• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Aluminum Cleat

That cut would make it a lot less sturdy and actually add to the mfg cost.... wasn’t sturdiness the issue the ameristep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That cut would make it a lot less sturdy and actually add to the mfg cost.... wasn’t sturdiness the issue the ameristep?

I know my non-recal ones are solid. I thought an issue with the polymer was the culprit?

What if you angled those "teeth" on the back side downwards. Kind of like a cheese grater to bit into the park when you put pressure on it? The ameristeps are smooth, which I think contributes to their slippage for some folks.

Good thought with the downward teeth but the concern was it would put a lotta stress on the teeth and could snap em off... I like the plastic dip idea for sure. Think it would stay on?

My Ameristeps are rock solid and they're really old. If these are aluminum you'd have no issues with strength. But a coated aluminum could work too.

Good thought with the downward teeth but the concern was it would put a lotta stress on the teeth and could snap em off... I like the plastic dip idea for sure. Think it would stay on?

I think if you had enough of them and kept it short, you'd be ok. Not an engineer by any means though.

As for the plastidip, it should? I'm just trying to selfishly make sure that any prototypes suit my own needs. lol.

Seriously though, noise and slippage are the two cons I hear brought up the most with ameristeps. If you could solve those two issues, you'd have a sho'nuff winner.

Ya I was thinking about sand blasting them and a coat of matte pain... are the ameristeps noisy?

Ya I was thinking about sand blasting them and a coat of matte pain... are the ameristeps noisy?

Depends on who you ask. They have a bit of a "clonk" if you manhandle them. I don't mind it, but a coating would help. I've wrapped mine and liked the results, but they wear pretty hard and nothing lasts.

Something else to chew on would be the possibility of moving to a 1.5 or 2" strap. That could allow you to put a little more pressure on them, and possibly help with the steps twisting. In a saddle you apply force to them at a bit of an angle.

Good call that drawing considers a 2” strap... mulling over the aluminum thickness without my family discount it’s a little pricey to cut

How about this? Had my brother draw this up, but I hate step platforms.... So it never went anywhere.
606f463135b07b34fe5d968278749fb1.jpg
5dd80b907924b6ccea6930262dc28699.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

How about this? Had my brother draw this up, but I hate step platforms.... So it never went anywhere.

Scary how similar it looks to the aluminum ameristep I sold. I think somebody needs to start making them again. Tethrd? Lone Wolf? Ameristep? Heroic SaddleHunter member?

I like it! Clever idea for the strap housing

Scary how similar it looks to the aluminum ameristep I sold. I think somebody needs to start making them again. Tethrd? Lone Wolf? Ameristep? Heroic SaddleHunter member?

Doesn’t bullman make a version? How much were the ameristeps?

I'd give my left nut for somebody to start offering a smaller, aluminum ameristep again. Gotta be a reason @redsquirrel hordes them for hisself!
No one wants a busted left nut... Lol.

Seriously though what kind costs would you be looking at and what would the dimensions be.
For that green cad one perhaps adjust that bottom piece to have a downward facing "tooth" to dig into the tree. Just an idea.

No one wants a busted left nut... Lol.

Seriously though what kind costs would you be looking at and what would the dimensions be.
For that green cad one perhaps adjust that bottom piece to have a downward facing "tooth" to dig into the tree. Just an idea.

Too expensive! lol My first quote I got back to waterjet was like $225 for a set of 5... 80% of that was in material (6061 AL). Obviously thats the price for a one off would come down if I could make a bunch and optimize a standard plate size. Trying to work out a deal to bring it down. I'll post pics if I can get it done.

Back