• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Daughters first deer

WISCO

After a few years of eating tag soup my daughter was able to fill her first deer tag. She went out about 8 times this year with me and even did a few all day sits in the early season. With the season quickly coming to an end and the temps dropping she wanted to give it one last go. We got a blind set up on a buddy's Christmas tree farm and let it soak for a few days. Stopping out at the farm to check cameras we found the deer consistently coming through around 4pm. We set a plan to be out there on Sunday at 1pm.
We got out to the blind on time Sunday. We had been sitting for a few hours so we decided to kill some time by looking at a site on crazy trophy rooms of the world when I looked up and we had two doe 10 yards from us staring right at the blind, with all the snow we never heard them come in :openmouth:. They knew something wasn't right and trotted off 20 yards through the timber. My daughter switched spots with me to get to the other window but made the ethical decision not to take the shot with the Xbow through some limbs. That in itself made me proud :grinning:. As the deer moved on I had a sinking feeling that we blew our shot that night, we both were feeling a little discouraged. I pulled my phone out to text the wife what had happened and looked back up and ill be darned if there wasn't two more doe standing in front of us! Ellie was able to get her bow up, calm her nerves and make an excellent shot on her, the doe ran about 20 yards and piled up. We were both so pumped up and excited, fist bumps, hugs and maybe a tear or two. She tracked the deer herself and even got her hands dirty helping me field dress it. She wanted to drag it out herself but it was a huge doe that weighed more than her lol. We made a memory that day that neither one of us will ever forget. Yes her white snow pants are blood stained and her step mom was not impressed lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230106-073746.png
    Screenshot_20230106-073746.png
    363.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot_20230106-073801.png
    Screenshot_20230106-073801.png
    567.5 KB · Views: 113
Awesome! Congratulations to both of you! It looks like you have a real hunter on your hands. It was a long time into my hunting before I did any all day sits. I bet she has a great hunting career ahead.

After a few years of eating tag soup my daughter was able to fill her first deer tag. She went out about 8 times this year with me and even did a few all day sits in the early season. With the season quickly coming to an end and the temps dropping she wanted to give it one last go. We got a blind set up on a buddy's Christmas tree farm and let it soak for a few days. Stopping out at the farm to check cameras we found the deer consistently coming through around 4pm. We set a plan to be out there on Sunday at 1pm.
We got out to the blind on time Sunday. We had been sitting for a few hours so we decided to kill some time by looking at a site on crazy trophy rooms of the world when I looked up and we had two doe 10 yards from us staring right at the blind, with all the snow we never heard them come in :openmouth:. They knew something wasn't right and trotted off 20 yards through the timber. My daughter switched spots with me to get to the other window but made the ethical decision not to take the shot with the Xbow through some limbs. That in itself made me proud :grinning:. As the deer moved on I had a sinking feeling that we blew our shot that night, we both were feeling a little discouraged. I pulled my phone out to text the wife what had happened and looked back up and ill be darned if there wasn't two more doe standing in front of us! Ellie was able to get her bow up, calm her nerves and make an excellent shot on her, the doe ran about 20 yards and piled up. We were both so pumped up and excited, fist bumps, hugs and maybe a tear or two. She tracked the deer herself and even got her hands dirty helping me field dress it. She wanted to drag it out herself but it was a huge doe that weighed more than her lol. We made a memory that day that neither one of us will ever forget. Yes her white snow pants are blood stained and her step mom was not impressed lol.
Hell yes! That’s a boon to your freezer. Oh man you got my blood pumping for the upcoming years with my own daughters. Congrats to both of you!
Just as a side not, I’m wondering if you saw the same two does come back out, or if they were all in the same group and there were more in the brush, or completely different groups. Minor curiosity cuz I’m a nerd for deer behavior.
Anyway, awesome story and awesome deer.

Congratulations to you both and nice shooting.

That doe will be fantastic eating, does she have any meals planned? I started braising the shanks this year and I will never grind the shank meat again.

Congrats to Dad and Daughter! I'll never forget the first two years of the Spring Youth Turkey Hunt. My oldest Daughter connected both seasons neither of us will ever forget that. I think I was happier and more stoked than she was!!!

Hell yes! That’s a boon to your freezer. Oh man you got my blood pumping for the upcoming years with my own daughters. Congrats to both of you!
Just as a side not, I’m wondering if you saw the same two does come back out, or if they were all in the same group and there were more in the brush, or completely different groups. Minor curiosity cuz I’m a nerd for deer behavior.
Anyway, awesome story and awesome deer.
Thanks ! My daughter is 12, shes has been going out with me since she was around 5 and actually hunting for 4 years.
We have a very limited view in these woods but if I had to guess I would say they were different deer. The first two spooked and left to our right and the other two came in from the left. But I couldn't give you a solid answer as they could have circled behind us out of sight and came back in.

Congrats to Dad and Daughter! I'll never forget the first two years of the Spring Youth Turkey Hunt. My oldest Daughter connected both seasons neither of us will ever forget that. I think I was happier and more stoked than she was!!!
That is awesome ! I might have to get my daughter out for spring turkey. I agree I know I was happier for my daughter, just something about taking your kids out hunting and teaching them. there is nothing like it when it all comes together.

Congratulations to you both and nice shooting.

That doe will be fantastic eating, does she have any meals planned? I started braising the shanks this year and I will never grind the shank meat again.

She has planned to eat the heart for breakfast, we had the tenderloins for dinner that night. She asked me not to eat any of her deer while she is gone at her moms, which I wouldn't do. she wants to be present to eat it all lol. So we will have to come up with some meals together. she is very thankful and proud of her harvest.

Awesome! Congratulations to both of you! It looks like you have a real hunter on your hands. It was a long time into my hunting before I did any all day sits. I bet she has a great hunting career ahead.

Thank you ! Shes been bit by the deer hunting bug thats for sure. She loves being out there, and I love taking my kids. I have split custody of my kids so every other weekend during deer season they go out with me. I got to get my time in the stand with them now, wont be long till they want to sit in their own spot / stand lol.

She has planned to eat the heart for breakfast, we had the tenderloins for dinner that night. She asked me not to eat any of her deer while she is gone at her moms, which I wouldn't do. she wants to be present to eat it all lol. So we will have to come up with some meals together. she is very thankful and proud of her harvest.
Damn straight. Find ways to share meals with friends, too. It’ll motivate her that much more to get another next year. There’s some good stuff in the Cooking section of the forums.

That’s is wonderful, I don’t have any daughters but I’ll never forget all hunts with my son, he is 17 now. Hunting and fishing with our children builds a special bond I believe. Congratulations to her and God Bless!

That’s is wonderful, I don’t have any daughters but I’ll never forget all hunts with my son, he is 17 now. Hunting and fishing with our children builds a special bond I believe. Congratulations to her and God Bless!
I agree about the bond. You only have them to yourself for a short time, I try to fit as much outdoor time with them as I can between sports and school. Those memories you make with them will be cherished for life. Thank you, god bless.

Awesome and congratulations! Doe meat the best IMO. Now everyone can enjoy that great meat with stories and memories. Beautiful!

That mite be the best deer hunt I’ve read on the forum this season, and the years to follow I’m sure will be just as special, awesome hunt!!!

Back