it was heavy and packed badly. The ambush was nice to pack with the lwcg singles but had a little flex I didn't love. Predator broke on me.

Tbh, I'm not a big platform guy, but I like this one best out of what I've tried so far.
Try the fix nutterbuster. It’s way more firm than the Ambush. A little, smaller, lighter and more packable. It changed my thoughts on platforms not named the ridge runner.

Curious why the decision to cut the post?
So that when folded it didn't stick out past the front edge.

Try the fix nutterbuster. It’s way more firm than the Ambush. A little, smaller, lighter and more packable. It changed my thoughts on platforms not named the ridge runner.
I may look at one next year. I've spent way too much on saddle gear in the last five years. Taking a break for now. I like the thought of the fix with the 14" singles though

15" from front of platform to the back points of the v. 13" at the widest point on the hunter side of the post.

15" is about the perfect length for a platform, imo. Not sure about your measurement though. I saw a video that had the length at 14" and TL lists 13.8". Not sure what all they are including, but in the video he held the tape from the furthest frontal lobe and seemed to look at the end of the V when taking his measurement. Still 14" ain't bad.

I’ve owned almost all of them & finally settled on an EDP I like the shape with the handle gives you a little spot to push off from. I also like the size of the edp vs the mission, mission was cool but overkill ( even for my big boots) I’m rarely if ever just standing up on it anyway

I also cut my Mission down, I left the 2 outer corners, basically a square platform, mine is about 4.5 lbs.
once set its solid as a rock!!
got the Fix from LWCG, trying to get the weight down it's about a pound less but a bugger to get set just right
If I can't get the hang of it will probably sell it. 1 pound is not worth the hassle and fiddle factor.
The big question is how to set it while 20 feet up in the air in a tree
back on subject, I never missed the extra " real estate " that I cut off from the Mission, am keeping it for sure!!
have a video on my YouTube
carstensxdm45

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a mission, I see no point in cutting it at this point (I didn't when it was brand new either but that's just my opinion). I'm a diy guy for a lot of things, but this is one thing where the cost doesn't justify the outcome for me when there's a ton of platform options out there. I would definitely suggest the mission platform as a newbie, I liked it being one myself.

I also cut my Mission down, I left the 2 outer corners, basically a square platform, mine is about 4.5 lbs.
once set its solid as a rock!!
got the Fix from LWCG, trying to get the weight down it's about a pound less but a bugger to get set just right
If I can't get the hang of it will probably sell it. 1 pound is not worth the hassle and fiddle factor.
The big question is how to set it while 20 feet up in the air in a tree
back on subject, I never missed the extra " real estate " that I cut off from the Mission, am keeping it for sure!!
have a video on my YouTube
carstensxdm45

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a Fix and OOAL Ridge Runner XL. (and some other stuff).

To stay on topic, what surprised me is I'm good with the narrower platform. But, I do prefer the longer platform.

I don't think you lose much maneuverability or comfort with the narrower option here (edp) and the length is about the same, but you may get a bit more from the cutdown Mission.

Last edited:
Back