• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY boot insulator feedback

raisins

SH Member
Hi,

I got a free pair of heavy duty boot covers in XXL, which are big enough for lacrosse boots plus some insulation.

https://www.myshoecovers.com/collect...le-shoe-covers

They have a simple, symmetrical oval sole and then the sides are straight with an elastic gather at the top, so an oval cylinder once stretched open.

My plan so far is:

1. turn them inside out to access inside
2. stretch them open with something
3. cut pieces of reflective emergency blanket and glue that to bottom and sides
4. glue 1 layer of 200 weight polar fleece to sides
5. glue 2 layers of same fleece to sole
6. turn right side out
7. glue another piece of fleece to outside sides
8. stitch sides and sole to reinforce glue and tie everything together, with stitches going through outside and inside fleece layers on the side
9. might add chemical warmer pockets on inside

Please pick this apart or give any suggestions that spring to mind.

I know it will likely be easier just to buy some (and I probably will), but it is fun to tinker. And who knows, these might be just as warm or warmer and pack down smaller. I know they are VERY easy to take off and on, at least prior to modification.

I'm afraid of the foil blanket being loud, but I think gluing it well/smooth to the interior and then gluing/stitching fleece to it should make it quiet.

I'm doing two layers of fleece on the inside sole because I want to keep the grippy rubber outer sole. I am putting 1 layer of fleece on the outside to quiet the nylon sides in case they brush together.

Thanks - R

Awesome. You make them in SZ 13? Ill take 2 pair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. You make them in SZ 13? Ill take 2 pair

I'll keep it in mind if this works and I want to make a pair. The actual covers are $20, so with labor and additional materials I think they would be about the same price as Arctic Shield boot insulators. The main reason I'm doing this is because I got the shoe covers for free and I like to tinker.

I wear a size 12 and my lacrosse aerohead boots have HUGE external dimensions for that size boot, and the XXLs slip right over them easily.

These would be similar to Hotmocs which they quit making a few years back.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hot...6qfiAhUEA6wKHWBtAOkQ_AUIEygA&biw=1600&bih=789

I dug my original ice breaker boot blankets out a few weeks ago. No way I'm wearing those in a treestand. I remember them being warm but they are just huge.

Ya im a 13 and love my lacrosse areoheads 7mm but my feet always freeze me out of a good hunt every time.

I’m curious about this project. Any updates? I’m just starting to think about doing something along these lines.

Back