• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Did a little knapping

What does that black head weight and what is the material? It doesnt look quite like obsidian to me.

One is black obsidian and the other black one is dacite( close obsidian relative). I haven't weighed them yet but I'd guess that they are around 125 gr. The large grey one is too big for an arrow but would be a good atlatl point.

I plan on putting some stone through a deer this fall. I just ordered a dozen 5/16" hickory shafts from Mike Yancey at Pine Hollow Longbows. Great guy!

I agree Mike is a fine fellow. I played with some 11/32 hickories years ago planning to make some serious hog arrows. Didnt exactly have a target weight but missed badly anyway lol. Finished arrows with 125 snuffers were 915 grains. Had a heck of a time getting them straight'ish. Ended up putting some zwickey's on them and used them for snow goose arrows for a few hunts. They lobbed in really well when accuracy wasnt the goal.

Ryan Gill on Hunt Primitive has some very interesting videos on using stone points, I think his points are very small like 40-50 grains most of the time. I think his explanation is that there is so much more resistance to stone than steel that he needs a very small sharp head to get penetration.

Last edited:
Ryan Gill on Hunt Primitive has some very interesting videos on using stone points, I think his points are very small like 40-50 grains most of the time. I think his explanation is that there is so much more resistance to stone than steel that he needs a very small sharp head to get penetration.
Yes he is a master knapper for sure.

DUDE ! That is awesome. I hope you are able to harvest some deer this fall with it. I'd love to do that kind of stuff, maybe one day when i dont have 4 kids that need to go to sports all over the state.

I've seen a guy somewhere on Insta that brings a bucket with his stuff and knaps while he watches.

I'm not that organized...lol.

Back