• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY AIDER

KYdalton

Hey saddle brothers, season opener is next Saturday and I still find myself doing last minute changes to my gear. That being said last year I ran 8 wild edge steps and managed to get about 18ft. Plenty high enough in the right cover. I wanted to pack less steps this year and wanted to purchase an aider. I bought a 4 step aider off amazon and hated it. The stirrups were too small and squeezed my feet to the.point where it was too uncomfortable. Plus I found that it isn't easy using an aider on WE steps bc the carabiner slides back and forth on the rung. Soooooo I decided to make some modifications to the steps and make my own 5 step aider. I will post pics of the mods. Would love to hear your guys thoughts and ideas

I see guys taking cut rubber tube and zip tying it to the rung with a gap in the middle for a carabiner. That keeps it centered. Or wrap the entire rung and use zip ties to keep carabiner in the middle.

I'd say wrap the whole rung so it cuts out metal to metal contact.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Have you tested it out? I've considered something like this as I also want carry in as little as possible. 8 primal steps are light but if I can make it lighter, I will.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

The mods I made to the steps worked great but the aider I had to make some changes. When I got to the top step of the aider it got too narrow to get my foot in, I also found that I only really need a three step aider and with 5 steps I can easily get 20 ftScreenshot_20200829-221709_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200829-221709_Gallery.jpg

Back