• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer coming from behind you

WCork

When hunting from a saddle. What generally happens when deer come in from behind you? Do you typically hear them? I'm wondering how many times us saddle hunters get picked off from behind. Would love to hear from you experienced saddle hunters what has happened to you in the past when deer approach from behind you.

I either hear them or see them, Swivel my head a lot. Don't get picked off very often at all. Don't like them to come in from behind me. But it happens, no different that a regular stand. Except we can shoot behind us with out any trouble.

Thanks,
Boswell

Like the rest of you I'm sure, I try to keep my right shoulder towards the least likely avenue of approach. I find that's the most difficult shot to pull off from a saddle. It's not an impossible shot by any stretch, but not the best case scenario either. I still feel like the saddle gives you an advantage when the deer do sneak in from behind. You look less like a big oddly shaped blob sitting in the tree, and more like some weird limbs. I've found deer way less likely to pick me off in the saddle than a traditional climber or lock on.

I had a buck come in this evening on my right side. I got stuck in that awkward right toes into left heel position with the tree on my right thigh for about 20 minutes. Talk about a calf burner. I wish I had a backwards shot those are a breeze.

I was telling Stykbow1 this the other day when he came to check out my saddle. I think my approach is different than a lot of people but I'll be interested to hear everyone elses thoughts.

My motto is "gotta see the deer before they see me". I am fairly regularly moving around in the tree (small, slow movements). Whether it is "head on a swivel" like Boswell said, or if I slowly shift around my steps, I am constantly scanning the woods in all directions. A lot of the big woods I hunt a deer could easily show up from any direction. I am typically hunting at about 25 feet and always try to get in between a fork or under/over a branch for cover.

I very, very rarely get picked off. And any deer that has picked me off is usually close to or in bow range. If I can see them coming in from 75+ yards out, I can slowly maneuver into position so I don't have to move when they are close.

On those crisp cool fall days where the leaves are crunching it is hard for them to sneak in without you hearing them (although sometimes they still do!). It is those days when it has either rained and everything is really quiet or when it is really windy and you can't hear when you have to be extra diligent in looking around you to spot them.

I have been in some funky positions to shoot behind me or behind me to the right before. The combination of the saddle and seeing the deer in time to get into position has enabled me to pull off those shots.

redsquirrel said:
I was telling Stykbow1 this the other day when he came to check out my saddle. I think my approach is different than a lot of people but I'll be interested to hear everyone elses thoughts.

My motto is "gotta see the deer before they see me". I am fairly regularly moving around in the tree (small, slow movements). Whether it is "head on a swivel" like Boswell said, or if I slowly shift around my steps, I am constantly scanning the woods in all directions. A lot of the big woods I hunt a deer could easily show up from any direction. I am typically hunting at about 25 feet and always try to get in between a fork or under/over a branch for cover.

I very, very rarely get picked off. And any deer that has picked me off is usually close to or in bow range. If I can see them coming in from 75+ yards out, I can slowly maneuver into position so I don't have to move when they are close.

On those crisp cool fall days where the leaves are crunching it is hard for them to sneak in without you hearing them (although sometimes they still do!). It is those days when it has either rained and everything is really quiet or when it is really windy and you can't hear when you have to be extra diligent in looking around you to spot them.

I have been in some funky positions to shoot behind me or behind me to the right before. The combination of the saddle and seeing the deer in time to get into position has enabled me to pull off those shots.

I'm usually the same way. Usually moving in short and slow movements keeping my head on a swivel...especially if I'm hearing something. So I'm glad to hear you rarely get picked off.

redsquirrel said:
My motto is "gotta see the deer before they see me". I am fairly regularly moving around in the tree (small, slow movements). Whether it is "head on a swivel" like Boswell said, or if I slowly shift around my steps, I am constantly scanning the woods in all directions.

Exactly right! This is one of the biggest bonuses of hunting out of a sling style stand as opposed to a traditional hang on or climber. If you pick your tree/location wisely (like in a big branch fork or in a cluster of trees), you can really get away with some movement.

The buck I just killed (posted a thread on here with pics) came in from behind me and worked his way past me on my right side. I had enough time to simply swing clockwise around the tree and I was ready for him! That is most definitely the worst side when hunting from a saddle (web in my case). While sitting I tend to push with one foot on my top stick and SLOWLY rotate while turning my head to look. Seems to work good and so far this year I have only been busted once I think.

I don't think I hunt as much as many of you, but I too cannot ever remember being picked off by a deer in a saddle. I also move around quite a bit, albeit slowly and deliberately, in order to scan 360 for deer and also just to shift my weight, adjust the saddle, and stay warm and comfortable. Even with that I don't think I have ever been picked off. I hunt at 22 feet whenever possible and also try to be near a fork, a branch , or another tree for cover. Every deer except one that I have shot out of a saddle has involved me moving at least 180 degrees around the tree in order to set up for the shot. And still I didn't get seen by the deer.

By contrast, every once in a while I get to hunt at a friend's place out of a 15ft double ladder stand. I have found that I must remain almost entirely motionless to avoid being picked off, and on 2 occasions just the slightest movement trying to get situated for a close range shot has caused the deer to look straight up at me. Additionally, I have missed out on several shot opportunities because the deer was behind me and stayed behind me, and I couldn't get turned around for a shot or the big tree the ladder stand is against blocked a shot opportunity.

"By contrast, every once in a while I get to hunt at a friend's place out of a 15ft double ladder stand. I have found that I must remain almost entirely motionless to avoid being picked off, and on 2 occasions just the slightest movement trying to get situated for a close range shot has caused the deer to look straight up at me. Additionally, I have missed out on several shot opportunities because the deer was behind me and stayed behind me, and I couldn't get turned around for a shot or the big tree the ladder stand is against blocked a shot opportunity."

I feel the same way you do everytime I hunt at my buddies place out of one of his ladder stands the deer always look up at you trying to pick you off because the stands are in the same place year in and year out and if they come from any direction other than your left or slightly out front and to your left it's a tough shot. I would rather be in a saddle any day than a ladder stand I really don't like them at all.

Roger

Stykbow1 said:
"By contrast, every once in a while I get to hunt at a friend's place out of a 15ft double ladder stand. I have found that I must remain almost entirely motionless to avoid being picked off, and on 2 occasions just the slightest movement trying to get situated for a close range shot has caused the deer to look straight up at me. Additionally, I have missed out on several shot opportunities because the deer was behind me and stayed behind me, and I couldn't get turned around for a shot or the big tree the ladder stand is against blocked a shot opportunity."

I feel the same way you do everytime I hunt at my buddies place out of one of his ladder stands the deer always look up at you trying to pick you off because the stands are in the same place year in and year out and if they come from any direction other than your left or slightly out front and to your left it's a tough shot. I would rather be in a saddle any day than a ladder stand I really don't like them at all.

Roger

Just do what I have done this year, climb up the ladder and hang above the stand in the saddle. Works great!

Sent from space

Broncoinva said:
I don't think I hunt as much as many of you, but I too cannot ever remember being picked off by a deer in a saddle. I also move around quite a bit, albeit slowly and deliberately, in order to scan 360 for deer and also just to shift my weight, adjust the saddle, and stay warm and comfortable. Even with that I don't think I have ever been picked off. I hunt at 22 feet whenever possible and also try to be near a fork, a branch , or another tree for cover. Every deer except one that I have shot out of a saddle has involved me moving at least 180 degrees around the tree in order to set up for the shot. And still I didn't get seen by the deer.

By contrast, every once in a while I get to hunt at a friend's place out of a 15ft double ladder stand. I have found that I must remain almost entirely motionless to avoid being picked off, and on 2 occasions just the slightest movement trying to get situated for a close range shot has caused the deer to look straight up at me. Additionally, I have missed out on several shot opportunities because the deer was behind me and stayed behind me, and I couldn't get turned around for a shot or the big tree the ladder stand is against blocked a shot opportunity.

We should use this as an advertisement for saddle hunting! :cool:

Ok tonight was a perfect example had a WSW wind and normally the deer come from the west and then turn north as they pass me so I was watching the normal trail when my buddy texted me a six pointer was making his way toward me from behind. I could hear him walking up behind me but because the pine tree was between us I couldn't see him but I could hear him moving very slowly and carefully toward me. I was waiting for him to get into my peripheral vision when all of a sudden all the noise stopped and things got quiet and I was straining to hear or see him out of the corner of my eye. I guess it was a couple of minutes but felt like twenty when I decided to turn my head to see if he was below me and as I turned my head my leafy suit snagged some pine bark and that was all it took the deer ran back to the edge woods and then snuck away. If I was in the saddle I could have easily maneuvered so that I was able to see in that direction and with the tree in front of me instead of behind me block my view. Also with the hang on stand you are locked into the direction that you placed the stand where as the saddle you can maneuver around the tree depending on your needs. I can't wait to get a saddle!!!!

Roger

Back