• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

descenting rubber boots

uncle ricky

i've got a pair of la crosse boots that i've had and user for two or three years and they still smell like .....well, rubber. i've washed in baking soda, wiped 'em with alcohol, let them sit in the sun for a week, rubbed them with rabbit and deer droppings, sprayed them with scent clearing products. ect, ect. still smell like, you know...............rubber, any one got any ideas?? i still manage to take a few deer every year but i hate that my boots smell like RUBBER

Last edited:
Lol mine smell like rubber too but I still kill deer with them. The deer may not be spooked by rubber as much as other odors...

Ever since Burlys have been made in China, the odor of the release agent is much more noticeable. I've never had the smell last through the first season of use, though. I do hunt pretty regular over our entire 3 month season. I normally get 2 years as a hunting boot and if I'm lucky 1 year as a chore boot, out of Burly's. The rubber odor is an aggravation, but since I like to hunt with dry feet, it's not a deal killer for me. I try not to cross entry trails and always hunt the wind and thermals. IMO the deer will smell me before they smell the factory odor of the boot, so I don't fret over it.

Not sure it matters, but then again, deer are individuals and they make decisions about what they fear from day to day, so I always try to reduce any odor.
When I walk thru the boot department at stores, the 1st thing I do is sniff the soles. Some stink, some don't. I don't buy the ones that stink. As I said, not sure it matters, but why dismiss it?

The only way to get it off is to wear them... A lot. Eventually it’ll go away.

I always buy my granges in the winter. Wear them shed hunting and scouting. In spring and summer wear them for running trail cams. By the time season gets here they don’t smell a bit.

Last edited:
Hopefully you live out side the city. Pound two sticks or 2x4’s in the ground and put them upside down on the sticks till season Tree sap, pollen and rain should take care of it

Back