• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Distance between steps

PaTrout1

So either I'm just old and lost my flexibility or I'm doing something wrong, I see all of the modded sticks and steps that have very big distances between steps. No matter what I do I cant step past 16". How is everyone managing 18" + between steps without an aider?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The real questions how are they managing it safely! I'm 6"2 and dont like my steps more than 12-16 inches apart! Especially in the bulk of winter clothes in the dark!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think a lot of it is also hip/glute flexibility. I’m 5’4” but can do a 22” or so step. But I’m fairly flexible. But I do get the safety factor involved. Or lack of at times. The tip of my foot and muddy boots, etc.

Only thing I sould think of is height difference( me being 5'7") but if you 6'2" and cant do it then I am at a loss other than age. But like you asked, doing it? Doing safely? Two different things.
I'm 6' and 16" is about my limit with a linemans belt on at a safe distance

Only thing I sould think of is height difference( me being 5'7") but if you 6'2" and cant do it then I am at a loss other than age. But like you asked, doing it? Doing safely? Two different things.
I can do it, but won't anymore! I grew up hunting permanent wooden stands that were hung by men with sasquatch length legs, using cotton picker spendles driven into trees for steps! Of course no safety harnesses were used much less thought of back then. Had one too many "oh CRAP!!" moments on cold wet mornings in those death traps! As soon as a better way was found I used it! Not goin backwards now LOL! Not just to save a pound or two.

I can do it, but won't anymore! I grew up hunting permanent wooden stands that were hung by men with sasquatch length legs, using cotton picker spendles driven into trees for steps! Of course no safety harnesses were used much less thought of back then. Had one too many "oh CRAP!!" moments on cold wet mornings in those death traps! As soon as a better way was found I used it! Not goin backwards now LOL! Not just to save a pound or two.

The oe thing I've noticed since being on here is the absolute obsession with saving an ounce here or there. At some point you're going to sacrifice safety or strength of equipment for an imperceptible amount of weight.

The oe thing I've noticed since being on here is the absolute obsession with saving an ounce here or there. At some point you're going to sacrifice safety or strength of equipment for an imperceptible amount of weight.

Couldnt agree more! Not judging anyone here, but shaving a few ounces off the ol' dad bod will save a man more money and effort than any one thing that can be bought. I speak from experiance to be sure and the differences between 300lbs last season and 230lbs this season cant even be described!

I think a lot of it is also hip/glute flexibility. I’m 5’4” but can do a 22” or so step. But I’m fairly flexible. But I do get the safety factor involved. Or lack of at times. The tip of my foot and muddy boots, etc.
I’m 5’7” and have been doing martial arts for 27 years. I’m very very flexible for a Hobbit, and can kick above the heads of my 6’+ students. But I have to say a prayer before stepping 22” up with a LB and boots. I would never be comfortable with beast sticks or half the mods I see.

Couldnt agree more! Not judging anyone here, but shaving a few ounces off the ol' dad bod will save a man more money and effort than any one thing that can be bought. I speak from experiance to be sure and the differences between 300lbs last season and 230lbs this season cant even be described!

I’ve said the same thing with my road bicycle. I paid a good penny but these guys pay a couple grand more for the lightest bike that isn’t even 7lbs lighter. When most can stand to lose considerably more weight than that on their own body. But I’ll be honest that I sometimes go down the weight weenie rabbit hole and have to bring myself back to reality.

20-22” is a happy medium for me. I can step from the bottom of a lone wolf stick to the top but I feel like I’m putting stress in directions other than down like it is designed. Yes people push the limits to save weight but it’s not out of the question to say some guys are safer climbing with 24” step spacing than a less flexible,older, out of shape guy is at 16”.

I’m 5’7” and have been doing martial arts for 27 years. I’m very very flexible for a Hobbit, and can kick above the heads of my 6’+ students. But I have to say a prayer before stepping 22” up with a LB and boots. I would never be comfortable with beast sticks or half the mods I see.

Honestly I probably rely too much on upper body strength to pull myself up while pushing off my legs at same time. I was always a decent athlete for a small guy (gymnast, wrestling, powerlifting) and I still rely on a lot of that. But I’m getting old too. Haha

Honestly I probably rely too much on upper body strength to pull myself up while pushing off my legs at same time. I was always a decent athlete for a small guy (gymnast, wrestling, powerlifting) and I still rely on a lot of that. But I’m getting old too. Haha
I can see that. Pulling yourself up 22” is definitely different than relying on your actual stepping capabilities. I probably don’t use my upper body enough honestly.

Me too. Went from 245 to 220 and its unreal how much of difference its made

I’ve said the same thing with my road bicycle. I paid a good penny but these guys pay a couple grand more for the lightest bike that isn’t even 7lbs lighter. When most can stand to lose considerably more weight than that on their own body. But I’ll be honest that I sometimes go down the weight weenie rabbit hole and have to bring myself back to reality.
Back in my boy scout days we learned that ounces make pounds and pounds make heavy backpacks! Seems like some have taken that to the extreme in many different sports! I just refuse to sacrifice my well being while 20' in trees to shave a few ounces off pack weight!

16” is about the limit when I’m presetting a tree with screw-in steps. I’m about 5’10” but not very flexible, and when you’re wearing heavy clothing, insulated boots and a LB even that can be challenging.

Back in my boy scout days we learned that ounces make pounds and pounds make heavy backpacks! Seems like some have taken that to the extreme in many different sports! I just refuse to sacrifice my well being while 20' in trees to shave a few ounces off pack weight!

Yep. 4oz an extra four times is an extra pound. It adds up. But if I carry 2-3 extra lbs total with being safe or some creature comforts than so be it.

20-22” is a happy medium for me. I can step from the bottom of a lone wolf stick to the top but I feel like I’m putting stress in directions other than down like it is designed. Yes people push the limits to save weight but it’s not out of the question to say some guys are safer climbing with 24” step spacing than a less flexible,older, out of shape guy is at 16”.
I understand, and agree but even if you can step that high, how do you do it with a linemans belt on?

My objective is to keep three points of contact. Since I can comfortably reach About 72 inches, that means my spacing needs to be approximately 18 inches. If I come to a Y or a branch or a knot I will adjust closer rather than farther. My daughter can comfortably reach 68 inches, so her steps are spaced 17 inches. With years of safety training, I feel very uncomfortable if my steps are too far. So, in my opinion, measure how high you can comfortably reach and divide by four. That’s your number.

Me too. Went from 245 to 220 and its unreal how much of difference its made

Congrats my friend! May I ask what you have done to take off the weight?

Back