• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Decoy?

Chehaw50

Taking a trip with my Dad up to Missouri during for rifle season. What's everyone's thoughts on a decoy? It's mostly open farm land, pastures and hay fields.

My old English teacher and I usedvtovhunt my uncles 40 acres, he liked to use decoys, they worked occasionally. Occasionally bears would mutilate them. Only once or twice did he complain of bucks moving in and out too quickly on the decoy.

I'd probably hit it with some tinks. And no way would I take one on public.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Unless it’s secluded private I would find it dangerous...Missouri gets hammered during rifle season
It's 300 acres of private, road down 2 sides, other 2 sides border private
This is our first time going up there. Family member land.

Last edited:
Private or public? It would be problematic on public during gun season. Even on private take precautions (lots of orange in transport). I have tried them in Bama with no success. The closer to the Midwest, the better the results I have heard.

Private or public? It would be problematic on public during gun season. Even on private take precautions (lots of orange in transport). I have tried them in Bama with no success. The closer to the Midwest, the better the results I have heard.
300 acres private

Yeah never seen an opportunity to really use them here in Alabama. This will be our first trip up there. Kicking ourselves for not going years sooner. I was just curious to see what everyone thought about using a decoy.

Go for it bub! Make sure it’s facing you or facing a way I have had mix results with one

I used the Cherokee Sports decoy here in MO a time or two. The one time deer happened alone the buck didn't pay it any attention but it really set the doe off. She snorted and got really aggressive with it. I was in timber so probably not the best place to use it. Possibly she mistook it for one of the neighbors dogs too.

300 acres private

Yeah never seen an opportunity to really use them here in Alabama. This will be our first trip up there. Kicking ourselves for not going years sooner. I was just curious to see what everyone thought about using a decoy.
You a Bama guy too? Where abouts? I am North Alabama in the Huntsville/Madison area.

You ever hunted the Midwest before?
Only southern Illinois which was farm land and hard woods, very similar to here, except bigger deer. Buck had to be 150 or better. Had 10pt last morning walk by that was kinda borderline. Made the decision not to shoot. Scared if he was under I wouldn't get an invite back. Wound up eating the tag but seen lots a good deer I would have shot here at home.

The land we are hunting is 2 miles from the Iowa line. Both my dad and uncle went out there to visit 2 years ago. Seen lots of good bucks. It was in the summer. We were going to plan a trip with all three of us but my uncle past away from cancer that October.

Everything I have seen of the land in Missouri has been from Onx and Google maps. It's been 15 years since I've hunted with my dad so that alone will a great experience in its own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Only southern Illinois which was farm land and hard woods, very similar to here, except bigger deer. Buck had to be 150 or better. Had 10pt last morning walk by that was kinda borderline. Made the decision not to shoot. Scared if he was under I wouldn't get an invite back. Wound up eating the tag but seen lots a good deer I would have shot here at home.

The land we are hunting is 2 miles from the Iowa line. Both my dad and uncle went out there to visit 2 years ago. Seen lots of good bucks. It was in the summer. We were going to plan a trip with all three of us but my uncle past away from cancer that October.

Everything I have seen of the land in Missouri has been from Onx and Google maps. It's been 15 years since I've hunted with my dad so that alone will a great experience in its own.

So it looks like it won’t be a surprise on the caliber and quantity of deer. Have a good time!

So it looks like it won’t be a surprise on the caliber and quantity of deer. Have a good time!
Thanks! I think it wont be a surprise to me, now my dad maybe a little, other then going out there to visit, he has never hunted outside Georgia or Alabama.

Used a decoy from a goose pit this evening. Decoyed 5 different bucks. Not one spooked out. A spike fed with the decoy for an hour. Passed a nice 3.5 yo. Gotta do the Tapatalk thing to load pics. Fun night.

Back