• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Didn’t Take Long

Sticknstring88

Had a crazy hunt last Saturday night and ended up taking a yearling doe with my longbow on a new property. The evening got off to a strange start when I pulled into my parking spot. I started stringing my bow and heard an atv coming. It was another hunter who also has permission on the property. He said he had been driving all over checking the straps on all 8 of his ladder stands. He asked where I planned to sit which I vaguely explained then he proceeded to mention that he still had a couple stands to check and would have to drive right through the middle of the property to get back to where his truck was parked. He said he would make it quick though.

I shrugged it off as the deer in my ag heavy area are fairly accustomed to tractors and ATV. From looking on the topo I knew there was a ridge that leads to a fence crossing onto the neighbors who don’t allow any hunting. With him disturbing the whole property I figured it would make a likely escape route or that something might come back through once he left and things calmed down. I made my way in and picked out a tree about 8” in diameter which happened to be about 30 yards from one of his ladder stands. There weren’t any pronounced trails but it was obvious that it was the easiest place to walk down the ridge which has all kinds of scrubby invasive brush and briars. I climbed the tree and set my ring of steps (could hear his atv cutting back through the main bedding area) and tethered in. As soon I as connected my carabiner to my bridge I glanced over to see a deer standing not 20 yards away coming from the direction I head the atv.

After a brief staring contest the deer looked back behind it seemingly worried about the atv commotion. I thought I was busted anyway so thought I would just go ahead and pull my bow up. To my surprise the deer watched me pull the bow up swing the bow over the top of my tether and nock an arrow. I avoided looking at the deer trying to not make eye contact.

When I turned my head towards the deer it had walked behind a tree so I awkwardly got into shooting position which was hard with both the tether and linesman belt connected. After about 5 seconds it took 3 or 4 steps out from behind the tree and presented a 23 yard broadside shot. I quickly drew, picked a spot and released my 1916 Easton aluminum arrow tipped with a 175 single bevel grizzly broadhead from my 41# hybrid longbow. When the arrow hit the deer I could hear it go through the ribs and chest cavity. The arrow passed through cleanly and stuck 4” into the ground.

The deer just bounded off slowly not even realizing what had happened. When I got down to check for blood I found my arrow but zero blood trail so decided to back out for the evening worried I might have push her if the hit wasn’t as good as I thought. In the morning I started a grid search and found her only 50 yards from the shot sight. Not exactly how I drew it up, but sometimes you have to just to make the most of not so ideal situations.
0e4c4f5a70bfb27fc2d1fedc83d860c6.jpg

c9bbcd70b6e0afe0b80aafd36f29623e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job! Sometimes you hit em perfect and they just don’t bleed. They aren’t hard to find when they go down quick though

Congrats!
Looks like you hit liver and possibly the back of the lungs. They may take a bit longer to die with a liver hit but they don't go far either, especially if you don't push them. Great call backing out and giving her some time.

Great story. Perseverance pays off. The saddle made all the difference I'm sure. What saddle are you using this year?

Back