• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

CWD

John 35

I don’t have cwd in my area as far as I know, but I expect it will make its way across the entire country eventually. Seems like the government agencies response might be even worse than the disease as the guy in the video describes. I think it’s unrealistic to think that we can actually contain it.

Southern Wisconsin was subjected to all this nonsense 20 years ago. The DNR eventually saw the folly in it and allowed things to get back to normal.
Like Covid, CWD is just something we will have to live with.

I am not sure about CWD but here in NJ there is a problem with EHD. The area I hunt was apparently hit pretty hard. This is probably why I have seen so few deer and very little sign. I am starting to feel like a vegetarian. I hope things get better.

EHD kills more deer the CWD. CWD is long term and EHD more acute. Like @ CZMark said “CWD has been around for ever and will continue” It ridiculous how the conservation departments react to this”

Southern Wisconsin was subjected to all this nonsense 20 years ago. The DNR eventually saw the folly in it and allowed things to get back to normal.
Like Covid, CWD is just something we will have to live with.
I’d guess from your response that you live in a cwd area. Is there anything thing that can be realistically done about it in your opinion?

I’d guess from your response that you live in a cwd area. Is there anything thing that can be realistically done about it in your opinion?
Not really, it is spread by deer and last for a long time(decades) in the soil and plants. In what 40 years of research they haven't been able to show it is transmisable to humans. To my knowledge it is not present in the meat of deer or elk. If concerned about it debone without severing the spine.

Last edited:
2021 deer season here in Northern Louisiana. Wildlife management decided to ban baiting in 2 parishes. The 2 parishes bumped up against Arkansas state line. They said that cwd was discovered close by. The baiting ban last about a month.

Not really, it is spread by deer and last for a long time(decades) in the soil and plants. In what 40 years of research they have been able to show it is transmisable to humans. To my knowledge it is not present in the meat of deer or elk. If concerned about it debone without severing the spine.
Could you clarify this? From what I've read, CWD isn't transmissible, so if I'm wrong I'll have to adjust. Or at least go back to boning out the necks instead of doing bone-in crockpot neck roast tacos.

Could you clarify this? From what I've read, CWD isn't transmissible, so if I'm wrong I'll have to adjust. Or at least go back to boning out the necks instead of doing bone-in crockpot neck roast tacos.
Typo, should have been "haven't". Gonna fix it right quick.

NO. The WDNR tried to literally wipe out the herd in about the Southern third of the state with sharpshooters and crazy regulations. They failed miserably, although they did reduce deer numbers.

They finally gave up and now the herd is back to normal numbers; the CWD rate remains about the same. Another case of wildlife managers trying to control something they don't understand.

Back