• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Difficult terrain deer hauling

Saddlr

What hauling method has worked best for you in difficult terrain?
Not counting quatering :)

I've used a come along and a hand battery powered winch (combined with a jet sled) on separate occassions to get bucks out of a ravine. They always seem to run into the deepest ravine to die....

The Jet Sled and I use backpack straps so that i can use my body weight walking forward instead of arms and grip strength. Also have a four wheel cart for help if there are a lot of logs and debris to go over. The cart saved my bacon last year since I shot the buck and doe he was with. That spot is boat access only. Picture is both deer and cart on the casting deck.

Attachments

• 8233CD47-8049-4097-BED4-CD2F5B7525BC.jpeg
    8233CD47-8049-4097-BED4-CD2F5B7525BC.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 2BD68B81-2063-4213-AD06-C7D01207EF0B.jpeg
    2BD68B81-2063-4213-AD06-C7D01207EF0B.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 115
I've used a come along and a hand battery powered winch (combined with a jet sled) on separate occassions to get bucks out of a ravine. They always seem to run into the deepest ravine to die....
They always run downhill, toward water and toward the gnarliest thicket you can find. You’ve never cursed at nature until you are dragging a deer up a 30 degree grade, through big old gnarly purple briars, grabbing sapplings to hold onto while you drag yourself and the deer up a hill...

This is only for areas with almost no ticks. You can somehow after gutting get a deers hind legs through the big tendon on the front legs and turn the whole deer into a sort of backpack. I have not done it but seen pics from friends hunting in the Adirondacks. That is how they get a deer out of the nasty thick woods and blowdown to the closest logging road.
There has ti be a YouTube video on that technique. It also is best to not try to pick the deer up from the ground but some elevated position.

The Jet Sled and I use backpack straps so that i can use my body weight walking forward instead of arms and grip strength. Also have a four wheel cart for help if there are a lot of logs and debris to go over. The cart saved my bacon last year since I shot the buck and doe he was with. That spot is boat access only. Picture is both deer and cart on the casting deck.
I have that cart. Hawke crawler....right? It's a beast

Are you not allowed to quarter where you are? I don’t believe you can beat packing out of its legal for you... or if it’s illegal, haha

Spencer

Plastic Ice fishing sled per J.E. on the mini van death machine YouTube video he did with the tethered guys. Wheels don't hang up and goes over logs easier. I believe he also had a pulley or come along if needed.

Are you not allowed to quarter where you are? I don’t believe you can beat packing out of its legal for you... or if it’s illegal, haha

Spencer
I'm in Ohio. Not sure quartering is legal...need to check. I prefer it this way...unless it's a big buck :)

Ravine situation sounds perfect for this equipment, when solo hunting :)

Whatever you do have a plan. I shot one in AR a mile from the truck on the backside of a mountain. It wasn’t until we found him that we went “uhhh how are we getting back.” Thank goodness we were young but my roommate and I drug him the whole way. Tanned his back hip from the drag. Never went to that WMA again without a way to pack one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Missouri and the question of quartering came up. Thought you might want to check like I did for those of you that say it’s not legal. Missouri doesn’t allow quartering out-EXCEPT- that it may be done if you telecheck your deer in before quartering and you have confirmation number and proof of sex while removing. THIS ISN’T IN THE REGULATIONS. I HAD TO TALK WITH THEM TO FIND OUT. I know sometimes that may not be possible if your in an area with no phone service but just thought I’d mention.

I think anyone who lives in a place where cutting deer up where they are, and packing them out is illegal, should be doing their part to get legislation done to change that.

It's hilarious to me that for the 200,000 years sapiens have been chasing critters, they've done just fine with us cutting them up where they die. But all of a sudden in the last 50 years, somehow it's become a bad idea?

Oh you don't like seeing a carcass in the woods? Maybe killing animals is not the hobby for you...

Think it will poison water or food sources? Sure it could, but look at where herd endangering diseases are cropping up - where we consolidate more deer than a food or water source can naturally sustain. Think its an accident diseases kick in with overpopulation? You clearly don't understand evolution. If a deer comes across a dead deer in the woods, what does it do? Moves on. Sure, if your deer dies in the creek/pond/bait pile/under feed tree maybe drag it 50 yards before chopping it up. But to think that taking a deer from it's natural environment will make things better is exactly why we have the problems we do.

People will waste meat if they can take what they want and leave the rest! Clearly you haven't visited people's trash cans, landfills, and the side of the road... People are wasteful jerks, moreso in wealthy cultures.

If you like to kill deer for fun and food, you'd be wise to make an effort to have laws like this changed, or at the very least, require of your lawmakers that they give ample evidence that the rules benefit deer and their hunters. You'd be surprised what a few persistent hunters can get done at the local level.

I have no advice on how to get deer out whole. It sucks, and I just find another place to hunt.

I think anyone who lives in a place where cutting deer up where they are, and packing them out is illegal, should be doing their part to get legislation done to change that.

It's hilarious to me that for the 200,000 years sapiens have been chasing critters, they've done just fine with us cutting them up where they die. But all of a sudden in the last 50 years, somehow it's become a bad idea?

Oh you don't like seeing a carcass in the woods? Maybe killing animals is not the hobby for you...

Think it will poison water or food sources? Sure it could, but look at where herd endangering diseases are cropping up - where we consolidate more deer than a food or water source can naturally sustain. Think its an accident diseases kick in with overpopulation? You clearly don't understand evolution. If a deer comes across a dead deer in the woods, what does it do? Moves on. Sure, if your deer dies in the creek/pond/bait pile/under feed tree maybe drag it 50 yards before chopping it up. But to think that taking a deer from it's natural environment will make things better is exactly why we have the problems we do.

People will waste meat if they can take what they want and leave the rest! Clearly you haven't visited people's trash cans, landfills, and the side of the road... People are wasteful jerks, moreso in wealthy cultures.

If you like to kill deer for fun and food, you'd be wise to make an effort to have laws like this changed, or at the very least, require of your lawmakers that they give ample evidence that the rules benefit deer and their hunters. You'd be surprised what a few persistent hunters can get done at the local level.

I have no advice on how to get deer out whole. It sucks, and I just find another place to hunt.

The reason some states haven’t allowed quartering is because of poaching. It’s very easy to swap out meat from a previously killed animal. When I hunted pronghorn in Wyoming the guide wanted us to keep the genitals on the animal until it was processed to prove the sex of the animal that was tagged.

Whatever you do have a plan. I shot one in AR a mile from the truck on the backside of a mountain. It wasn’t until we found him that we went “uhhh how are we getting back.” Thank goodness we were young but my roommate and I drug him the whole way. Tanned his back hip from the drag. Never went to that WMA again without a way to pack one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 10 years back, my friend called me when I was hunting. He is a couple of years younger than me but very overweight and out of shape. He let me know that he was in a pickle as his buck he shot went down a 100 foot ravine. It was so steep that while we could walk up it, we had to use both hands while crab walking up the ravine. There was a way that was better, but me being a Marine I thought that the best way out was UP. I was about 50 miles from him so on the way I went home and grabbed my deer come a long. It was a pulley system that would stop the deer from sliding down, but the rope was only 30'. We get to the deer and he tells me that there is about a mile a path that would take us back to the path we are on now but it's still a mile with logs and large rocks on the path. Screw it...I went down that ravine on my butt and dragged the deer up the ravine by going 30' feet up, setting the pulley and pulling the rope down to the bucks antlers. Tied the rope to the antlers and then the two of us pulling the deer up. We then tied the deer to that sapling or tree, or log or whatever we could tie it to so that it wouldn't slide down. About 2 hours later of "rinse and repeat" we got the deer up the ravine to where I had my cart. Remember when I stated that the path we were on was full of logs and ankle breaking rocks...well it took us longer to get the deer to the truck on the path. I finally said screw this and went to the side of the path where there was just smaller rocks and ragweed. It was rough...in fact Dave gave me the deer because he didn't want to mess with it anymore.

With that said...if I'm ever in that situation...I will call in the deer, get my confirmation number and then I'll break down that deer and put it in my pack. I'm not going to kill myself getting a deer out of a deep ravine. Look up copper head hollow in Illinois...some of the deepest ravines I've been in. The road going down to the hunting or parking lots are about 500' up and goes down to with the hunting areas on one side of the road...that hunting area would kill someone trying to get a deer out by dragging it.

About 10 years back, my friend called me when I was hunting. He is a couple of years younger than me but very overweight and out of shape. He let me know that he was in a pickle as his buck he shot went down a 100 foot ravine. It was so steep that while we could walk up it, we had to use both hands while crab walking up the ravine. There was a way that was better, but me being a Marine I thought that the best way out was UP. I was about 50 miles from him so on the way I went home and grabbed my deer come a long. It was a pulley system that would stop the deer from sliding down, but the rope was only 30'. We get to the deer and he tells me that there is about a mile a path that would take us back to the path we are on now but it's still a mile with logs and large rocks on the path. Screw it...I went down that ravine on my butt and dragged the deer up the ravine by going 30' feet up, setting the pulley and pulling the rope down to the bucks antlers. Tied the rope to the antlers and then the two of us pulling the deer up. We then tied the deer to that sapling or tree, or log or whatever we could tie it to so that it wouldn't slide down. About 2 hours later of "rinse and repeat" we got the deer up the ravine to where I had my cart. Remember when I stated that the path we were on was full of logs and ankle breaking rocks...well it took us longer to get the deer to the truck on the path. I finally said screw this and went to the side of the path where there was just smaller rocks and ragweed. It was rough...in fact Dave gave me the deer because he didn't want to mess with it anymore.

With that said...if I'm ever in that situation...I will call in the deer, get my confirmation number and then I'll break down that deer and put it in my pack. I'm not going to kill myself getting a deer out of a deep ravine. Look up copper head hollow in Illinois...some of the deepest ravines I've been in. The road going down to the hunting or parking lots are about 500' up and goes down to with the hunting areas on one side of the road...that hunting area would kill someone trying to get a deer out by dragging it.

You mentioned Illinois. I thought it said packing out was not legal there. More power to you if you do it, I agree you should be able to. But can you confirm the legality if you know for certain?

Spencer

You mentioned Illinois. I thought it said packing out was not legal there. More power to you if you do it, I agree you should be able to. But can you confirm the legality if you know for certain?

Spencer

If I call it in and have the confirmation # and the tag is attached to the head as required then what I do with the rest of the animal is none of the states concern. I will also leave the sex attached to it but what I'm not going to kill myself as I'm almost a mile in on public ground. I have yet to see a DNR agent on the island I hunt...now on Copper head hollow...I'll abide by the state and private ground rules as the that land is a trust land and the trust does not want animal parts laying around. I do all my own processing and will take out the cape, head, antlers, sex of the animal and the meat. I will not take out the bones if I don't have to.

Back