• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cutting off the leg straps or buying a saddle without leg straps.

Newhunter1

SH Member
I am looking at a saddle that does not have leg straps. I’d like to know those that do not have the legs straps on their saddles. I watched flingingaeros video and he didn’t fall out. I have the flex coming but can us le this as a backup or an extra one for my son.

Those of you who do not use your leg straps please let me know why you dong use them/cut them off. I have never had my leg straps get caught on the way up or down a tree.

Let me know please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me its a pain to use the leg straps. reaching between my legs trying to find them and hooking them up so I tried going without them, I tied them out of the way for a while. I have a Kestrel and a Mantis, The Kestrel is made with a heavey codora material and is very comfortable with out the leg straps because it kinda cups my butt and doesn't move. The Mantis on the other hand is made with a limp mesh material and is not comfortable without the straps. So I cut the straps off my Kestrel and left them on the Mantis.

I have a Kite, and I’m not convinced cutting the straps is a good idea for myself. I like not having them, but it doesn’t seem to hold itself in place to well. I had a Trophyline Ambush without leg straps and it did fine, but it’s webbing was stiffer. I’m gonna keep messing around with my Kite with the straps unhooked before I make the commitment to cut them off permanently

Started with a Web years ago and didn’t use them. Now use a SD and it’s stock. I don’t see the need for leg straps.

I cut the leg buckles off of my Flex in favor of g hooks and shortened the extremely long leg webbing. They stay hooked well and once tethered in, I unhook them. Best of both worlds for me.

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

Maybe I should clarify...I am thinking about buying a saddle that is made without the leg straps...was wondering what I should be concerned about.

Maybe I should clarify...I am thinking about buying a saddle that is made without the leg straps...was wondering what I should be concerned about.[/

If you’ve never been in a saddle I would try it first. It’s harder to put them on than to cut them off.

Last edited:
Maybe I should clarify...I am thinking about buying a saddle that is made without the leg straps...was wondering what I should be concerned about.
What saddle are you considering? None are made without leg straps these days, so must be an older model or Anderson.

To me its a pain to use the leg straps. reaching between my legs trying to find them and hooking them up so I tried going without them, I tied them out of the way for a while. I have a Kestrel and a Mantis, The Kestrel is made with a heavey codora material and is very comfortable with out the leg straps because it kinda cups my butt and doesn't move. The Mantis on the other hand is made with a limp mesh material and is not comfortable without the straps. So I cut the straps off my Kestrel and left them on the Mantis.

Which do you like better the Kestrel or the Mantis?

What saddle are you considering? None are made without leg straps these days, so must be an older model or Anderson.

I already have the flex...this is just an extra one that I'm thinking about getting. The guy on the saddle facebook forum is making one that looks good (Heath Hartt). However before I do that I wanted to see what others thought about not having leg straps.

Which do you like better the Kestrel or the Mantis?

I like the Kestrel. The Kite and Mantis is made of a limp mesh material to make them super light but the Kestrel is made of Condora and it holds its shape so it kinda cups your butt.

I have been wondering why these commercial hunting saddle manufactures make the leg straps V up across your legs rather than horizontal like a RCH

If you ever decide to use the One Stick Climbing Method, you may want leg straps. Whenever I climb with one stick, it sometimes feels like I am starting to slide out of the saddle. The rated leg straps on my Kite and Kestrel prevent that.

I already have the flex...this is just an extra one that I'm thinking about getting. The guy on the saddle facebook forum is making one that looks good (Heath Hartt). However before I do that I wanted to see what others thought about not having leg straps.

Try it. Is about the only advice one can give. There are climbing methods that aren’t friendly to saddles without leg straps. You feel like your going to fall out.
Just remember it it don’t feel safe it probably isn’t.

Being a platform guy I rotate the hips a lot for certain shot angles. When doing so without the leg straps, I feel the saddle start to rotate on my bum. No thanks to that. I'm not saying it feels like I am going to fall out, but I want that thing staying in place 20' up. I'm fine with the leg straps but I also switch out heavy buckles for G hooks. I would imagine in a ROS my particular concern is less applicable as you would be more apt to just walk around the tree and keep the center of gravity more consistent.

Back