• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY bow hanger

ThereWillBeSpuds

Here is my lightweight bow hanger solution. I made it from paracord, an aluminum knitting needle, some spring steel from old style windshield wipers and a wee bit of tubular webbing.

It weighs in at 24 grams plus the weight of the length of paracord you use to attach it to the tree. With 12 feet of paracord it comes out to about 50g.

The first two pics give you an idea of what it looks like installed on the tree, the third pic shows it holding a 10lb weight.

It was a fairly simple build and I only had to buy the kintting needle (2 for under 4 bucks at walmart.)

What follows is a painfully verbose blow by blow of how to make one for yourself.

Materials :

1x 14 inch #7 aluminum knitting needle

40 inches 550 paracord

2x old style windshield wiper blade (the type with multiple little arches supporting the blade, stop by a few autozone type stores and check the bins out front.)

Duck tape

Saran wrap

A few inches of tubular webbing

Tools:

Needle and thread.

Hacksaw

Bypass wirecutters

Sharp scissors

Lighter for melting ends.

Fineish Sandpaper

1: Using the hacksaw, cut the knitting needle to 10 inches long, leaving the point on it. Sand the cut edge, deburring and beveling the edges.

2: cut a piece of paracord 15 inches long, do not melt the ends. Pull the inner cords out and discard.

3: Ease the pointed end of the knitting needle into the outer sheath of the paracord and shimmy it all the way down until the point is sticking out of the other end. It will be a tight fit.

4: Cut off the point, leaving the knitting needle about 9 inches long. Sand to debur and bevel.

5: Shimmy the needle back until it is entirely inside the paracord, then a little more, so that there is about 5 inches of slack paracord on one end of the needle and about 1 inch on the other end.

6: trim the freyed ends, melt them, and flatten them.

7: On the end with the longer tail, sew a loop thats big enough for a piece of paracord to pass through it. The loop should bring the length of that tail down to 2 inches long or less.

◇ what you should have now is a piece of paracord sheathing about 14.5 inches long with a 9 inch piece of knitting needle inside it. One end should have floppy paracord sheathing sewn into a loop totaling about 2 inches the other should have a little less than one inch of floppy paracord sheathing. Both ends should be melted and pressed flat to prevent fraying.

8: Grab the windshield wiper blades and grasp the rubber bit at the end. Peel it away from the metal frame, freeing two narrow pieces of spring steel.

9: Using the bypass wire cutters, cut the notched ends off the pieces of spring steel and then cut out 2 pieces 6 inches long and 2 pieces 2.75 inches long. Sand all cut edges to debur and round corners

10: Wrap each end of all four pieces of spring steel with duct tape to prevent them puncturing the paracord sheath we will be putting them in soon. Dont use too much or you will not be able to get them through the sheathing. My method uses only a 1inch piece for each end.

11: Place one long piece of spring steel and one short piece end to end on a piece of saran wrap with about half an inch between them. Wrap them up with 3 or 4 layers and trim excess. Pull and twist the ends and trim them, leaving about half an inch of twisted saran wrap at either end. Repeat for the other pair of steel strips.

◇ You should now have a pair of saran wrap tubes with 2 spring steel strips inside each of them (1 short one long in each tube). They should be able to fold on themselves between the two strip of steel

12: Cut a piece of paracord 22 inches long do not melt the ends. Remove the inner cords and discard.

13: Take one of the saran wrap tubes and find the end with the longer piece of spring steel. Feed that end into the paracord sheath until it is entirely inside.

14: Feed the other saran wrap tube in from the other end

15: Work them toward the center until there is about half an inch of floppy sheathing between them.

16: Trim the ends down to 1 inch of empty sheathing and melt and flatten the ends.

17: Pass the piece of paracord with with spring steel inside through the loop sewn on the other paracord and center the loop.

18: Take the three remaining loose 1 inch ends on the pieces and sew them together.

19: place the three ends you just sewed inside the scrap of tubular webbing and fold it in half. Sew that together.

At this point all there is left to do is position it on the paracord to attach it to the tree. I do that by tying overhand knots in the cord around the top corners of the hanger.

I will post detail pics in comments below to clarify somewhat.

Photos 1&2 show the hanger attached to the tree

3 shows it holding a 10lb weight

4 shows it holding my bow

eb8054653ea3d5e0208beab84286a289.jpg
cb073b801b165e748f2dbd37192fd352.jpg
96abcb395eb8a5966bec6a2e9bcf99ca.jpg
d7db312d9729d74e5502eb7a3b055ed1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: POC
This picture shows the scrap of tubular webbing folded on itself and sewn over the 1 inch loose ends of the hanger. This forms the bottom of the hanger and rests against the tree.
decc62cf94a6dd85f929a2902bd9f87b.jpg

The first of these two shows the loop sewn on the center strut. You can see bulges on the side pieces that are caused by duct tape buildup on the ends. You can also the the bulge in the center strut that marks the end of the knitting needle.

The second picture is the overall hanger before it is attached to the paracord that I use to attach it.
ee6929f98ad65fa007dda23fd9b4bc95.jpg
7ebff2f643b23bbdfd3e86a6aa0a9956.jpg

Here is how I attach it to my paracord to hang it on the tree.
f5c1fc49c5210cc641610641fc01141c.jpg
ca56e0f3440c321e331a047f0e7c0631.jpg
8db77421bce8f5690b27fedc0ef98263.jpg
723b4855b0a0f96dabc59ae6062b4656.jpg
333df47212154d0446f6e8a0c7cc6e4a.jpg

Sorry for the potato quality of the last batch of pics, tapatalk kept crashing until I downsized the photos. Also I am sorry all the photos are sideways, unsure how to fix that.

Back