• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer Carcass Disposal (Out of state hunt)

csp13

Question for people who hunt out of state. How do you dispose of deer carcasses? In particular, Ohio and Illinois? Knowing my luck, I won't have to worry about this issue cause I'll strike out in both states. But in the off chance I bag myself a deer, could you give a brother some advice?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Check the state laws. A lot of the states have laws such as you need to leave the genitalia attached, head antlers etc.

Thanks @bigjoe !

I plan on dragging out the deer and processing it in camp. Ohio's Hunting and Trapping handbook says this, "Properly dispose of a deer carcass. Be sure to double-bag all high-risk parts (brain, spinal cord, eyes, and lymphoid tissues) and dispose of them with your household trash."

I plan on camping during my trip so I am sure I can find a dumpster somewhere at the campsite.

Thanks @bigjoe !

I plan on dragging out the deer and processing it in camp. Ohio's Hunting and Trapping handbook says this, "Properly dispose of a deer carcass. Be sure to double-bag all high-risk parts (brain, spinal cord, eyes, and lymphoid tissues) and dispose of them with your household trash."

I plan on camping during my trip so I am sure I can find a dumpster somewhere at the campsite.
I was told you could quarter it out but had to have sex(head). If not I’ll be in trouble. I’m hunting the southern part and I’ll be deep. There will be no way if I kill a decent deer I could drag him up and down those ridges by myself. Guess I’ll email the warden and see what they say that’s the safest bet for me. Otherwise I need to come up with a new plan.

I hunted Illinois last year but won’t be going back this year. That price tag was a little too high. Just curious if anyone had any experience with getting rid of a carcass there for future reference.

I live in Illinois...unfortunately. When I bring a deer home and debone it I place the carcass in a trash bag, tie if off and place it my dumpster. The trash men come in an take it away. You do have to bring the deer out intact (sans guts) but once the meat is off you can dispose of the bones the same way you do with garbage. Keep your tag with your meat though...head and cape...etc.

Back