• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY adjustable bridge video

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Just uploaded a video demonstrating how to make an adjustable bridge using nothing more then nylon tubular webbing. With it you can make adjustments while you're out in the field and you can do away with the two carbineers used to attach a bridge with loops. Hopefully this will help some find time their system to get the brand length that works for them.

https://youtu.be/WTTuNDFG3G0
[youtube]WTTuNDFG3G0[/youtube]

Great video Dave!

I did the exact same thing when I had a saddle that looked very similar to the one in your video.

Back to the drawing board for me...

I forgot to mention that I was messing around with this in my garage, I used a Blake's Hitch on my lead line so that I could simply tie a bowline around my bridge and completely remove the lead line carabineer from the equation. No metal at all.

If you go this route, I highly recommend you secure your bowline with an overhand knot to ensure that it doesn't work itself loose. All in all I felt safe hanging in the static manner that we use these saddles for, but I opted to keep using that one carabineer. The length of rope needed for a 5-turn blake's hitch and bowline was too bulky, and for me a carabineer was 'better'.

Scott F said:
I forgot to mention that I was messing around with this in my garage, I used a Blake's Hitch on my lead line so that I could simply tie a bowline around my bridge and completely remove the lead line carabineer from the equation. No metal at all.

If you go this route, I highly recommend you secure your bowline with an overhand knot to ensure that it doesn't work itself loose. All in all I felt safe hanging in the static manner that we use these saddles for, but I opted to keep using that one carabineer. The length of rope needed for a 5-turn blake's hitch and bowline was too bulky, and for me a carabineer was 'better'.

I agree i will keep the ropeman1 and carbineer for my lead for now. Just too convenient to attach once you get to height and adjust the tree rope length.

But for those that want to eliminate the two carbineers on the bridge and to be able to customize the length of the bridge this should give you that option.

The same thing can be done with rope as well as webbing.

Thanks,
Boswell

Thanks for the video, great food for thought

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you water knot both ends? If not, what do you use for the end you do not water knot?

Thanks!

In Dave's video he could have simply used a girth hitch instead of the carabineer because he was using a rabbit runner sling, but I think that he was focusing on demonstrating how to tie and use a water knot.

[youtube][/youtube]
Scott F said:
In Dave's video he could have simply used a girth hitch instead of the carabineer because he was using a rabbit runner sling, but I think that he was focusing on demonstrating how to tie and use a water knot.

I really wanted to emphasize that it can be done with just strapping. There are several knots that can be used i just demonstrated an easy one. I know for me i want to go as light as i can and get rid of unnecessary metal.... II think it will be helpful when dealing with leaning trees. I know the length of bridge i personally like.... But many do not so this is an option so you don't have to buy a lot of length runners to learn.

Back