• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer cart for walking and bike pulling

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC
This is my 25+ year old deer cart that has hauled literal tons of deer out of the woods, and even an @KelvinM12 once! She is looking a little rough because I just stripped off the 10 year old pipe insulation and hockey tape that was covering it. It is just welded conduit with 20" bike wheels, and a removable handle. All the weight is balanced over the axle, so it is extremely easy to pull a lot of weight with little effort, even uphill. I have tied the handle to my bike seat post before with a rope, but plan to make a 2nd special handle just for that purpose while I have her torn down, and going to add sheet metal to the sides to keep the hooves from poking through and stopping the spokes (been planning to do that for 20 yrs). If anyone wants to make one, pm and I can get measurements.
c15fdaca0625f7306850d58b8cd71ce7.jpg

John H.

Sziggy2.0

Apr 5, 2019
Wanting to see it connect to the bike as well, please post when you do.

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC
The challenge I have now is both of my mtn bikes are full suspension with dropper seat posts, so attachment is going to be picky without damaging the bikes. It was easy on my old hardtail without a dropper.

John H.

Scott F

Feb 15, 2015
Tampa, Florida
Got any plans for a one-wheeled take down travois? If not, someone should make one with an inflatable wheel so it is compact in your backpack and can be inflated with a canister or two of compressed air when needed. Make it free of poles because a quick couple cuts from a saw can turn saplings into the poles that are tied, strapped, or ratcheted to the axel of the wheel. A small mesh hammock could be used to hold the deer in place between the sticks or maybe just a small section of Tyvek or similar light-weight yet strong material. Just a thought...

Other than that, your cart looks great - obviously it works well!

Reactions: Bwhana

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC
One thing I forgot about this cart is it was made by the guy that invented the Benz Silent Rider ATV silencer. We were in a club together and he made several for the members. Mine is actually the first one he made for himself and I talked him into selling it to me. He made my dad one too and @KelvinM12 has it now. Mine didn't come with a detachable handle, he figure that out on dad's and I retrofitted mine.

John H.

Reactions: fbwguy

Sheldon

Oct 30, 2018
There has got to be a story behind “hauling a Kelvin”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spence71

blzn04

Dec 14, 2018
i dont have a bike with rear suspension so i bought one of those little cargo racks for the back and also attached cloth saddle bags for carrying misc gear. I attached paracord loop to the rear of the rack with a biner on it. then ran an eyebolt through the handle of the game cart. Just attach it via the biner to the eyebolt. the paracord allows for the biner to slide a bit side to side on sharp turns. i have a lot of deadfalls to go over where i have to disconnect the cart and place the bike over then pull the cart over and reattach so i needed a pretty quick disconnect. last yr i practiced with it with about 70lbs of total weight. My buddies climber, my m60u/sticks, both our packs and guns late season. i was very pleased with how well it performed. Even going up gradual hills was easy pulling all the weight as long as you changed the gears accordingly. hoping to drag a deer out this year lol

ImThere

Oct 20, 2015
Lewisburg, TN
www.tapatalk.com
John, just bag your deer its not hard to do, don't add weight and is quiet
I would pull the handle out and retro fit from there to an axle mount, with a rod end with a quick release pin

Bwhana

SH Member
Dec 8, 2017
Hickory, NC
The axle mount is my plan, just working through details. I have almost $5k in my main bike, so I don't do anything to it that will mess up anything! I should just get a used hardtail beater for hunting use. I don't use my bike that much for deer hunting, more for turkeys, and usually just bone out the hams and back straps to pack out if it is way back.

John H.

blzn04

Dec 14, 2018
The axle mount is my plan, just working through details. I have almost $5k in my main bike, so I don't do anything to it that will mess up anything! I should just get a used hardtail beater for hunting use. I don't use my bike that much for deer hunting, more for turkeys, and usually just bone out the hams and back straps to pack out if it is way back.

John H.

Yea I have a 75$ mountain bike I use lol. But its actually a really nice bike. Its like a 1998 Trek that was taken care of. But I dont mind modding it. Ive thought about buying a new bike but this one keeps tickin