• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Decoys in early season?

bigbuck247

Any of y’all with decoy experience use them in early season? I have a new Montana decoy company Trixie doe decoy that I got mainly for the rut but contemplating using it early season but can’t find much solid info on using decoys early. Any experience with this or tips?

Put it out and let us know the reactions you get. Are you shooting bucks only? Or does also.

I think you'll get negative reactions from does but this is based on very limited experience with decoying whitetails.

Put it out and let us know the reactions you get. Are you shooting bucks only? Or does also.

I think you'll get negative reactions from does but this is based on very limited experience with decoying whitetails.
Both but mainly after bucks right now. Everyone that has replied here or on another forum I am on has said the same thing about the does reacting. I am a duck hunter too so I thought it might work as a confidence decoy in a way that puts them at ease to know another deer is in there and is not alert.

Decoys will put deer on alert. During rut, that’s a good thing with a big buck as all he wants to do is assert dominance physically. That distraction can be welcome.

Maybe you’ll have some situation where the distraction will help you early season, but it will likely be circumstantial. If the odds of that happening is worth 100% certainty the deer will be keyed up when you shoot, go for it.

The main thing with a deer decoy, is to use it in an open area where the deer can see it in advance. 80 yards is good, but further is better. They don't like being surprised by walking upon a strange deer....because they're familiar with the deer in their area.
If you use a buck decoy, only use 1 antler. It shows less dominance and an approaching buck will feel less intimidated.
Face a buck decoy towards YOUR location, an approaching buck will want to face his opponent and this will put him in a good shot position.

Quite the opposite for doe decoys. Face them away from YOUR location, because an approaching buck will want to get behind her to check her scent to see if she's in heat and/or receptive. Does may or may not approach a doe decoy. :rolleyes: Girls are fickle. I've seen a doe walk up to my doe decoy, squat and pee next to it, all the while scraping the ground, in attempt to show her dominance. I've seen other does check the decoy from time to time, but kept their distance by 25 yards or more. Didn't spook, but didn't like the decoy either.

Personally, I've stopped using deer decoys. They're a pain to carry in and out of the area. Plus, most of them are noisy. o_O
I have had good results using hen turkey decoys, for deer hunting. Deer trust turkeys, but turkeys don't trust anything. :) I'm sitting on the ground, wearing a leafy suit, only 12 yards behind these does (downwind) and they never gave me a look. :cool:
deer turkey 1.jpg
deer turkey 3.jpg

I second the turkey decoys putting deer at ease. The presence of a turkey tells the deer that the spot has already been vetted. Deer also don't know (as far as I know) that turkeys don't have the same acute sense of smell they do.

My dad and I hunt an area together that is surrounded by big bucks in posted land. We have had luck putting out a doe decoy and a small buck decoy feeding to draw the deer across the line. Like stated above, face them away from you. If possible put them in the n a way that the other deer need to pass you to get to them and check them out. Set up down wind and behind the decoys for the best opportunity.

Back