• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dialed in with RADS/YoYo for SRT

kyler1945

SH Member
I am in the middle of a move and pulled all my gear out, and decided to be early getting everything ready this year. Well, and I decided i'm tired of carrying sticks so I went ahead and got all my rope gear.

I'm not going to lie i'm pretty disappointed I didn't get into this sooner. It's simple, fast and quiet.

The only thing I see being a time sucker/pain in the rear, is getting throw line up and over my choice of branch in the dark. i'll be practing throwing a few times a week. I was pretty surprised at how accurate I was with the between the legs toss though.

Any tips or tricks?

I am in the middle of a move and pulled all my gear out, and decided to be early getting everything ready this year. Well, and I decided i'm tired of carrying sticks so I went ahead and got all my rope gear.

I'm not going to lie i'm pretty disappointed I didn't get into this sooner. It's simple, fast and quiet.

The only thing I see being a time sucker/pain in the rear, is getting throw line up and over my choice of branch in the dark. i'll be practing throwing a few times a week. I was pretty surprised at how accurate I was with the between the legs toss though.

Any tips or tricks?

I'm with you there, pretty sweet setup, fun to climb too! The only thing that I'm hoping to do is to leave some 550 cord already setup on a few of the trees that I want to hunt, so that I can quickly and quietly get in there and to hunting height pretty quick, this would alleviate the need to throw a bag and line in the dark when you want to be quiet. Which is my only big concern at this point, is how well can I do it in the dark when I need to be really quiet.

You could also just leave your rope in the tree, but if you're like me you don't wanna leave your nice climbing rope exposed to the elements and UV, then 550 cord will do the trick.

I was thinking of picking up some of this: http://newtribe.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=58

Cheaper than paracord and smaller too. Haven't done so yet though.

If you're throwing one handed, tie an overhand knot about 2 feet (or however far you want) from your throw bag. When you practice, you hold the knot, so you have more consistent throws, eliminating one of the many variables involved.

My only other advice... Set an inconspicuous line in advance. Throwing in the dark sucks. I've done it successfully, but I've also screwed it up in broad daylight. You don't want to be untangling throw line as dawn approaches.

I agree with @boone0. I would plan on having most of your trees setup with a line in advance. I haven't even attempted it in the dark and I've struggled to get it where I want it during the day. This is super frustrating when you're trying to hunt.

The other big thing I have found with this method is that I can do it very easily at home in my backyard, but when hunting where I have more gear, or it is colder and I have more clothes, everything gets harder. So my advice would be to practice, practice, practice.

Back