• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cutting Sticks

SouthernTierHunter

Aug 9, 2018
NY
Are there more advantages to cutting climbing sticks other than portability? I just dropped 100 on Helium Hawks and it hurts me to cut them just because I don't want to carry the extra weight.

drew13

Sep 11, 2014
Maine
Are there more advantages to cutting climbing sticks other than portability? I just dropped 100 on Helium Hawks and it hurts me to cut them just because I don't want to carry the extra weight.

I think weight is only one part of the portability equation. For me at 5’8”, when I strapped the regular length sticks to my backpack they would either smack the back of my legs when I walked or catch on brush and branches over my head. Maybe it’s not as big a factor for taller guys, but with my cutdown heliums I hardly know they’re on my pack. I feel like I can slide through the woods without snagging on stuff.

Reactions: SouthernTierHunter

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC

Tim W

Dec 15, 2017
Clayton, NC

elk yinzer

SH Member
Oct 23, 2017
State College, PA
A few advantages to me

1) My pack frame is 26", so packing a stock stick, 34" long, it protrudes 8" and catches on brush. My cut down version is 26" long folded, so it fits in my pack perfectly.

2) Climbing the tree, I go up in on trip, lashing 2 sticks to my saddle/harness. The bulky stock sticks are generally more cumbersome and clang into my ankles. The cut-down sticks feel much more streamlined while climbing. Even hanging them in the tree, the shorter sticks feel more pleasant to work with.

3) By reducing the length, the pivot point between the attachment and bottom standoff are decreased. This decreases the likelihood of kickouts.

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Dec 2, 2014
I can tell you why I did it many years ago (think I was one of the first that started promoting and modifying helium sticks ?) I did it because there is so much wasted stick with 15-16 inch steps. That and I wanted lighter equipment and I got tired of carrying 3 foot long brush grabbers. I have ALWYAS preferred a stick with two steps at same height. I used LW for decades but never like the one step thing. So when heliums first came out I grabbed 6 sticks and started making a stick specific to my step up height all the while trying to keep weight and length in mind. I started with a 22 inch stick and eventually moved up to a 24 inch stick. I used the amsteel rope and versa button combo I had used for years on LW sticks.

So to answer you questions - I cut mine to be as efficient and lightweight as possible - the foot aider and then carry as you go aider evolved over the years to further enhance them.

Jajtner01

Apr 2, 2014
San Diego, CA
When you guys cut your 3 step sticks do you cut just below the second step or do you cut at a consistent length and drill everything? I've been thining about cutting mine down.