• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Distel or Autoblock loop for rappelling

cpayne07

I am using Oplux and 6mmTRC rope and was wondering if I should make a loop with double fisherman's knot and use an autoblock or just tie in 2 poachers knots and a distel for my backup for an ATC? I could not find anyone saying they use a distel for for this and i have not been able to test if it will release and control descent like the autoblock loop does.

I’d like to follow this for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using Oplux and 6mmTRC rope and was wondering if I should make a loop with double fisherman's knot and use an autoblock or just tie in 2 poachers knots and a distel for my backup for an ATC? I could not find anyone saying they use a distel for for this and i have not been able to test if it will release and control descent like the autoblock loop does.

An autoblock (French Prusik) is better suited for backing up your ATC.

An autoblock (French Prusik) is better suited for backing up your ATC.

That was my thought as well. I just liked the knot management of the distel better. Might have to make another order from dano for a Beal jammy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I use my right hand to tend my knot. I run a schewbash, but it is very similar to the French pursik or distel hitch. This setup with a simple figure 8 from my adjustable bridge has been AWESOME!

I use my right hand to tend my knot. I run a schewbash, but it is very similar to the French pursik or distel hitch. This setup with a simple figure 8 from my adjustable bridge has been AWESOME!
So you are able to pull down on the schewbash to allow you to descend with out it biting to munch?

So you are able to pull down on the schewbash to allow you to descend with out it biting to munch?
The figure 8 on my main line takes most of the friction and flows very smoothly. I takes almost no effort to break it loose and let myself down but catches as soon as I release my hold on the hitch. I can also stop on a stick and tend myself back if need be by pulling slack back through the 8 plate and then tending the schwebash with my normal tender setup. the beauty is, even if I broke it wide open and it somehow got stuck, it would still just lower me at a reasonable rate of speed.

That was my thought as well. I just liked the knot management of the distel better. Might have to make another order from dano for a Beal jammy.

There's a few posts that say the Sterling Hollow Block has the best friction as an autoblock on oplux but still easy to unlock so I've been using it for that and works great. I use the jammy for the main prusik.

Sent from up in a tree

I am no expert by any stretch. I use a beal jammy in an auto block configuration while rappelling. I take it off after each decent to get the rope out of the tree. I think removing the distel hitch would be a pain compared to the auto block. The auto block stops me immediately when I want it to.

I am no expert by any stretch. I use a beal jammy in an auto block configuration while rappelling. I take it off after each decent to get the rope out of the tree. I think removing the distel hitch would be a pain compared to the auto block. The auto block stops me immediately when I want it to.
I will be using my rappel line as me tree tether so I won't have to worry about removing the knots. I tried the autoblock and it works well, but I didn't think to test distel. I have a distel with aider setup on lineman's belt and I like the one handed operation when needing to shorten it up or lengthen it. I guess I was not sure if the distel could be used one handed to control decent while under load.

Is the figure 8 a better option than a belay device for rappelling down, or just a more inexpensive option?

Is the figure 8 a better option than a belay device for rappelling down, or just a more inexpensive option?
A figure 8 is gonna far and away be the cheapest option available. Yes.

it’s less packable. But I also really trust it. Mine fits in the side of a dump pouch. No biggie.
It has less moving parts and will be more versatile in terms of how it can be rigged.

A figure 8 is gonna far and away be the cheapest option available. Yes.

it’s less packable. But I also really trust it. Mine fits in the side of a dump pouch. No biggie.
It has less moving parts and will be more versatile in terms of how it can be rigged.

I don’t know. A figure eight doesn’t have less moving parts than an ATC and they cost about the same.

Don’t get me wrong, most of my rappelling has been with a figure eight but for a 30’ descent post hunt there are better options. Just my opinion of course.

This is my setup.

All ropes are Oplux and all friction hitches are TRC ties in a distel and or a scwabisch hitch. I did tie my TRC using the double fisherman’s knot or poachers knot but I only had a long enough section to tie this without a stopper knot and noticed that the tag end of the knots were getting shorter. Bought 4 foot sections and tied figure 8 loops on each end for an eye to eye and backed each loop with a stopper knot.

Short tether is 10’ and has a distel hitch.
Bridge is 8’ and has a distel hitch with a tender.
Lineman’s belt also has the distel hitch with a tender.
Rappel rope is 52’ and has a Madrock safeguard and once on this rope I back it up with an autoblock that is placed on my right side. It controls my descent as I simply open my madrock and smoothly walk down the tree.

I'm trying to envision manipulating the autoblock on the way up the tree in a single stick scenario with a safeguard. Is it cumbersome? Do you wait till you're at height to attach the autoblock? I have only used predator rope with my safeguard so far with no autoblock, but I recently purchased a jammy.

I'm trying to envision manipulating the autoblock on the way up the tree in a single stick scenario with a safeguard. Is it cumbersome? Do you wait till you're at height to attach the autoblock? I have only used predator rope with my safeguard so far with no autoblock, but I recently purchased a jammy.

I do not use the safeguard and autoblock to go up the tree...just to rappel down and to hold me at hunting height.

I do not use the safeguard and autoblock to go up the tree...just to rappel down and to hold me at hunting height.

I to use my rappel rope for one sticking and as my tether. Rope is 8mm oplux and hitch is 6mm accessory cord from the local arborist store (not sure of brand). I tried a distel first and noticed some slippage at ground level when I put my legs into it an pushed out from the tree. I switched to a schwabish with king mini figure 8 as a tender and did not have that issue, so that’s what I stuck with. My belay device is a ATC style. Rappel is smooth but not quite as smooth as with a French prussik. A little more practice though and it will smooth out. I didn’t want to mess with changing out hitches and the auto block doesn’t work as a tether hitch.

Is the safeguard worth the extra money over a figure 8 or a belay devise? I am going to make the jump to rappelling down and am wondering what is the best way to go about it. I would be wanting to stop to retrieve the platform and steps/step. I would like to one stick up, but due to age and back fusion, I’m not sure that is a possibility

Back