• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Daylight savings time

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
I hate daylight savings time. Once the clocks change I can't get out of work early enough to hunt. It has been getting lighter later and later which equals more sleep and better focused hunts. Sunday morning I'll be up at 3-3:30 to get to my spot. I know it happens every year but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I wish they would do away with it!

Yeah I just don’t see why they have not eliminated it yet. Does it really serve any purpose anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This season is unique to me... I am anticipating daylight savings time so that I can get some evening hunts in. Right now the sun sets too close to my twin babies bed time... my wife gets pretty stressed when she has to wrangle them both to get them ready for bed. I can shift my work schedule to start earlier in the morning to allow for longer sits in the evening.

happy wife, happy life!

Indiana has decided to go with the Eastern time zone for most of the state. It is silly how early it gets dark once the time change occurs. I feel the same way Red, they should do away with it. At least they could have Indiana in the Central time zone as to not have it get dark at 5:15 pm.

We can’t hardly get to many morning hunt spots early enough on wmas once the time changes

FL elected to keep time the same but hasn’t been approved by the feds yet

Maybe by next season

This season is unique to me... I am anticipating daylight savings time so that I can get some evening hunts in. Right now the sun sets too close to my twin babies bed time... my wife gets pretty stressed when she has to wrangle them both to get them ready for bed. I can shift my work schedule to start earlier in the morning to allow for longer sits in the evening.

happy wife, happy life!
Oh I get that!

Agreed, but as I understand it, it is Daylight Savings Time that we enjoy prior to November 4th. It gives us one more hour of daylight after work which is great for October hunting. It is the end of Daylight Savings Time that causes the after work problem in November.

Eliminating Daylight Savings Time would mean having normal time year round which would take away that extra hour of daylight after work.

Of course there is a movement for permanent Daylight Savings Time which would just mean we never adjust clocks but keep the later daylight at the expense of late sunrises, especially in the winter. I believe parts of Canada do this. Russia tried it for several years but it was unpopular so they went back.

Like anything, there are tradeoffs. I'd vote for permanent DST if for no other reason than @redsquirrel's original point of hunting after work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Agreed, but as I understand it, it is Daylight Savings Time that we enjoy prior to November 4th. It gives us one more hour of daylight after work which is great for October hunting. It is the end of Daylight Savings Time that causes the after work problem in November.

Eliminating Daylight Savings Time would mean having normal time year round which would take away that extra hour of daylight after work.

Of course there is a movement for permanent Daylight Savings Time which would just mean we never adjust clocks but keep the later daylight at the expense of late sunrises, especially in the winter. I believe parts of Canada do this. Russia tried it for several years but it was unpopular so they went back.

Like anything, there are tradeoffs. I'd vote for permanent DST if for no other reason than @redsquirrel's original point of hunting after work.

Yes you are correct. I hate the end of daylight savings time. I guess to be more accurate I should say I wish daylight savings time never ended :)

Love it and hate it, I work 6-6 alternating from day work to night work.. when I'm working nights I can get in a evening hunt before work and not feel guilty walking out of the woods before dark.. Sunset this Sunday is gonna be around 5ish!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Saskatchewan does not recognize daylight savings time. They stay in standard time year around.

I agree. This has been a unique season for me too. I have a good buddy who for the past 5 seasons has made hunting his life. He ate, slept, and dreamed about hunting. He is now going through a horrible divorce. No, it wasn't the hunting per say, but it was definitely his absence as a father and man of the house. I have only been 2 times thus far, not that I couldn't have went more, just haven't. Like publicland, we have 2 young kids (5 and 4) and I don't want my wife to have to take the full responsibility for them all the time. We both work, so it's just convicting to me that I get to go sit in a tree stand relaxing knowing she's at home battling two kids.

Be sure you tend to your flock fellas.

Be sure you tend to your flock fellas.

This is pure gold right here yall.

@DanielB89 I feel the same way (my boys are ages 3 & 2). I feel guilty sometimes if I know its been or going to be a rough day for my wife. A quote I try to live by is:

"Your kids will never remember what kind of ________ (insert anything i.e. Hunter, Soldier, Farmer, Doctor, Lawyer) you were, but they will always remember what kind of FATHER you were."

This is pure gold right here yall.

@DanielB89 I feel the same way (my boys are ages 3 & 2). I feel guilty sometimes if I know its been or going to be a rough day for my wife. A quote I try to live by is:

"Your kids will never remember what kind of ________ (insert anything i.e. Hunter, Soldier, Farmer, Doctor, Lawyer) you were, but they will always remember what kind of FATHER you were."

I can't agree anymore. In the end it reminds me to live for what really matters, outside of a relationship with God, I don't want my kids or wife to think I love something more than them. Hunting is something I really enjoy, and I believe it was created as something I can enjoy without guilt as long as I don't take something meant for enjoyment and make it a lifestyle.

I can't agree anymore. In the end it reminds me to live for what really matters, outside of a relationship with God, I don't want my kids or wife to think I love something more than them. Hunting is something I really enjoy, and I believe it was created as something I can enjoy without guilt as long as I don't take something meant for enjoyment and make it a lifestyle.

Yessir!

I get one thing/ hobby... deer hunting. I gave up most of my other hobbies after my boys were born. But now I get to teach my boys everything I know, that's a full time job.

Back