• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Delta Link / Scaffold orientation question

muzzyman88

I have a perhaps a dumb question, but it sure nags the heck of out me.

I use a delta link with a scaffold knot. I've repelled probably a dozen times, practicing for the upcoming season on this rig. That scaffold is stupid tight now and rock hard. No worries there. One thing I've noticed is that that delta wants to roll on the tree once i'm at height or hanging off the rope. It rolls top forward, to me and just looks odd. I notice that if I position the knot at the top left corner of the triangle, it doesn't do that. But it eventually works its way to the bottom left of the traingle.

I don't think its a big deal, just wanted to ask everyone's thoughts. Is that normal or anything to be concerned about?

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. The knot will walk down the link a bit as you shift around on the tree as it has room to slide and the top will pull away from the tree a bit but the link shouldn’t walk down the tree. If it bugs you enough you could either wrap the link or switch to an oval link.

Just make sure it's tight and stays tight. Move it around to much it could potentially start to work free.

Just make sure it's tight and stays tight. Move it around to much it could potentially start to work free.

Its so tight around the delta that it really is hard to slide up or down. I just leave it be. I realize these links are meant for side loading, etc. It just annoys me... haha.

One thing to keep in mind with the oval. Be sure to pass the rope through it with the opening up so that the closing threaded sleeve is away from the tree. Twice I've spent 15 extra minutes trying to loosen the link after dark when I inadvertently had it oriented toward the tree and the pressure on it tightened it a bit more than finger tight. Of course I don't carry anything resembling a wrench with me. I was at the point one time of almost leaving it and coming back for it later.

I don't understand why the delta over the oval?

Theoretically, it would be easier for a loosely tied scaffold to slip over the oval than with the delta.

[mention]raisins [/mention] explains it way better than I could.

See post #11 from the below thread.

One thing to keep in mind with the oval. Be sure to pass the rope through it with the opening up so that the closing threaded sleeve is away from the tree. Twice I've spent 15 extra minutes trying to loosen the link after dark when I inadvertently had it oriented toward the tree and the pressure on it tightened it a bit more than finger tight. Of course I don't carry anything resembling a wrench with me. I was at the point one time of almost leaving it and coming back for it later.

That's why I'm willing to lug the extra weight of a Leatherman in my kit. I've also had screw lock carabiners ice up to the point they wouldn't unscrew by hand.

Back