• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Delta QLs

Spartan

I gotta ask... Why are so many people choosing the Deltas over the standard oval quick links to girth hitch their rope tether to a tree? Bigger/bulkier, heavier, more expensive. I just can't wrap my head around it. What am I missing?

I gotta ask... Why are so many people choosing the Deltas over the standard oval quick links to girth hitch their rope tether to a tree? Bigger/bulkier, heavier, more expensive. I just can't wrap my head around it. What am I missing?
I have toyed with using ovals (and have a few). I use a scaffold knot to tie my rope to the quick link and like the delta for extra width. I have a fear that the oval could pull inside the scaffold knot which could make it untie. The delta can't have that happen, the oval might in some 1 in a million scenario.

I own both and I'm currently using the oval due to it's weight and size. However, I think the delta is easier to retrieve.

I have an oval, but remember reading a theory that a delta is harder to pull through a slipping/incorrectly tied knot than an oval. I have no idea if that's actually true and hope to never test it.

I have an oval, but remember reading a theory that a delta is harder to pull through a slipping/incorrectly tied knot than an oval. I have no idea if that's actually true and hope to never test it.

i was propagating that, no idea if anyone else independently came up with it

the theory is: tie a scaffold/poacher's knot around paracord and pull....knot unties instantly because it pulls the paracord inside itself (blocking the bight disappearing into the knot is what keeps it tied)....do the same around a broomstick and it can't untie....some of the smaller ovals are too much like the paracord for my taste....also thing about scaffold knots is that the wrap that prevent this don't seem like the first thing to get tight on the knot, so it isn't totally like a chinese finger trap (where the harder you try to do something the more resistance you encounter)

so, i might be wrong in all this, but i feel better about it in the tree.

edit: an easy way around this is to connect the quick link to a figure 8 on a bight and then figure out a way to keep the quick link on the rope so it can't fall off while climbing and making a move......wrapping the rope and then the quick link with a ranger band works

Last edited:
....edit: an easy way around this is to connect the quick link to a figure 8 on a bight and then figure out a way to keep the quick link on the rope so it can't fall off while climbing and making a move......wrapping the rope and then the quick link with a ranger band works

That's basically what I've been doing (unless I have a sewn eye on the end like in the pic). The figure 8 lays flatter against the tree and is less likely to want to ride down, IMO, so I prefer that to the scaffold.

Back