• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dan Taylor - Workshop testimonial story

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
John

After attending your 2 day workshop I re-analyzed my early season stand locations which have been a weakness of mine. I kept focus on what you shared about setting up on very specific destination locations that offered perimeter and transition security cover and I have an isolated waterhole in very thick cover between a couple bedding areas on the property I hunt. I’ve never hunted there because I deemed it too risky since the water is the only attraction and it's so close to the bedding areas. After talking with you I went in and prepared a tree for my saddle and cleared out an access trail to be able to slip in and out quietly.

I knew of two good bucks in the area and that waterhole was the only water for about 1/2 mile in any direction during dry seasons which this has been. I hunted there on opening evening and noticed lots of tall rubs leading to and from the bedding areas and had several deer come in and drink. I had to get back in there again before the forecasted heavy rain lessened the appeal of this secluded water source.

It was a great hunt complete with over a dozen does and fawns hitting the waterhole and 4 different yearling bucks. Then just before dark the small bucks became noticeably edgy and kept looking back into the thick cover of one of the bedding areas. I’ve hunted long enough and taken enough bucks to know exactly what that meant and sure enough within moments a good buck was quietly slipping along the rub-lined trail heading to water. Once within distance and after making sure the other bucks were focused on him I drew my bow and shot him at about 12 yards, then watched as he ran about 50 yards and crashed within sight.

Old habits are tough to break and during the hunt I checked the wind several times with a wind checker and every time got a different result and although the wind was swirling in all directions, not one deer winded me. I don't know that I would have had the confidence to put this hunt together without seeing your scent control regimen and exactly how you cared for your ScentLok garments and stored them and what you used in conjunction with ScentLok to create as scent free a regimen as possible.

I apologize for not wearing my ScentLok in the picture as I took it off so as not to get it dirty or bloody. I was wearing a ScentLok Quickstrike coveralls over my other clothing along with a ScentLok headcover with drop down facemask and gloves.

While I’ve been bowhunting a long time and have been successful at it, I would like to say thank you for helping me take my hunting to the next level!

Dan Taylor - Michigan

Dan Taylor 2017 - 9 pt. 228KB.jpg

John,

A little follow up on the kill story I sent you.

Although it’s my first year using a ScentLok scent control system I am now a believer. I wear the ScentLok Quickstrike coveralls over whatever the weather calls for, along with a headcover with face mask (a Savanna and Full Season for different weather conditions) and gloves, and of course I’ve been wearing knee high rubber boots for years. I have found the simplicity of the coveralls work well for me and I can still utilize my previously owned hunting apparel underneath.

I of course shower in scent free soaps before hunts, and now transport all my under garments in totes, and change in field, etc. But on over 30 hunts this fall I haven’t had an official scent bust where either the deer spooked because of scent, or caught my wind and then proceeded to blow. I also haven’t been busted when deer cross my entry route, which happens more than I like due to a combination of a fairly high deer density and with the heavy white oak acorn crop this year in the timber it’s impossible not to have deer at some point cross my entry routes.

With all that being said, I’ve still had several deer catch my scent while wearing ScentLok and it wasn’t until they were within 20 yards and directly downwind, however it only resulted in a lot of nose licking and heavy air sniffing, but within a short period each time there was a tail flick which means all’s well, and they continued on about their business. The only thing I can figure is it’s so faint they assume I am a long ways off because they don’t even really look for me or investigate very hard at all and I could have taken any of them. This is still a victory and a game changer in my book.

On one hunt I had a 3 ½ year old (which I passed on) come directly into my wind, and although he knew something wasn’t quite right, he never paniced or “officially” scent busted me. When he finally walked off, I ranged his location at 14 yards and my scent checker showed my scent stream was literally in his lap as the thermals were still falling at that time of the morning.

Another hunt blew me away as I had to enter through a chest high weed field. I thought what the heck this will be a real test. Wearing my ScentLok coveralls with the hood up and gloves on I crossed the field while holding my bow over my head so the only thing touching any vegetation was my boots and suit. During that hunt I watched several mature doe cross the field and my entry route and they never stopped, sniffed or anything. There is no way that would have ever happened in the past.

It’s very nice that wind direction no longer is a deciding factor in where I plan my hunts.

Thanks! - Dan Taylor

Back