• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy cast aluminum platform?

Wolverinebuckman

Has anyone here tried backyard sand casting their own platform? I've seen a few YouTube videos of guys doing backyard sand casting of aluminum... other stuff, not platforms.

I was heading down that road prior to last season. I honestly used stepps as a platform and enjoyed that so much it took the fire out of my belly to do it. I also came up with a different concept, and the predator came out.

I have access to everything needed to fabricate one now, so I will probably not continue to pursue a casting. Very labor intensive if you've not gone through the learning curve of that type of work.

Last edited:
Me personally, I would leave to a metallurgist & a PE. $200 for a stand like a predator is cheap Money in the scheme of things

I would be concerned about quality of the alloy and impurities. I'm sure it would be possible if you could be your hands on some 356. A big run of lots of casts would make the money.

The interest lies a little deeper than just the platform, i have something else in mind too.
Intriguingly vague. I like it. Keep the diy spirit alive. I say go for it, just don’t take any unnecessary risks and let us know about that other idea! The learning curve doing castings is a big one though. Look for someone local who does it. For a small fee they’d probably be willing to give you some pointers and maybe even let u help do a caste. Hands on beats a video any day.

Just go for it, but it can be really dangerous if ya don't know what your doing. Mostly melting the aluminum from scrap. You gotta get a brinell hardness tester and have pure forms of your alloy material to know what you're final alloy will be. Plus compensation for the contraction of the material, micro cracks in the metal, and finding time to set up your forge. Buying materials to make the forge, casting sand, etc etc. It all adds up... Not trying to scare ya off, for god sakes do it and show us how lol. But just be safe... I wish someone would make one out carbon fiber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I like the idea of seeking out someone local to glean from. I will probably back burner the idea until after season at this point. Definitely need to put some more research into it.
When I have something more than just a thought in my head, I'll make sure to show it off! Thanks for the support.

I was tossing this idea around but to get a configuration like the predator or xop is next to impossible for a newbie like myself. Just to many variables to get a good pour with that many intersections over that distance. I think most would be better off diy their own platform from a plate of aluminum and using. A drill and grinder with a cutoff wheel.

I was tossing this idea around but to get a configuration like the predator or xop is next to impossible for a newbie like myself. Just to many variables to get a good pour with that many intersections over that distance. I think most would be better off diy their own platform from a plate of aluminum and using. A drill and grinder with a cutoff wheel.
Second to that, it would probably be alot easier to get something that you know would be the correct type of alloy and DIY the thing with a drill press and grinders.

I started thinking about doing something similar after I saw Dan's stand. I wish I could remember how think his platform was. I think it was a half inch. It gets pretty expensive, pretty quick, but you could make an excellent lightweight stand or platform.

If it's a one time DIY deal, you are better off machining the whole thing and accepting the waste material.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I was considering doing this just before the predator was in the making. But material cost goes way up when you get bigger than 12x12 unless you get lucky on eBay. By the time I added everything up I was over the cost of the predator.

I was considering doing this just before the predator was in the making. But material cost goes way up when you get bigger than 12x12 unless you get lucky on eBay. By the time I added everything up I was over the cost of the predator.

Yep. Predator is a bargain. I was referring to endless customization the DIY route.

Honestly, the predator is damn near perfect. We spent a lot of time tweaking the design.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

When this topic first came up I started to rack my brain about diy forming/welding/fabricating alum. in order to avoid the sand cast. The dollar amount for my time went up above the predator. I've about decided to make a platform, digging @tbowers and @Slomo (Bowsite) designs to practice off of (to make sure im the platform type).

Back