• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer Hunting Substack?!

Jmarzey

I have always enjoyed writing, no matter the subject. But lately I have found myself writing about what I am most passionate about; hunting. I have always loved telling stories, and I have even tried the self filming thing that so many of you enjoy doing. For me, self filming added another layer of chores that I did not necessarily want to be putting up with.

A few years back after listening to Mr. Warren Womack on a podcast for the first time, I took up the habit of tracking, logging, and journaling every hunt. Fast forward five years, and here I sit, with five journals slap full of stuff. Some of the stories are exciting, some detail heartbreaks in the woods, and others explain lessons that I have learned. Instead of telling those stories to buddies around a campfire, I wanted a way to share them with whoever wanted to read them.

A buddy of mine is a contributor for the Field Ethos Journal, so I went to him and asked what I could do. I explained that I had no intention of writing for Eastman's, or giving up my day job to write about hunting, but I wanted a way to share my experiences. That is when he told me about substack. This blogging style site allows people to write about whatever they want, publish it, add photos, and much more. I jumped on and started searching for anything hunting related, and the results were what you'd expect; not much.

So I jumped on the train and started a substack ( https://joshmarzula58.substack.com/ ). I have only posted a couple of things but I absolutely love the way the site works. It gives all sorts of analytics on views and interactions, and allows you to post directly on to social media.

This is not a post trying to get the saddle hunter community to check out my substack.

What I want to know is, is anybody out there still reading articles or blogs?
What makes you guys want to read something that pops up on your phone?
How long is too long, when it comes to reading a story about another dudes experiences?
What do you guys want to read about?
And anything else you guys thing when it comes to a hunting based page.

I know that when the season comes around, I live on here looking for y'all's stories and pictures. I love reading about your hunts, the details of the shot, and what made you successful. So, the plan is to have a place where my stories and updates go. More of a weekly blog about my experiences, things I find useful, and some of my favorite hunting stories from the past.

Like I said, I am just looking for some input from you guys when it comes to reading something like that. Would ya read it? let me know what you think!

I enjoy a good hunting story better than most hunting articles. Length doesnt matter. What I found over the years and why I drifted away from hunting mag subscriptions is that they are basically just annual re-prints of the same information with the wording changed a little here or there. For a new hunter, they can be beneficial and every once in a while a seasoned hunter might pick up a little nugget they missed but for the most part they just get boring. @Fl Canopy Stalker ;)

Back