• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Delta Link Question

muzzyman88

I was using a run of the mill stainless oval link from the hardware store for a while, but it was bigger than needed, I think it was a 10mm size. I decided to go to a delta link as that seems to be what everyone recommends. I ordered a climbing rated one by CAMP off Amazon and got it today. It is a 8MM stainless. Tied it up on a Scaffold then went into the backyard to put some weight into it at ground level to really seat the knot, etc.

Something I noticed. When all of my weight is on the rope, I can't unscrew the quick link. Of course I would never be doing that in the air.. haha. I screwed the thing as tight as I could with fingers. Is that normal. I'm also not overly thrilled the CAMP link is made in China. I'm kind of wondering if I should go with a heavier one now or go back to my heaver hardware store oval.

Just trying to ensure i'm as safe as I can be here. Whats everyone's thoughts?

I would never use one from a hardware store again. I might be paranoid, but I would expect less quality testing of those. Also, they might not even be a strong steel, unless they specified (might be a mild steel).

The Camp one is probably fine. I use stainless ones made in France. This is my favorite. I used 8 mm in the past also. But for only a little more weight the 9 mm is stronger and your rope doesn't bend around it as sharply (which is good). The 10 mm jumps up to a much bigger size and I wouldn't use it, but the 8 and 9 are similar.

I've never tried to unscrew a screw link when weighted, but what you experienced is probably normal. I use aluminum carabiners that are screw lock and unscrewing them when weighted (like to snap in a backband) is harder than when unweighted.

Also, if you screw them down tight when weighted then they feel different when unscrewing them when unweighted.

My link it easy to screw/unscrew when it's not loaded and noticeably more resistance unscrewing when loaded...I'll go out on a limb and say that is normal

I would never use one from a hardware store again. I might be paranoid, but I would expect less quality testing of those. Also, they might not even be a strong steel, unless they specified (might be a mild steel).

The Camp one is probably fine. I use stainless ones made in France. This is my favorite. I used 8 mm in the past also. But for only a little more weight the 9 mm is stronger and your rope doesn't bend around it as sharply (which is good). The 10 mm jumps up to a much bigger size and I wouldn't use it, but the 8 and 9 are similar.

I've never tried to unscrew a screw link when weighted, but what you experienced is probably normal. I use aluminum carabiners that are screw lock and unscrewing them when weighted (like to snap in a backband) is harder than when unweighted.

Also, if you screw them down tight when weighted then they feel different when unscrewing them when unweighted.

thanks for the quick reply. I was a bit freaked out by the "flex" in the CAMP when loaded and trying to unscrew it. I think i might just order the one you're showing here and be done with it. That and I'm ditching this bloody Canyon ci-v rope for canyon elite. The ci-v is a knotting, twisting mess.

Just some tuff love from a hunting brother… I would never trust my life with anything from Amazon or China! Amazon is great about returns. I would send that sucker back. I am frugal… even cheep at times, but not when it comes to life support. Then I open my wallet and buy the best that money can buy. Be safe and good luck this year!

Just some tuff love from a hunting brother… I would never trust my life with anything from Amazon or China! Amazon is great about returns. I would send that sucker back. I am frugal… even cheep at times, but not when it comes to life support. Then I open my wallet and buy the best that money can buy. Be safe and good luck this year!

I hear ya man. I looked up this brand, CAMP, and never saw anything bad about them. I didn't realize it was made in China however till it showed up today. It wasn't like it was cheap, think it was 12-15 bucks, about the same as the others. F that, its going back and I'll order a Kong from EWO and be done with it.

I use a bunch of different things but I like the 6mm delta link way better than 8mm stuff...

Screenshot_20210901-061816_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210901-061816_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220902-211248_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902-211248_Gallery.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 28
Back