• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Danner Pronghorn snake boots suck!

Big Country

I got a pair of the non zipper style boots maybe 1.5 yrs ago. Suppose to be waterproof. They have never been waterproof. Comfortable but not waterproof at all. Guess I'll go back to using only rubber waterproof boots.

I had a pair of Irish setters that had the side zip. I think they were replaced by the vaprtrek. They were comfortable and waterproof. They lasted three years before my foot got stuck in them and tore the liner loose on the way out. They were the best snake boots I ever had. Every other non rubber snake boot I have had leaked from new. You could step into water and back out and be ok but wading a creek or standing in a puddle too long would give you wet feet. I had a pair of Cabela’s rubber snake boots for a few years. They were exciting at times. I really only got excited in them when I got close to the truck and could take them off. They were heavy and uncomfortable but waterproof and if not snake proof they at least slowed you down enough for the snakes to get out of the way. I don’t know what I will get next.

First and last pair of snake boots I will buy. Bought those because of seeing so many snakes scouting and hunting to appease the wife. I'm not one that's afraid of snakes. Respect them but not afraid. In my younger yrs I've probably caught over a hundred rattlesnakes to sell at the local skin shop. 25$ a ft but had to be alive. Somewhere around 50+ moccasins at only 9$ a ft alive. Actually caught some of the moccasins from underneath the water. Walk the ponds looking for them, when seen I would enter the pond slowly from the other side and ease over and go under and grab them with one hand pulling threw the other until I secure behind their head. Place in a croaker sack and look for another. Stupid I know. I've caught and relocated a couple this year on wma's.

First and last pair of snake boots I will buy. Bought those because of seeing so many snakes scouting and hunting to appease the wife. I'm not one that's afraid of snakes. Respect them but not afraid. In my younger yrs I've probably caught over a hundred rattlesnakes to sell at the local skin shop. 25$ a ft but had to be alive. Somewhere around 50+ moccasins at only 9$ a ft alive. Actually caught some of the moccasins from underneath the water. Walk the ponds looking for them, when seen I would enter the pond slowly from the other side and ease over and go under and grab them with one hand pulling threw the other until I secure behind their head. Place in a croaker sack and look for another. Stupid I know. I've caught and relocated a couple this year on wma's.

I was the same way until 3 years ago. My GF convinced me to get a pair (got gaiters) and the very first time I wore them I had a moccasin hit them. I also had several instances where I was wading across a chest deep creek before sunrise, gear above head and had moccasins swim right by me. Since I started wearing them I have actually stepped on a moccasin and had it hit my boots. With all the rain we had this year I saw moccasins on about 1/2 of my October hunts. Just not worth the risk. Tick and snake precautions are now something I do religiously.

Also - the aerohead sports do not weight much more then the regular aeroheads. Another option is what I used for a couple years - snake chaps that strap over your boots.

I've been struck at and live in a swamp, but I don't wear snake boots. Too hot and uncomfortable, and expensive to boot.

Statistically, even without treatment a bite is rarely life-threatening. Most bite stories start with somebody doing something stupid. And regular boots actually provide a fairly significant amount of protection, at least according to my herpetologist buddy.

I advocate moving slowly, watching your step, and not sticking your hands inside any hollow logs or cypress tangles.

But I frog gig in crocs and a swimsuit, so maybe I'm foolhardy. :)

I started wearing them when I squirrel hunted a lot. Spend enough time looking up and your bound to miss something on the ground. Right now I’m using snake proof gaiters. The thing that really motivates me to wear them is I rarely see snakes anymore when hunting. I’m sure there are less in the woods than there were when hawks were a rare sighting but I’m probably walking by some that I don’t see. @Nutterbuster snake bites are rarely life threatening but I know a couple people that have been bit. They survived but they had a rough time for a while and financial challenges for a long time. With being out of work for over a month and hospital bills that approach a home mortgage it will make the most expensive pair of snake boots seem like a bargain. I’m not saying you shouldn’t wear crocs gigging frogs but just some people play it safe while others play the odds.

@EricS, excellent points. Snake bites aren't a joke for sure. For me, it just seems like the risk is overstated. Humans have a visceral fear of being eaten or bitten, even though there are a host of other things that are way more likely to hurt you.

I know guys who have been bitten. But given the number of hunters, campers, surveyors, farmers, biologists, and other high-risk individuals I know who havent been bitten, I just cant justify spending almost 52 weekends a year in boots I dont like.

I can see the argument that my rationale is like not wearing a seat belt or climbing harness because they're uncomfortable. I encourage everybody to think long and hard about how much risk they're comfortable with.

Snakes aren't looking for us to eat or bite. We are just in their territory. A lot of them take off before we even see them.

@Nutterbuster no one accused you of possessing rationale. I haven’t worn mine since at least early October. I have killed rattlesnakes in mid December. I mainly wear them preseason scouting and times when I’m doing summer work.

If I move someplace I need snake boots...... well you'll see pickup loads of gear appear in the classifieds.

Thank you for posting this. I was sitting here thinking about hunting all day tomorrow in the snow storm, counting my hand warmers wishing I didn't need them. I feel great about the snow now.

If I move someplace I need snake boots...... well you'll see pickup loads of gear appear in the classifieds.

Thank you for posting this. I was sitting here thinking about hunting all day tomorrow in the snow storm, counting my hand warmers wishing I didn't need them. I feel great about the snow now.
I see these posts about spiders, snakes and dragonfly sized mosquitoes and it makes me happy I hunt in a cold climate. . . :coldsweat:.

Heck, I got into snakes on December 10th last year. Any warm day around here brings about the possibility of running into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20181207_174411-1200x1600.jpg

Well can't get my boots off pants are frozen almost to my knees. Maybe I was wrong about the snakes.

I have a pair of Danner Jackals. They will soak up a puddle from 10’ away. They are very comfortable though so I think of them as knee high tennis shoes. Haven’t had to test the snake proof abilities but I keep wearing their leaking a**es anyway.

Back