• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer Wearing Orange Vest??

ricky racer

This was on our local news....

Dont they know we would all be much more appreciative if they would just paint a blaze orange spot right behind the front shoulder about the size of a half dollar.

Didn't read or watch the link, but I know of 2 separate instances where deer got an orange hat (with the top cut out to make a blaze necklace). They were still wild, but their moms had gotten hit by cars and just happened to stick around by the nearby houses. The hats got them through their first rifle season. The male known as Darrell took off the following spring. And Lafawnda hung out till spring after being run off for a week or so during December when she went into heat. Had her own fawn and moved on

In the 90s around Tomahawk area there was a doe with blaze orange. I never saw her myself but my coworkers would talk about sightings. I hunted closer to Rhinelander.

Someones pet that has lost its fear of man. Not much of a trophy, not a deer I would want to shoot but I am sure someone will.

I had a family member raise a wild one he found. I remeber giving it a bottle of cows milk. Later had an orange collar on her. She roamed the old farm for 5-6 years I think. He would put some extra feed out when he fed the animals. Most evenings she would wonder in and have a snack. She would bring her little ones with her. She knew him and he could still pet her. But she didn't want anything to do with anyone else. It was pretty neat to watch.

I have some friends who have a dairy farm. One day a fawn just showed up and went through the milk barn with the cows. This continued for several months. Right before deer season they put an orange collar on the deer and sternly warned hunters they let hunt their property that this deer was off limits. This deer stayed around the farm and milk barn for years.

Back