• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Disaster of a weekend hunt

MNFarmHunter

If it could go wrong, it did go wrong this weekend. To be honest though, I take everything as learning experiences so I cannot really say it was a disaster but it was miserable.

Friday:
Forecast was for 1-2 hours of rain then dry conditions. Instead, it stopped raining just long enough for me climb a tree before the real downpour started. I also just barely climbed the tree, more on that below.

Saturday:
Morning fog was so thick you couldn't see 5 feet and didn't burn off until after 10. With the morning a bust, I went to drive to town and found my car battery dead...with the car nosed into the far corner of the non-electrified barn. Ended up walking a mile to a neighbor and were able to jump the car by connecting 2 jumper cables together to make it long enough.

Saturday night though was perfect. Had a family of coons mill around my area doing raccoon things. Had 2 small doe walk by at 30 yards before the second one busted me. She snorted and stomped her feet but I kept motionless. Over the next 30 minutes, she moved within 20 yards, snorting, stomping, feeding and generally annoyed that I was there but wasn't threatened. Eventually, she got bored and walked off. Too small to kill right now but in a month and not wanting to eat tag soup...

Sunday:
Woke up to a perfect morning on what looked like a great day to hunt. Reached over to grab a bottle of water and holy hell my wrist hurt. Not sure if I slept on it wrong or did something climbing but I can still only barely bend it without it hurting. Taking this as a final sign, I packed up and headed home. Next trip in 2 weeks.

Lessons learned:
1. DO NOT climb 2TC on a wet tree trunk without a double foot loop. I can climb 2TC in my sleep but that wet trunk was slick and no matter what I did, my foot would keep slipping off.
2. Dumb, cocky mistake on my part but always check everything before you head out. I was in such a rush to get out Friday evening that I forgot my kneepads and also forgot to change my glasses. Fun fact: Wearing progressive lenses at height means everything on the ground like deer will be blurry.
3. Muddy LCD gamecam viewer. This works fine for quick checks of SD cards but do not erase a card with it. I bricked the SD card but luckily had a spare so my cam is still working while I'm gone.
4. Bring a jump pack or at least back into the barn in case I need to jump the car again.
5. I'm sure I'm forgetting things but this is a start.

If it could go wrong, it did go wrong this weekend. To be honest though, I take everything as learning experiences so I cannot really say it was a disaster but it was miserable.

Friday:
Forecast was for 1-2 hours of rain then dry conditions. Instead, it stopped raining just long enough for me climb a tree before the real downpour started. I also just barely climbed the tree, more on that below.

Saturday:
Morning fog was so thick you couldn't see 5 feet and didn't burn off until after 10. With the morning a bust, I went to drive to town and found my car battery dead...with the car nosed into the far corner of the non-electrified barn. Ended up walking a mile to a neighbor and were able to jump the car by connecting 2 jumper cables together to make it long enough.

Saturday night though was perfect. Had a family of coons mill around my area doing raccoon things. Had 2 small doe walk by at 30 yards before the second one busted me. She snorted and stomped her feet but I kept motionless. Over the next 30 minutes, she moved within 20 yards, snorting, stomping, feeding and generally annoyed that I was there but wasn't threatened. Eventually, she got bored and walked off. Too small to kill right now but in a month and not wanting to eat tag soup...

Sunday:
Woke up to a perfect morning on what looked like a great day to hunt. Reached over to grab a bottle of water and holy hell my wrist hurt. Not sure if I slept on it wrong or did something climbing but I can still only barely bend it without it hurting. Taking this as a final sign, I packed up and headed home. Next trip in 2 weeks.

Lessons learned:
1. DO NOT climb 2TC on a wet tree trunk without a double foot loop. I can climb 2TC in my sleep but that wet trunk was slick and no matter what I did, my foot would keep slipping off.
2. Dumb, cocky mistake on my part but always check everything before you head out. I was in such a rush to get out Friday evening that I forgot my kneepads and also forgot to change my glasses. Fun fact: Wearing progressive lenses at height means everything on the ground like deer will be blurry.
3. Muddy LCD gamecam viewer. This works fine for quick checks of SD cards but do not erase a card with it. I bricked the SD card but luckily had a spare so my cam is still working while I'm gone.
4. Bring a jump pack or at least back into the barn in case I need to jump the car again.
5. I'm sure I'm forgetting things but this is a start.
You can always quit and join this forum. I’m sure it’s just as exciting.

Man, it stinks to have that much stuff go wrong. You have a good attitude to all of it though. The only thing I would have done differently is that blowing and stomping doe would have gotten an arrow at 20 yards had it been me. Big or small, if they blow, they gotta go, lol.

Back