• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer are so tough

devildog

So I was hunting opening day of Missouri rifle season Saturday, and about about 20 minutes into the hunt I had a good buck come by with what looked like a huge injury in its body. He was acting normal and injury looked healed, but I couldn’t shot him I keep thinking if he lived through that he deserved to make it another year. Check out the pic it’s crazy how tough these deer are.
2c607bc8481e3e11b1cd45d81deae769.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I would have took him out. My guess is he will expire from infection. A hole to the guts like that probably won't heal.

I would normally agree but the hole looked healed up. He was working a scrap near me for 10 minutes and I got a lot of time to watch him, the had even grown over the hole but it was deep like 6 inches or more. He was acting really normal, but to tell you truth I'm kicking my self in the ass for not taking him out now, he had a nice rack.

I would normally agree but the hole looked healed up. He was working a scrap near me for 10 minutes and I got a lot of time to watch him, the had even grown over the hole but it was deep like 6 inches or more. He was acting really normal, but to tell you truth I'm kicking my self in the ass for not taking him out now, he had a nice rack.
He looked like a nice buck. Someone is probably kicking themselves for taking a poor shot at him.
I had a monster two years ago come into 100 yards and only gave me a quartering away shot with only guts visible and I passed. A lot of guys are pulling that trigger relying on their big 30-06 to put him down, that's not a chance I take. They deserve better than that.

Years ago in gun season, I heard a weird squishing noise coming my way. I turn and see a doe with a giant gaping wound in her side trotting toward me. It looked like someone was using a hollow point and hit the shoulder blade, and it literally blew up.

There was a softball sized hole in her side and the squishing noise was apparently her lungs sloshing around. I contemplated putting her down, figuring someone would be tracking shortly to find her. The problem was I had already filled my doe tag for that unit, so technically I didn't have a tag for her. If nobody showed up, I would have an illegal deer on my hands.

Unfortunately, I was forced to make the unethical, but legal decision. I let her go and much to my surprise, nobody showed up. I waited until after dark, got down and followed her tracks in the snow via headlamp, figuring she couldn't have gone far. After about 200+ yds of "still going", I hit a property line and had to stop.

To this day, I've still never seen anything like it.

Years ago in gun season, I heard a weird squishing noise coming my way. I turn and see a doe with a giant gaping wound in her side trotting toward me. It looked like someone was using a hollow point and hit the shoulder blade, and it literally blew up.

There was a softball sized hole in her side and the squishing noise was apparently her lungs sloshing around. I contemplated putting her down, figuring someone would be tracking shortly to find her. The problem was I had already filled my doe tag for that unit, so technically I didn't have a tag for her. If nobody showed up, I would have an illegal deer on my hands.

Unfortunately, I was forced to make the unethical, but legal decision. I let her go and much to my surprise, nobody showed up. I waited until after dark, got down and followed her tracks in the snow via headlamp, figuring she couldn't have gone far. After about 200+ yds of "still going", I hit a property line and had to stop.

wondering if you shot her and contacted dnrec if they would be ok and just let you donate it
we should probably all do some research on this for our specific states
I just can not seeing dnrec letting an animal in a bad condition go almost like the tags police use for deer hit by cars

That is crazy, and a tough position to be in. I probably would have choose to be legal also, but had to be hard.

I could put my hand in the 450 hole from mine Friday. Zero blood and close to 350 yards.

Tough, tough critters.

Are you sure that it was an injury or a wound?
I've seen deer with wart clusters, tumors, fibrosis, etc. They often show spots like that.

I am not sure it was a wound just assumed it was. Definitely looked like a hole had healed but who knows, I wonder if the meat would have been bad around the area?

Back