• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Day hunt food

Weldabeast

SH Member
Question for u other dark to dark day hunters.....what are u taking to eat.and how do I carry it? I have my list of items I prefer but I wonder what u guys choose to carry. Best energy to size ratio, doesn't get smashed into mush/a million pieces, how u deal with noisy packaging, etc

Whatever food you go with get heavy duty silicon snap bags. Just unpackage food and put it in there. Can even put boiling water in them for making ramen noodles or something similar.

i bring 4 nature valley protein granola bars in dark chocolate and peanut butter flavor, i remove them from their package and put then in a ziploc baggie which isn't silent but much better than original packaging

i also fill 2 miniature gatorade bottles with water (probably 16 to 20 ounces total)....i like the gatorade bottles because they are thick and don't make noise when you use them like the new water bottles do that are only a little thicker than typing paper

i just space all this out and only eat and drink when i really have to so that i don't have to pee that much or get down and poop ever

i used to carry way more water and snacks but that was heavy and had me climbing down once per day

if i'm feeling feisty, i'll throw in a few pieces of beef jerky

on the way in, i usually stop and get coffee and a mcdonald's breakfast meal to eat on the drive in and try to time things so i drop a deuce in the woods next to the wma parking lot right before i hunt

i bring 4 nature valley protein granola bars in dark chocolate and peanut butter flavor, i remove them from their package and put then in a ziploc baggie which isn't silent but much better than original packaging

i also fill 2 miniature gatorade bottles with water (probably 16 to 20 ounces total)....i like the gatorade bottles because they are thick and don't make noise when you use them like the new water bottles do that are only a little thicker than typing paper

i just space all this out and only eat and drink when i really have to so that i don't have to pee that much or get down and poop ever

i used to carry way more water and snacks but that was heavy and had me climbing down once per day

if i'm feeling feisty, i'll throw in a few pieces of beef jerky

on the way in, i usually stop and get coffee and a mcdonald's breakfast meal to eat on the drive in and try to time things so i drop a deuce in the woods next to the wma parking lot right before i hunt
It sounds like u are talking about a long sit in the tree....if u were spot and stalk would u change anything?

PB&J, I have a chamber sealer which turns a PB&J into a great treat if you have one. I did tuna fish this past weekend, I get the single servings of Mayo before the season and that’s my staple most of the fall and winter hunts. I also try to take an apple and toss the core around the 20 yard mark...

Edit - chamber sealer- although I am betting a vacuum sealer will work

Last edited:
It sounds like u are talking about a long sit in the tree....if u were spot and stalk would u change anything?

good catch, definitely would

it is easy to use the bathroom if already on the ground, so that is less of an issue

also, i'd be using more calories and water, so i'd pack double the food and water and it would matter less because i wouldn't have my platform and other gear with me so a few pounds of food would be unnoticed

PB&J, I have a vacuum sealer which turns a PB&J into a great treat if you have one. I did tuna fish this past weekend, I get the single servings of Mayo before the season and that’s my staple most of the fall and winter hunts. I also try to take an apple and toss the core around the 20 yard mark...

wouldn't the vacuum sealer make it all mushy and flat?

Honestly unless I'm doing miles of hiking, it's easiest to eat breakfast in the AM, and dinner in the PM. You don't need lunch. None of us are gonna wither away missing a meal, me least of all.

That said, I do sometimes bring some little Debbie's, jerky, sandwich, Vienna sausages, etc. Mainly because I'm bad about eating when I'm bored. I usually just unwrap whatever I bring and fold it up in a paper towel if it's loud.

wouldn't the vacuum sealer make it all mushy and flat?
It turns it into a harder bar like sandwich. The oils from the peanut butter gets sucked into the bread and the bread has all the air taken out. I discovered it last year playing with my nieces and nephews when we were vacuum packing anything we could find and this one was a cool outcome and dare I say... changed my snaking habits for the better.

also- it’s not messy like you would think. The bread still separates the insides from the out. The edges are a bit messy but you don’t get it all over your hands

I'm diabetic, so I have to eat. Otherwise if I don't and my blood sugar gets to low I'm in danger of being a pinata. I bring with me two meal bars and two granola type bars that will survive my pack in. I"ll also bring with me a thermos of hot meaty soup, a thermos of hot coffee, and a 32 ounces of water. My pack is heavy going in, but light going out. I am literally out there from dawn to dusk...dark to dark. Espcecially during the rut and it's freaking cold.

Question for u other dark to dark day hunters.....what are u taking to eat.and how do I carry it? I have my list of items I prefer but I wonder what u guys choose to carry. Best energy to size ratio, doesn't get smashed into mush/a million pieces, how u deal with noisy packaging, etc
Food is a crutch man!
Before a dark to dark hunt I fast for at least 2 days and only eat plain green salad for 2 days prior to that.

Actually, I like to bring sandwiches with no condiments on them, usually with some romaine lettuce on them. If you are a guy who needs more flavor than turkey and lettuce you can always sprinkle them with some Tony Chachere's because, well, that stuff is good on everything! I wrap them in Glad Cling Wrap because it is quiet but effective. I also like to bring an assortment of nuts mixed with raisins and some peanut M&Ms.

I have only hunted all day a couple times and actually don't prefer to do so but when I do I consider personal comfort (food is certainly in this category) a secondary objective.

I dip snuff pretty much all day and like to have something with flavor in it to recharge my spitter glands, thus the sweets and salty chow.

Honestly, I used to pack a large lunch for an all day sit. Now I find all I really need is just a couple of snacks throughout the day. I usually only pack a couple of candy bars (snickers or reeses). I'm not a breakfast eater and my average sit during the year is right around 3-3.5 hours in length and I don't carry anything to eat for those. I'm not in any danger of wilting if I miss a couple of feedings. :tearsofjoy:

How many protein bars or sandwiches do u take to make it thru the day?

Probably just 2 bars, the ones I get from Costco are like eating a brick so they’re very calorie dense. 1 sandwich, and usually a couple apples. Sometimes jerky, almonds and unwrapped candy bars. When I get cold I tend to eat a lot! Oh and string cheese sticks are another good snack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once took an entire pizza and two liter of Mountain Dew up my ladder stand with me... I got hungry hunting a farm mid day, had it delivered to my truck a 100 yards away and carried it back up into my ladder stand with me. Ate like a king that day. Also saw all kinds of deer before and after. Guess they like the smell of meat lovers as much as I do.

Back