• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Delta link vs regular quick link for rappel

I assume you're talking about for the girth hitch around a tree on a rappel rope.

Delta shape is advantageous if you're worried about a scaffold/poachers knot sliding up over the end of an oval link and allowing it to slip. The widening size of the delta would discourage that.

If you tied, dressed & tightened your knot correctly, it shouldn't make a difference. At that point, oval vs delta comes down to availability & personal preference.

If you compare the 9 mm oval and 9 mm delta link weights, they aren't that far off.

If your knot is good either will do. I use a pear shape because it can’t swallow the knot, rope stays in the center and does not wander into a corner like a delta, and it holds a bungee ball.BA564493-1BCB-470D-83D1-80242C9A6A3D.jpeg

Is there a special way to tie in the triangle to avoid it from making a hard pendulum when using rappel rope as a tether? I cant seem to move a foot around the tree without it wanting to swing me back pretty hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the solution there is to use a second tether as a positioning aid. NY Saddle Hunter has a video about this, specifically addressing leaning trees.

Try a Quickie from Singing Tree that you can pick from Treestuff.com, Bartlett Arborist Supply to name a few sources. The spinning slick pin reduces rope friction for retrieval.

Back