• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy cayg retracting aiders?

I have darn near the same exact thing as you do. There a couple of differences in mine though. I have a bungee cord to attach to the bottom, then wrap around the back of my boot, so they don't slip off my feet. The hook on the top, I have another 2 bungee cords attached to my saddle that I put the loop through the hook so I can wear my saddle then easily attach the bungees to the hook when I get to the tree. And I used some of the cheap treestand harnesses that they give you when you buy a stand instead of the webbing. I have tested it out and found that it works awesome!

Attachments

• Cayg Aider.jpg
    Cayg Aider.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Cayg aider 2.jpg
    Cayg aider 2.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 82
I have darn near the same exact thing as you do. There a couple of differences in mine though. I have a bungee cord to attach to the bottom, then wrap around the back of my boot, so they don't slip off my feet. The hook on the top, I have another 2 bungee cords attached to my saddle that I put the loop through the hook so I can wear my saddle then easily attach the bungees to the hook when I get to the tree. And I used some of the cheap treestand harnesses that they give you when you buy a stand instead of the webbing. I have tested it out and found that it works awesome!

Right on brother!

Right on brother! I used water knots and the girth hitch around my boot gives me great confidence and I feel like it would never slip off. I love that the hooks "auto retract" as you step up and are right back next to your legs.

Right on brother!

Right on brother! I used water knots and the girth hitch around my boot gives me great confidence and I feel like it would never slip off. I love that the hooks "auto retract" as you step up and are right back next to your legs.
Oh for Sure! So you don't have to mess around as you are climbing up your sticks! I used the other CAYG aiders that you put on each step and it was alright, but a lot of messing around trying to get them onto the next step each time. Then if you drop it, you better hope you have a back up aider!!!

Oh for Sure! So you don't have to mess around as you are climbing up your sticks! I used the other CAYG aiders that you put on each step and it was alright, but a lot of messing around trying to get them onto the next step each time. Then if you drop it, you better hope you have a back up aider!!!
Confidence plays a huge part in safety. I don't have the confidence when coming down in low light if I'm searching for footing on other aiders

Why have two the same length?
I have mine the same length. They are both about 36 inches long or so. The reason for that is because when I bring one leg up, it gets attached to the bottom step of my 2 step Helium sticks, then I bring my other leg up to attach it to the top step. My third step then gets my actual feet onto the bottom step of the climbing stick. I went over this numerous times figuring out what the best method would be for this and that is the best solution I came up with. So standing on the top of my stick will get me to about 70 - 80 inches. So doing so makes every step that I take be about 17-18 inches except for the first step from the ground. That step is as far as I can reach to the bottom of the climbing stick.

I have mine the same length. They are both about 36 inches long or so. The reason for that is because when I bring one leg up, it gets attached to the bottom step of my 2 step Helium sticks, then I bring my other leg up to attach it to the top step. My third step then gets my actual feet onto the bottom step of the climbing stick. I went over this numerous times figuring out what the best method would be for this and that is the best solution I came up with. So standing on the top of my stick will get me to about 70 - 80 inches.

Im about 3.5" longer on my first step but it seems to work so far. I might make adjustments after some more tree time.

Nice thing about yours is that they are knots and can be adjusted. I sewed mine, so if I were to want to make adjustments it would be a pain!

The sewn terminations are neater and look much better though! I was thinking of using some kind of clip to attach the shock cord to the hooks but I dont mind just feeding the length through the d loops. I have zip ties to keep the shock cord at the top of the hooks. I feel like the hooks release much better when the cord is pulling up as close to the hook as possible.

The sewn terminations are neater and look much better though! I was thinking of using some kind of clip to attach the shock cord to the hooks but I dont mind just feeding the length through the d loops. I have zip ties to keep the shock cord at the top of the hooks. I feel like the hooks release much better when the cord is pulling up as close to the hook as possible.
Yeah, I thought about using the bigger loop on the hook rather than attaching to the hook itself. The only worry I have with attaching to the hook itself is that at some point if it gets loose it could come off of the hook itself and bang on my climbing stick or something else metal. If I get a chance I will upload a few pictures of mine attached to my saddle. I might also do a video showing how I use them.

Yeah, I thought about using the bigger loop on the hook rather than attaching to the hook itself. The only worry I have with attaching to the hook itself is that at some point if it gets loose it could come off of the hook itself and bang on my climbing stick or something else metal. If I get a chance I will upload a few pictures of mine attached to my saddle. I might also do a video showing how I use them.

Yeah, right on. I was thinking of doing a video myself.

I have mine the same length. They are both about 36 inches long or so. The reason for that is because when I bring one leg up, it gets attached to the bottom step of my 2 step Helium sticks, then I bring my other leg up to attach it to the top step. My third step then gets my actual feet onto the bottom step of the climbing stick. I went over this numerous times figuring out what the best method would be for this and that is the best solution I came up with. So standing on the top of my stick will get me to about 70 - 80 inches. So doing so makes every step that I take be about 17-18 inches except for the first step from the ground. That step is as far as I can reach to the bottom of the climbing stick.
Got it, thanks.

Back