• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Distel to caribeaner question

raysting06

So I had just recently bought my first saddle set up. And I quickly learned I would like to use my linesmen and tether one handed . So found the Prusik and tender threw this forum somewhere. The Prusik and tender works fine on my linesmen rope “maybe because the coils of Prusik don’t sinch down as much on linemen’s”. But my tether the coils sinch down harder and make it not really possible to adjust one handed. So I was gonna look Into distel knot before buying a ropeman 1. But my question is how/what knot do I tie to make the loops on end of knot that go to caribeaner? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poachers knot or scaffold knot. A scaffold knot is the poachers knot with an extra loop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200531-174358_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200531-174358_Gallery.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 127
Thank you! Do you guys prefer these set ups with tender over ropeman1?

Reactions: PJC
Thank you! Do you guys prefer these set ups with tender over ropeman1?

Yes. I liked the Ropeman with my larger Tethrd tether but when I went to Oplux I started using the distal hitch. Distal hitch will bind up some as well but not as tight as a prusik will.

Does any body know which size rope I should for the distel hitch on the tethrd 1/2 inch tether?

Does any body know which size rope I should for the distel hitch on the tethrd 1/2 inch tether?

Are you saying what diameter? I usually shoot for about 2/3 the diameter of what I'm tying it to.

Edit: If you're buying new rope... might as well get an eye-to-eye and skip the whole tying poachers knot part.

Are you saying what diameter? I usually shoot for about 2/3 the diameter of what I'm tying it to.

Edit: If you're buying new rope... might as well get an eye-to-eye and skip the whole tying poachers knot part.
Is there an eye to eye that works with Oplux?

Yeah the rope I was trying to untie from the Prusik was not coming undone so I’m just gonna ride up to rei and get a eye to eye. Ha

Scaffold knot is larger than poacher's knot due to double wrap. Both are probably strong enough, however quantitative tests (I'll look for link) showed the scaffold knot (double fisherman's on a bight) is almost as strong as a figure 8 knot and stronger than the single version. I use the scaffold knot for this reason. It is largely a mental thing and seeing the two wraps.

Here is that link about strength. I believe the closest to scaffold would be double fish(erman's) as far as comparison (scaffold is using a double fisherman's back onto itself).

another

Last edited:
What eye to eye rope are you guys buying for the distiel hitch on linesman/tether Oplux?

I’m not a fan on knots because I want to save bulk.

What eye to eye rope are you guys buying for the distiel hitch on linesman/tether Oplux?

I couldn't find a 6mm eye to eye. Knots on the 6mm TRC are small so no issue.

Most sewn eyes to eyes (and sewn loops) are for arborists and are very long for our purposes. I've spent hours looking. Closest thing is aerohunter and I believe wessupr sell a short sewn eye to eye for samson predator, but it is too thick for oplux. I've considered having custom eyes sewn in 6 mm TRC, which works really well with oplux. One of these days, a saddle hunter will figure out how to use their industrial sewing machine sew rope eyes. I think it is just a long bar tack where the ropes are pushed together with probably a vise during sewing and probably a blunt needle is used.

Back