• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

deep south swamps

mschultz373

SH Member
I did my (probably) final scouting walk before the summer Saturday in a swamp on public in deep south-east LA. unfortunately my scouting was cut short by an asp catterpillar sting (they are so mean!!!) but I wanted to get feedback on making sense of this area.

swamp.jpg

Area A is very thick mixed woods, with many live oaks, small elms/dogwoods/red maple, and some stands of big palmettos. tall grass and various weeds grow everywhere except under the live oaks and the palmettos. there were obvious bedding areas (marked in red waypoints) within 100yards of the road in some of the tall grass.

B is open swamp, with low trees (wax myrtle and small dogwoods) and plants growing. soft ground that is hard to navigate without snow shoes, but deer trails cut across it. a bayou (the blue waypoint) cuts N/S continued from the water feature above.

C is cypress swamp, with many tall trees and is pretty open. I didn't get out there, as I got stung at the tree I marked in green just at the bottom of it...

As you can tell, this all basically flat, save the small ridges that trees grow in in the swamp area

A main concern of mine is that, despite finding bedding sign, I didn't find any droppings on this scouting walk. I tend to put heavy value on droppings, particularly if they are fresh, as that tells me the deer are currently using the area/traveling those routes. Of course, in late May, it may be of less value. but I note that still.

My general interpretation of this area would be to set up either on a live oak in A, on the edge of A and B, or further into C. because B is so open, my guess is the deer will only travel in it and not spend too much time in it. It would be hard to get on them in A, as it's so thick and the only tall trees are the live oaks, but when the live oaks drop, the deer will surely eat them. Finally, C is an area I am curious about. The tall cypress would make for easy in-the-air setup. but I have no confirmation that the deer favor that area. Also, the bayou that cuts thru C into B is a feature to value... setting up near it in C might make sense. (P.S, the northmost edge of C is ~600 yards from road)

So any thoughts or critiques of my interpretation here is much appreciated. I am still new to the game and just trying to learn what I can!

Last edited:
I didn’t really break down what you wrote because I’m watching the race and halfheartedly reading enough to get the gist, but here are my SE swamp hunting beliefs.

The open woods will lure you in to some long boring sits if you buy into the sign you find there. The majority of it is made at night.

The thick areas are your friend. The thick areas that have least little bit of positive elevation gain are your best friend.

Water oaks, pin oaks and live oaks are money in the bank.

Deer are lazy. Swamp deer are supremely lazy. The shortest route ain’t the easy route when the ground is soft or the water is deep. Look for the worn out trails around the soft stuff and the wet stuff.

Get you a good wintertime aerial or a topo map and treat it as if you were Blackbeard and it was a treasure map. Because it is. Mark it up with all of the above and keep updating it. Every time you jump deer mark their beds. Every time you see deer mark the path they took while in sight. Don’t try to guess, only mark their travels where you were able to see them.

Show your map to NO ONE.

Flat SE swamps are tough, but very productive and quite predictable once you figure them out.

ETA: I just took a closer look at your pic….sucks that there’s a road along the river.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m unsure how pressured this land is, as I’ve not hunted it before but I would suspect plenty of guys will pull up on the road and walk <100 yards in.

but there are plenty of acreages in this parcel that are deeper in or accessible by boat that would likely be fruitful. The harvest reports for this area are more encouraging than other WMAs nearby - surprising, given how tough the terrain is…

If you stick with it and learn it I think you’ll find that it’s VERY predictable. Find an approach that keeps you in the action then stick with it and fine tune it.

Dont post it unless you want too but I would look at that spot on Caltopo. When you start zooming in on spots, you may be able to see very minor landscape features that dont show by topo lines. There may be little high spots or ridges that are only a foot or two different than the rest of the area. If there are, compare how those lay or run to the timber or vegetation. If you can find a few spots where 2 or more of those features meet, go check it.

A spot on your pic that stands out to me is that inside corner west of your top area. It's not a super defined corner like on an ag field but I would definitely take a look at that spot.

One of the WMAs I hunt in MN is mostly swamp. I'll try to apply some of this advice to my WMA and check back. I've hunted it a bunch but haven't put in the scouting time it deserves.

Dont post it unless you want too but I would look at that spot on Caltopo. When you start zooming in on spots, you may be able to see very minor landscape features that dont show by topo lines. There may be little high spots or ridges that are only a foot or two different than the rest of the area. If there are, compare how those lay or run to the timber or vegetation. If you can find a few spots where 2 or more of those features meet, go check it.

A spot on your pic that stands out to me is that inside corner west of your top area. It's not a super defined corner like on an ag field but I would definitely take a look at that spot.

Definitely. That one or two foot difference in flat country can make all the difference in the world. That higher ground often supports more and different vegetation. Meaning thicker and lusher. Meaning bedding and food.

Seasonally flooded swampland tends to have vast expanses of nothing. That nothing may be damned beautiful, but it’s a desert so learn to ignore it.

This is really interesting to me b/c I would have overlooked that area and still am not sure I totally see what you see. Is it noteworthy because it an edge, where that outer cypress swamp starts to transition to marsh?

Just trying to see what you guys see!

Especially with that slough pinching it off.

I’m telling ya my man MAP. Heck, use app if that’s what you like, but map everything and have a system. You can walk a transition and lay down a trail. Eventually the whole area will open up and come to you. Compare what you find real time with the available layers on the app and before you know it picking that stuff out on an aerial will be second nature.

This is really interesting to me b/c I would have overlooked that area and still am not sure I totally see what you see. Is it noteworthy because it an edge, where that outer cypress swamp starts to transition to marsh?

Just trying to see what you guys see!
Yes the E/W edge meets the N/S edge and like @dalton916 mentioned it looks like there is a slough that ends right at that corner. Some other spots I would want to put eyes on are where the more significant line of cypress that more or less runs through the middle of C hits that bayou on the east side and then again where it continues on the west side. Then following that line moving west there is a Y of bigger cypress that continues up to the inside corner. The Y junction would be another spot. Drop pins on spots while you are looking at the maps, then go check those spots to confirm deer are or are not using. While out there hiking it, mark spots with sign and then come back and look at where they are in the bigger context of the area and it will start making more sense about why and how deer are using the property. If there are big knees in that cypress brake watch for rub lines on the knees too as you may pick up some extra line of travel clues.

Especially with that slough pinching it off.

I’m telling ya my man MAP. Heck, use app if that’s what you like, but map everything and have a system. You can walk a transition and lay down a trail. Eventually the whole area will open up and come to you. Compare what you find real time with the available layers on the app and before you know it picking that stuff out on an aerial will be second nature.
^^ this right here!! Only thing I would add is use multiple maps, Onx, Google earth, Caltopo, etc. On a computer pull multiple up and then size them to as close to the same aspect as you can get while zooming in on specific spots or features.

Do you use a particular layer or anything to help identify the little ridges?

I have not a very useful topo map for these areas, although the shaded relief function on Caltopo isn’t bad - the elevation change in these swamps is a matter of only a couple feet max, so often they are no captured in topo maps.

But I take the point - any ridge/higher ground will be dry, and will hold deer.

I have not a very useful topo map for these areas, although the shaded relief function on Caltopo isn’t bad - the elevation change in these swamps is a matter of only a couple feet max, so often they are no captured in topo maps.

But I take the point - any ridge/higher ground will be dry, and will hold deer.
Zoom in to particular spots. Sometimes stuff wont actually show until you zoom in some. And sometimes there arent any features and the area is truly skillet flat.

Zoom in to particular spots. Sometimes stuff wont actually show until you zoom in some. And sometimes there arent any features and the area is truly skillet flat.
There have been some recent (well, within the past 18 months or so) threads about GIS and other mapping tools. I see a value to these tools in your specific situation; you can download a high-resolution Digital Elevation Module (DEM) and set your contour lines to whatever you want. IIRC I was working with a 6-cm resolution DEM 10 years ago and could visualize subtle changes in terrain, slope angles and aspects, all sorts of stuff. It might be overkill but if all of your terrain is within a meter or so of elevation then this sort of analysis might be hugely informative.

There have been some recent (well, within the past 18 months or so) threads about GIS and other mapping tools. I see a value to these tools in your specific situation; you can download a high-resolution Digital Elevation Module (DEM) and set your contour lines to whatever you want. IIRC I was working with a 6-cm resolution DEM 10 years ago and could visualize subtle changes in terrain, slope angles and aspects, all sorts of stuff. It might be overkill but if all of your terrain is within a meter or so of elevation then this sort of analysis might be hugely informative.
Holy cow, any rec on one to download and use???

Holy cow, any rec on one to download and use???
I've dinked around with qGIS, and have read good things about GrassGIS as well. I've used ArcMap and other ESRI products professionally so the learning curve was pretty short for me. This is very powerful, pro-level software, and it does take a lot more to learn it than, say Google Earth. Which is not to dissuade you, but rather to caution you against frustration as you learn. Once you learn it, though, you can really nerd out on making some really cool and useful maps.

de4b8d7cbb897fa21b7eb36dad0bcf9c.jpg

Made a scouting run Saturday in a river bottom area I have never been too. Here is an example of small elevation changes, edges and how deer will use them. In this shot I am on the down slope off a “ridge”. This whole section had been under water. As the water starts falling out the ridges are exposed first and deer walk the water edge down to certain point. You can see where the edge trail was. From there back to the right was still being walked heavily. Just an occasional track across the bottom. In the upper left you can see a parallel ridge, also heavily used. To the right in the other side of the ridge I was in is a deep ditch about 35 yards across that serves as a hard edge. The slough, ridge and ditch punch down at a couple of spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back