• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Climbing Stick question

noxninja

Noodling the idea of making my own mini climbing sticks. Has anyone ever made any, and if so would you share pics and specs?

I think it's hard to beat a cut API stick, weight aside. I cut mine down to 24", and like them.

For the price $80 on sale, you get lots of hardware. It's cheap enough to either get a drill press to make holes or buy thinner square tubing. I'll probably drill mine and consider switching to amsteel.
b7ca1769d7778aa25abcbe107b502ef0.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Are you satisfied with 3 cutdown API sticks or would you try to make a 4th with the leftover hardware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you satisfied with 3 cutdown API sticks or would you try to make a 4th with the leftover hardware?

I like mine with sewn in webbing steps. There aren't enough tree brackets to make 4. It would be nice to be a little higher sometimes.
a4a802c71ce1bdc8897e6c786b42bf8d.jpg
ca65710c4749c4343c662524e91c06c4.jpg
51743ca1a924db1a83ee3444e2a82ed4.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I used to have 4 lone wolf sticks. I think that 3 is a better number. A fourth stick to me just complicates things. I've considered switching from a single step to a two step aider, which would allow me to hit over 20ft, but it's just hard to beat the simplicity of a tubular webbing loop and 3 sticks.

I like mine with sewn in webbing steps. There aren't enough tree brackets to make 4. It would be nice to be a little higher sometimes.
a4a802c71ce1bdc8897e6c786b42bf8d.jpg
ca65710c4749c4343c662524e91c06c4.jpg
51743ca1a924db1a83ee3444e2a82ed4.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
The boat cleat is slick. I'm 99% sure that is what I will be doing to my API's when I cut them down.

Has anyone just welded aluminum tubing horizontally to the post for steps? Seems like the ticket to me from a cost perspective. Most folks are not setup to weld, much less weld aluminum. But I happen to have recently acquired a setup to do so.

Has anyone just welded aluminum tubing horizontally to the post for steps? Seems like the ticket to me from a cost perspective. Most folks are not setup to weld, much less weld aluminum. But I happen to have recently acquired a setup to do so.
yep simple and effective, its how my original API's were built

Id cut the tubing on a slight angle and weld on 2 pieces for a step instead of 1 straight step. Climb one of those cheap stick ladders where they are straight out and wont take long to hate them. Doesnt take much, but angle the step and you slip into the step, not off it.

Id cut the tubing on a slight angle and weld on 2 pieces for a step instead of 1 straight step. Climb one of those cheap stick ladders where they are straight out and wont take long to hate them. Doesnt take much, but angle the step and you slip into the step, not off it.

Lol I actually like the cheap ones with straight tubing steps minus the 100 pounds of steel in each set.

Lol I actually like the cheap ones with straight tubing steps minus the 100 pounds of steel in each set.

Could always add a tab to edge of step if you were concerned. Or just add traction tape.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is my first version of diy sticks. Next version I will try to reduce weight by tapering the steps and maybe drill holes thru them and the tubing.
.125" wall aluminum tubing 24"
.250 X 1.5" aluminum flat stock 8" for step
LW versa button stick and brackets with 1/4" grade 8 hardware
2 step aider from 1" tubular webbing with 8" piece of 11mm static line inside to shape a step
8' piece of 8mm cord for rope mod
I welded the steps on and bolted the tree brackets. Final weight is around 2lbs 8ozs.

Attachments

• 20181121_103937.jpg
    20181121_103937.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20181121_104015.jpg
    20181121_104015.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 108

You in Michigan, make ya a good deal. lol Ive slipped off them enough to not even open the second set I bought. The cheap ones that angle are way better in my experience. Now if I ever get my own land, Ill get the actual ladder style to fully enclose my boot.

Back