• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer management and issues with saddles

Kmarks

Apr 15, 2018
Hey everyone.

I live in SW Ohio and are near two metro park programs that offer deer management programs. Both programs allow ladder and climbing stands. But are hesitant with saddles.

Has anyone had the same issue? And how did you handle it? Were you able to use it after some show and tell?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kbetts

SH Member
Oct 13, 2015
Delaware
I’m curious on this as well as I’ve heard the same rumors. As long as you aren’t damaging trees.....I don’t see how they can argue. Safe is safe.

davidsapp

Sep 7, 2019
Is this the Hamilton County/Cincinnati parks hunt? If so, I was drawn on this circa 2006/7 when I was living in Cincinnati

The parks group were a particular bunch, and into rules. I remember qualifying for the hunt, 4 out of 5 shots on a paper plate at maybe 30 yards. I did so with a longbow and I remember a guy writing down the exact longbow I used to qualify as they required you to hunt with your qualifying weapon. Seemed a bit much to me, but this has great potential as a hunt. I wound up being out of town a lot that fall and never hunted, but wish I had been able to.

Anyway, a long winded, slightly off topic, rabbit trail of a story just to say, the rangers seemed to enjoy sticking to the straight and narrow

Good luck, I think you have a good argument re saddle safety

David

Kmarks

Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, one is Hamilton Co. The other is in Dayton. I sent emails with Youtube videos of an overview of saddle hunting and the TMA tests that Tethrd did.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wasp

Jun 28, 2019
Huntersville NC
Technically you could say a predator or diy predator could be considered your stand and wild edge steps or sticks as your ladder. I would just tell them your saddle is just a really safe safety harness.

Reactions: Halon6 and b73

sdonx

SH Member
Jan 30, 2018
SE MASS
Technically you could say a predator or diy predator could be considered your stand and wild edge steps or sticks as your ladder. I would just tell them your saddle is just a really safe safety harness.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cript2014 and b73

Bdg848

Nov 24, 2018
Whats the saying? Forgiveness vs permission? Unless its specifically mentioned....I wouldn't say anything.